MotoGP 5-7 October

Don't know whether this is good or not but honda just phoned up to offer us 2 days full hospitality on the 6th and 7th including bus from the dealer and tent to sleep in cos we bought the pcx in August. What do you reckon?
Off in to dealer tomorrow to get the details.

Edit. Nit took the phone call so I don't know what was really said.

Robjak, did you take them up on their offer ?
Full hospitality goes a long way...particularly if one is thirsty. :);)

Nice one Coffee. I am very pleased you seemed to have a good day but I think you are slipping. No pics of you with the Grid Girls. :D:D:D

aslms-buriram-2016-lovely-grid-girls.jpg

Wombie, what does being an American have to do with it ?

Yes Marquez, he even got all the glory today.

It had to have been brutal on the track today as surely the heat index was +38°C in the stands.
I surmise flashing at 150 - 190 km/h might provide some relief but I can't imagine what the surface temps were on the asphalt at 2:pM ...(45°F or more ?)

Difficult circumstance to take pics with smartphone with standing crowd waving flags and 'bubble'-sticks along with quickness of motos.
I spent too much time at the Chang line trying to stay lubricated.

I was thinking of the other famous American on this forum (not Cent) when I made that comment, sorry if I offended you........

At your leisure, could you please give us a rundown on the pros and cons of attending this event as I am thinking of going next year. Could you include your opinions on the best seating area/stand, coolest places to watch the race (temperature), best way of getting there, parking etc. I see from one of your pics you were in the main stand but your view of the last passing move on the last corner seems to have been blocked. That would really piss me off. When I considered buying a ticket this year there was not enough information on the website about the location of the seat I would be buying. In Oz when you buy tix to a big event you can view seating plans and select your own seat. I also noticed that the Rossi and Marquez stands may have been facing the afternoon sun which would not be pleasant.

I would even consider buying the VIP ticket next year if I knew what I was entitled to in the package.

Yes, I would particularly like to know how much walking would be required if I arrived by car.

Basically Wombat with over 75,000 (possibly more...some say 100,000) it's a "hump"...a serious hump.

The venue isn't suited for that amount of spectators. Logistics from Surin goes downhill quickly ...particulay in the two lane section of highway...understanding that many camp out in Buriram environs.

They have air-conditioned VIP "catered boxes" with an unrestricted view behind glass above the grandstand. (I guess they each can fit twenty.)
The main grandstand seating is on the south and is covered so no direct sun exposure.
Surely VIP packages provide some pit access...not sure how close. This MotoGP afterall.
Many tickets are sold without definitive seating placement in the grandstand and other areas...so it's a "first come- first served" type of arrangement.

A seating option is along the first straightaway facing east with the main grandstand to your right...except you'll never see any of the finishes.
These are bleachers (long benches) that are on the westside and covered so after noon-ish there is no directed sun.

Shockingly a very well behaved crowd with no raucous behaviour. I did not stick around for the night-time festivities.

Long lines early on for jittneys from parking areas east of the track to entrance access area south of main grandstand.
Nomad, be prepared to walk. Fortunately no thunderstorms or heavy rain. Unbrellas are deadly in the hands of most folks.

Very well organized security and bag checks upon entry.
Personally I don't believe first week of October is a good time in Thailand as heavy rain can last through the month. But I guess Buriram didn't get to choose tour dates. They simply got lucky with a dry spell. (Buddha, eh.)
It's still monsoon season as the tour heads for the Tokyo GP in two weeks.

Last edited:
Nice one Coffee. I am very pleased you seemed to have a good day but I think you are slipping. No pics of you with the Grid Girls. :D:D:D

aslms-buriram-2016-lovely-grid-girls.jpg

I didn't see any of these ladies :disappointed: though the gal on the left appears familiar. They surely weren't behind any counter serving Chang beer or Chester Fried Chicken sandwiches.

(Sadly I do recognize the fellow sitting down in the orange wearing a blue mask.) :p

There is a new track in SriRatcha that might outshone this track for next year as far more easily to get there from BKK???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the run down Coffee, what I expected really. I know I am too old for all those shenanigans so I guess I will have to suffer and watch from the comfort of my air conditioned mancave. Besides, its only a short walk to the fridge for ice cool beers if wanted. :D:D:D

Back