Never accept NO or CANNOT DO

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
I have long advocated that when you believe you are correct or within your rights, never to accept NO or it can't be done, especially when dealing with civil servants, both here in Thailand and in the UK.

During the past year or so I have challenged many officials in the UK Pensions Dept, when they have initially said that a claim is not eligible (mainly because the claimant is in Thailand), or have refused to back-date a claim just because the book says it cannot be done. I am happy to say that in every case I have won, either for myself, or friends whom I have been assisting.

Today I took on the Thai Passport office in Korat. They refused to issue my daughter a passport, simply because the Amphur had mis-spelled her surname on her birth certificate. Now in some cases that could be quite a large mistake, but in this case it was minor in that her surname was shown as starting with where as in fact it should have been Nothing more that a slightly higher stroke on the end. Hardly noticeable.

The passport official advised we needed to have everything corrected by the Amphur, and then re-apply.

My wife was not happy when I announced that I was going to challenge the decision and kept well in the background. First of all I gained the sympathy of a supervisor. I then referred to my son's passport that was issued 4 months ago, and had exactly the same error, which caused no problem with the passport office. His file was found, and everyone pored over it for several minutes. Eventually the matter was referred to a senior official, and after quite a while she agreed to issue the passport with 3 conditions.

1) The surname would be spelt incorrectly -as per birth certificate.
2) My daughter would sign incorrectly.
3) My wife and I had to sign a disclaimer absolving the Passport office from any responsibility if everything went tits up!

Yet another success for Prakhonchai Nick

NEVER ACCEPT NO OR CANNOT DO!

A good example of the old "Dunkirk Spirit", Sherlock. :Bravo1:

Agreed , I was told a few years ago I couldn't have a 5 year car driving license.Now everybody knows you can. I asked to see the head official who also told me I couldn't have a 5 year car license.Then I pointed out that the previous year he had given me a 5 year motorbike license."OK" he said I will give you one,then he pointed out that a mistake had be made on the wifes house book even though nothing was ever said before and made us go 30k to the Amphur office and back to get a minor item changed .Sometime I'm sure officials just like to make you jump through hoops to make them feel superior :G

I think you are right, Alan. The other thing that always winds me up is when because you cannot communicate in Thai, they think you know nothing.

I think you are right, Alan. The other thing that always winds me up is when because you cannot communicate in Thai, they think you know nothing.

Not helped by a Thai (who can speak Thai) not wanting confrontation. That acceptance of all things official would have stopped Nick getting sorted out today and it cost a friend 28 hours loss of freedom in Nang Rong prison because his missus just accepted what an 'official' said.

Not helped by a Thai (who can speak Thai) not wanting confrontation. That acceptance of all things official would have stopped Nick getting sorted out today and it cost a friend 28 hours loss of freedom in Nang Rong prison because his missus just accepted what an 'official' said.

One thing I think Ploy has learned in the 6 year we have been married is that it is OK to confront Officials.About 5 years ago we had the land paper changed from Ploy's Mum's name to Ploys.After 4 months they telephoned Ploy to say the land papers were all ready to be picked up.The next day we went to Tha Tum about 70k round trip to pick them up. After 30 minutes they still couldn't find them and told us to come back the next day.I asked Ploy to talk to the head Official,she said "can not" I told her to tell him he must pay for my petrol and my time as his office had called us to tell us the land papers were ready for collection.He then got everybody to stop what they were doing to find our land papers.After 10 minutes they were found.Now when we first met she wouldn't even ask for direction ,now she realizes it is OK to ask question and question authority if she feels she is being treated unfairly.Now when we have a problem I try and tell her what to do and she says " OK, OK I not stupid anymore ":D:9of10Score:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I think Ploy has learned in the 6 year we have been married is that it is OK to confront Officials.About 5 years ago we had the land paper changed from Ploy's Mum's name to Ploys.After 4 months they telephoned Ploy to say the land papers were all ready to be picked up.The next day we went to Tha Tum about 70k round trip to pick them up. After 30 minutes they still couldn't find them and told us to come back the next day.I asked Ploy to talk to the head Official,she said "can not" I told her to tell him he must pay for my petrol and my time as his office had called us to tell us the land papers were ready for collection.He then got everybody to stop what they were doing to find our land papers.After 10 minutes they were found.Now when we first met she wouldn't even ask for direction ,now she realizes it is OK to ask question and question authority if she feels she is being treated unfairly.Now when we have a problem I try and tell her what to do and she says " OK, OK I not stupid anymore ":D:9of10Score:

Alan, I understand all that but I wonder if they ever REALLY feel comfortable about it. Nick has been with his wife for 11 years + and she was not going to challenge authority today. Fortunately, Nick is a stubborn *******.

I also accept that we have to make sure that do not stepover the line into "Crazy Falang" territory.

Putting them on the back-foot, as you did, is ideal. They are not used to that.

Putting them on the back-foot, as you did, is ideal. They are not used to that.

There is no secret,stay calm ,do not loose your temper and smile a lot but be firm and positive at the same time .I'm sure Nick did all of these!!!!!!

There is no secret,stay calm ,do not loose your temper and smile a lot but be firm and positive at the same time .I'm sure Nick did all of these!!!!!!

Absolutely correct. I did all of that with lots of smiles (actually the girls were rather nice!)

If you show anger or frustration, you might as well pack up and go home. You won't win.

Back