marriage

Deerculler

Surin relic
On a page in my passport I have:

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

Type of Visa Category No of Entry

Non-immigrant O-A M

My question is.
What is on a passport when a person stays in Thailand if a person decides to use marriage instead of O-A
Hope I have explained it correctly.

Type O-A......Muti-entry

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.
As far as I am aware Les to change to a marriage visa you must leave Thailand and obtain a 3 month marriage visa ( 2k from Vientiane )this can then be extended for one year with the normal stipulations for a marriage visa which you can find in the visa section of this forum( SEE BELOW..:) )

http://www.surinfarang.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5096

Last edited by a moderator:
Les, I think you have a few options here ,you can go and extend your existing visa when it runs out and carry on staying here on your retirement visa.But to do this you must show a pension , income ,money in the bank or the accumulation of the two that adds up to 800k plus . If you have a pension of 800k plus you just get a letter from the NZ Embassy confirming this or say you pension is 600k you must have 200k plus in the bank here to make up the difference.money in the bank must be in there 3 months before you apply for your visa extension.
The other option is to change to a marriage visa but a 3 month marriage visa must be obtained as my first post or by going to Savannakhet in Laos .To obtain the marriage visa extension after the 3 month visa expires you must have a pension of 400k ,400k in the bank or and income of 40k a month,all as the link for the marriage visa.
There is a possible third option of going to Savannakhet and re-newing your one year Type O-A visa as is described in this thread..
http://www.surinfarang.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5006

I hope this added info helps Les..:)

Could he not just go to Korat one month before the O-A visa expires and apply for a visa extension based on marriage to a Thai?

I think that's what I did 4 years ago and now extend it annually.

Could he not just go to Korat one month before the O-A visa expires and apply for a visa extension based on marriage to a Thai?

I think that's what I did 4 years ago and now extend it annually.

But 4 years ago you would have been 50 so you wouldn't have had a retirement visa Dave ....:?
Buy you may well be correct Dave , I am no expert, these are only my opinion's but a phone call to Immigration could be in order for Les to be sure. I didn't think you could change from a retirement Visa to a marriage visa without getting a marriage visa first ,but I could be wrong. Maybe we should ask on Thai Visa....:)

Hi Alan and Dave. Sorry I don't think I explained myself very well. What I really want to know is. What is written on the on the passport if you are living here in Thailand on a non-immigrant O marriage visa. I understand the O A Retirement visa part. With my current OA as it is my first year I just need to Chong Chom into Cambodia, return and I get another year free. Have to pay 1900 Baht. Please correct me if I am wrong but if either of you are on a marriage visa could look for me and see if your passport has just Non Immgrant O or Non Immgrant O Marriage. Sorry to be a pain.

Hi Alan and Dave. Sorry I don't think I explained myself very well. What I really want to know is. What is written on the on the passport if you are living here in Thailand on a non-immigrant O marriage visa. I understand the O A Retirement visa part. With my current OA as it is my first year I just need to Chong Chom into Cambodia, return and I get another year free. Have to pay 1900 Baht. Please correct me if I am wrong but if either of you are on a marriage visa could look for me and see if your passport has just Non Immgrant O or Non Immgrant O Marriage. Sorry to be a pain.

Sorry Les but it sounds like you have a 2 year visa,something I have never had to deal with,so I am not sure.There must be other Australian/NZ members that know.But you must have to do 90 check in's with your T.M.47 ,can you not ask at Immigration the next time you go...:?

My visa just says...non-immigrant .O. ............but it is marriage visa..!

I've asked, lets see what the reply is......:?
It's 9.15 give them a bit of time to come up with the answer..:)
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/417005-changing-visas/

BTW seems Dave was right.....:Bravo1:.. good info Dave...:)
Mario2008 says........
You would not change your visa, but the reason for your extension of stay. Yes, you can do that. As the reason for extension of stay you simply fill in to stay with you Thai wife and give the documents required for that.

You need to show less money, but it will be much more work for you and immigration if you opt for an extension of stay based on marriage. If you have a choice, stay with retirement.

Thank you mario2008...:)

Les
If its any help I have kept a complete pack of all the documents you need for a married to a Thai visa Extension. If you would like to call round sometime (before Friday), I will be happy to talk you through the masses of paper.

Dave & Sri

I have just checked my passport and when you apply they stamp and give you a '30 day consideration' stamp, that stamp has a small red stamp on it saying 'Thai Wife." Then after 30 days you return and get a further stamp for the remaining year (if Agreed)

Thanks you for the offer Dave but Sudjai teaching it makes it a bit late in the day. As I have just said to Alan I got to long winded in my question. Is marriage on the passport that was all.

Back