Milky Mushrooms

Definitely something happening in my box...... and no, this is not a cricketer's story!
Hows about yours, Colin and Steve?

OK a matter of choice. You can effect the shape of your mushrooms by controlling the air flow and humidity. (In very general terms.)
If you close the bag up leaving a small hole the mushrooms will grow a long slender stem. (Humid and little air - high CO2)
With a lot of airflow (roll the bag down to top of the box) and even cut down the sides of the box, the stems will be thick and short.
Either way, the cap will usually grow to about the same size. So now you have the pins is the time to influence the stem development.

Note you still have to control the moisture level. Currently it sounds like everyone has the moisture/humidity about right and changing things will make a difference. So if you play around watch the moisture.

I have 4 boxes from your batch all completely neglected that have pinned. So game on!

Last edited:
Those photos look familiar IssanAussie.

I have replied too.

Mine are coming on very well.

Yeah, I spread them around a bit as always to cover our contacts and family.
Nice to hear the first step to a new mushroom pie recipe is under way.

I have 5 or 6 very big ones which look perfect. However, many of the tiny ones coming up have a brownish tinge which suggests I have over-sprayed.

Will they correct themselves if I cut down the water or are they gonners? Help, IA!!

Arh pictures! They are looking great Stevo, you should be harvesting them soon. Looks like your watering regime is about ideal. There are just pins and shrooms on the surface, that's great. Also having them spread across the surface is good. Well done.

JohnB, reduce the watering a little, if it is bad, stop for a day or so as well. Remember with the amount of rain and reduced temperatures they will not be needing as much water.
The small ones have had it but, as the larger mushrooms are OK the very small ones will not get much bigger anyway.
Remember it is one organism under the surface and will fruit like a tree, most at once.

Dinner last night was Milky mushroom baked in the oven with a topping of onion, green peppers, lots of garlic, blue cheese, breadcrumbs should have been sprinkled with fresh herbs but had to make do with dried. With garlic bread and a couple of glasses of red wine from the much discussed Mount St Clair box

Mine all eaten too and very good they were. Like Steve wondering what might happen next. Waiting for a second flush.

Pace of events elsewhere seems to have prevented us comparing sizes chaps! The biggest one I harvested had a cap the size of my breakfast cereal bowl.

Well done guys, seems all went well. Hope you enjoyed them
After the flush is finished remove the remainders of fruiting, losen the surface a bit and let the box sit for 5 to 7 days with the bag all but closed. Don't let it dry out to much. Then give it a bit more water than normal and start again.
Did anyone weigh the shrooms you harvested?

Last edited:
Well done guys, seems all went well. Hope you enjoyed them
After the flush is finished remove the remainders of fruiting, losen the surface a bit and let the box sit for 5 to 7 days with the bag all but closed. Don't let it dry out to much. Then give it a bit more water than normal and start again.
Did anyone weigh the shrooms you harvested?
I didn't, they weren't record breakers, they were about the size you see sold in shops in packs of 2 in the UK (I know that description doesn't help you Isaan Aussie)

Mine has started a second flush! New pins forming.
How about you Colin and Steve?

Back