Mixing tilapia and catfish in large lake?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We have a 1,000,000 liter lake stocked with tilapia. We seem to be having a population explosion (no birth control among the tilapia ), which is overtaxing our fish food budget. My wife is recommending adding catfish, which will eat some of the baby tilapia and maybe act as a population balance. Can any of our fish farmers comment on mixing catfish and tilapia? We also have some koi, for fun, which we hope will grow quite large.Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 05.59.01.png

They like to feed on young tilapia? Any suggestions on how to sex them? Not my area of expertise
They feed on anything. Voracious. I don't know myself but ask an old Thai fisherman how to distinguish the sex, or, Google may be your friend. :cool: But you don't want the snakeheads procreating. Otherwise your goldfish will not be happy little fishes. LOL

"What should I feed snakehead fish?

Feeding habits: In nature Snakehead is a voracious carnivore feeding mainly on live animals. Small fry-feed mainly on zooplankton and insect larvae, while larger fry and fingerlings commonly feed on invertebrates, frogs and smaller fish"

That's what the doctor ordered. I hope they get to it before I run out of money buying truckloads of fish food.
They feed on anything. Voracious. I don't know myself but ask an old Thai fisherman how to distinguish the sex, or, Google may be your friend. :cool: But you don't want the snakeheads procreating. Otherwise your goldfish will not be happy little fishes. LOL

"What should I feed snakehead fish?

Feeding habits: In nature Snakehead is a voracious carnivore feeding mainly on live animals. Small fry-feed mainly on zooplankton and insect larvae, while larger fry and fingerlings commonly feed on invertebrates, frogs and smaller fish"

Back