Mumbo Jumbo Crap and local superstitions.

I am sure the little plastic people in their renovated and cleaned house, with their new furniture, would be happier with a little plastic TV and computer. Whether you give them True or CTH, will I suppose require another visit to the temple!

I sense, Nick, that, like me, you are not a believer!

Assuming, Nick and Surin, that, in view of our heretical status, we are going to be reborn as lower forms of life in due course.

I wonder what you would choose? Jellyfish would avoid the problem of consciousness and, let's face it, the only way would be up!

Assuming, Nick and Surin, that, in view of our heretical status, we are going to be reborn as lower forms of life in due course.

I wonder what you would choose? Jellyfish would avoid the problem of consciousness and, let's face it, the only way would be up!

Strike surin from that - he's already been a politician!! Sorry2

And should we mention bankers, Coco?
You are clearly as bored by the Liverpool QPR match as I am.

Just got back from:-

Buriram United 6 : 1 Bangkok United Finished 5' Santo D. 1 - 0 56' Macena G. 2 - 0 59' Jujeen A. 3 - 0 65' Macena G. 4 - 0 73' Ko S-k. 5 - 0 83' Macena G. 6 - 0 6 - 1 Gasmi R. 89'

Think I will try the rest of Sunderland vs Southampton

Buriram United 6 : 1 Bangkok United Finished 5' Santo D. 1 - 0 56' Macena G. 2 - 0 59' Jujeen A. 3 - 0 65' Macena G. 4 - 0 73' Ko S-k. 5 - 0 83' Macena G. 6 - 0 6 - 1 Gasmi R. 89'

Think I will try the rest of Sunderland vs Southampton

I understand, Coco, though I can't help noticing you avoided my question about bankers. As a jellyfish I have a head start on both Surin and yourself in my next life.

The above looks like some kind of secret code, but I gather it is the list of goal scorers and the exact times at which they struck the goals (the latter seemingly irrelevant). Some strange Thai names listed there!

If you did come back as a jellyfish, you could probably barfine and marry a starfish - plenty of them available down here along the coastline at Sin City.

If you did come back as a jellyfish, you could probably barfine and marry a starfish - plenty of them available down here along the coastline at Sin City.

You would know better than most Bill. Did come across more than a few during my earlier Pattaya days.

My wife says I will come back as a snake, in view of the several hundred I have killed during my time here in Thailand.

You would know better than most Bill. Did come across more than a few during my earlier Pattaya days.

My wife says I will come back as a snake, in view of the several hundred I have killed during my time here in Thailand.

Are you St Patrick?

When the taxi bus arrived with the seer yesterday I noticed the driver left the engine running for about 10 minutes after their arrival. I have come across this many times before here in Thailand, with motorbikes as well as cars.

There seems to be a general belief that it is a good idea to leave the engine running for a while after a long journey.

Now I only know three things about cars.....where to put the petrol, how to make them go and how to make them stop. This allowing an engine to run on after a journey seems to me nothing more than a waste of fuel and a booster for atmospheric pollution.

Have I posted this correctly in the mumbo-jumbo thread or is there something in it? I would be grateful if one of you car-savvy gents could comment.

When the taxi bus arrived with the seer yesterday I noticed the driver left the engine running for about 10 minutes after their arrival. I have come across this many times before here in Thailand, with motorbikes as well as cars.

There seems to be a general belief that it is a good idea to leave the engine running for a while after a long journey.

Now I only know three things about cars.....where to put the petrol, how to make them go and how to make them stop. This allowing an engine to run on after a journey seems to me nothing more than a waste of fuel and a booster for atmospheric pollution.

Have I posted this correctly in the mumbo-jumbo thread or is there something in it? I would be grateful if one of you car-savvy gents could comment.

Quite possibly the reason they leave the engine running is because they have had their lights on recently. Thais believe lights on wastes the battery -even when the car is travelling, so a further 10 minutes of engine running once stopped will recharge the battery. Crazy1
Correct thread John

No this is definitely the right place for this discussion.
I might not be a motor mechanic but I have a science background in mechanics.

You only need to run a vehicle to cool down if there is a turbo charger as they run at next to melting temperatures and need to cool down slowly.
Having said that most engines need to cool slowly as it is part of metallurgical stresses involved unless you are quenching a gun barrel to align the metal ions for hardening. Once this is done cooling a metal block fast is a bad idea.
Opening the car bonnet after a two hour drive is so wrong on so many levels. First it is not good for the engine. A car cooling system correctly operating will not exceed 10% of the normal operating temperature ever. Unless of course you open the car bonnet and run your damned engine. This alleviates all the flow through ventilation as it breaks the lamina flow of air. Your engine will overheat with a bonnet open and running. Sombody must of seen someone doing this once and thought it was a logical idea. Oh and just how fast does it take a modern vehicle to get back to normal operating temperature. Next to no time at all.
One last point a cool engine will actualy have more wear and tear on engine components then one at normal temperature. That's why the designers warm them quickly.

I have theatened this rant for some time. Hair_Out1

Does anybody remember that Thais used to raise their wiper blades to save the rubbers when parked. You just don't see this idea any more.

Sorry for the rant. Makes me want to shake people when I see them do this.

No this is definitely the right place for this discussion.
I might not be a motor mechanic but I have a science background in mechanics.

You only need to run a vehicle to cool down if there is a turbo charger as they run at next to melting temperatures and need to cool down slowly.
Having said that most engines need to cool slowly as it is part of metallurgical stresses involved unless you are quenching a gun barrel to align the metal ions for hardening. Once this is done cooling a metal block fast is a bad idea.
Opening the car bonnet after a two hour drive is so wrong on so many levels. First it is not good for the engine. A car cooling system correctly operating will not exceed 10% of the normal operating temperature ever. Unless of course you open the car bonnet and run your damned engine. This alleviates all the flow through ventilation as it breaks the lamina flow of air. Your engine will overheat with a bonnet open and running. Sombody must of seen someone doing this once and thought it was a logical idea. Oh and just how fast does it take a modern vehicle to get back to normal operating temperature. Next to no time at all.
One last point a cool engine will actualy have more wear and tear on engine components then one at normal temperature. That's why the designers warm them quickly.

I have theatened this rant for some time. Hair_Out1

Does anybody remember that Thais used to raise their wiper blades to save the rubbers when parked. You just don't see this idea any more.

Sorry for the rant. Makes me want to shake people when I see them do this.

You Sir, are a very smart man! But you didn't need a nugget like me to tell you that.

I take all my wheels off after a long drive. Just to give my cars weary tyres a rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your confirmation of the mumbojumboness of this Thai habit. I had a feeling this was the right thread but, not being a Top Gear kind of chap, thought I had better check.thankyou5

I take all my wheels off after a long drive. Just to give my cars weary tyres a rest.

I hope when you give them a rest you give them only best Nitrogen to fill them.

This is a up and coming BS to a tyre store near you. The theory is that the molecular size of Nitrogen is larger then oxygen and your tyre's will deflate less over time, as the Nitrogen permeates less then the oxygen. Having said that there is 21% oxygen in air and the rest is mostly Nitrogen anyway. So unless you are driving an F1 car forget it. It is available in Thailand now at 250 Baht a tyre.

I hope when you give them a rest you give them only best Nitrogen to fill them.

This is a up and coming BS to a tyre store near you. The theory is that the molecular size of Nitrogen is larger then oxygen and your tyre's will deflate less over time, as the Nitrogen permeates less then the oxygen. Having said that there is 21% oxygen in air and the rest is mostly Nitrogen anyway. So unless you are driving an F1 car forget it. It is available in Thailand now at 250 Baht a tyre.
Well yes. My thoughts exactly ahem..

Back