New Long Term Visa - Not Easy To Obtain.

Yes, you do not need the money in the bank in Thailand if you have proof of that monthly income requirement. Problem is the Immi ninnies always try to insist on your having that money 'here' in Thailand. Why? Because it is more paperwork they have to do to do it the monthly income way/marriage visa way, and we all know they want to make things as simple as they can so as to not need to do more paperwork/work. The easier for them the better in their minds. Screw you and that it is made harder for you. Just one more reason I do the Savanakhet way while I am healthy enough to do it. Plus I get a 'multiple' entry visa, a one year O 'marriage' visa (which if I needed to show 400K annual income is half the damn retirement visa qualifications) and not need to have my money in their banks making crap for interest and being tied up for 5 months or more of the year. I like things simple and easy, do not mind a couple days over in Laos each year and the 90 day in and out 5 times for a 15 month visa (a couple hours time to do so every 3 months). If I was ailing and could not do it my way I'd change to a marriage visa through Immi here using the monthly income way of 400K annually (I can do it either way, but why do it at 800K when 400K will do it?). For chrissakes it is the one 'plus' you get for being married to a Thai. LOL Half the cost of a freakin' retirement visa. Might as well use it at half the money required. Being 'legally' married to a Thai has that one bonus (besides having a good woman at your side). :) KISS is my motto for as long as I can do so.

"P.S. And I am not required to have any health insurance for my annual extension based on retirement."

As neither have I ever needed the same. And 'up to you' as they say. Everyone has their own wants and needs for these things.
Problem is the Immi ninnies always try to insist on your having that money 'here' in Thailand. Why? Because it is more paperwork they have to do to do it the monthly income way/marriage visa way, and we all know they want to make things as simple as they can so as to not need to do more paperwork/work

Prior to the rule change about 4 years ago, it was only necessary to show that one had a foreign income in excess of 800,000 baht. Then they changed the rules and one had to show foreign income in excess of 65,000 baht per month, for every month of the year. As my three pensions are paid monthly, they are also transferred monthly. The annual pension statements provided by the pension providers is adequate proof that my income comes from overseas. These payments are clearly shown in the 12-month bank statement provided by Bangkok Bank (200 baht). The only other paperwork required is the Letter from the Bank Manager (100 baht) obtained on the day of the application to support the balance in the Bank Book. It is a relatively simple process and one that Immigration is more than happy to accommodate.

From what I was told by other teachers here they give you a very short time to change over from your 'work' visa to another type.
I have been lucky, I believe. My contract expires on 30th Sept, so got 2 months notice to sort things out.

1)Got a 'plan' re visa now.
2)May consider moving to a few different areas.
3)Need to still sort out my Social Security. Cover that can still continue but at a lower cover.
4)Also need to establish the refund available for past SS payments.
5) Might teach online or do part-time job?

Feel OK about my future!

From what I was told by other teachers here they give you a very short time to change over from your 'work' visa to another type.
I'm going to try to change over to the ฿65,000/month income rather than the ฿800,000 deposit. I'm beginning to regularize the transfers to be 65-70,000 each month instead of larger ones periodically. I've transferred more than 12x ฿65,000 over this past year, but as bureaucrats they may not find that equivalent ;) and not appreciate a math lesson. I may have to just qualify the old way when I renew in January, and wait a year to build a track record that they'll accept. I hope I can negotiate locally re: health insurance based on having Medicare that I can go get for free if needed, and because I'm only in Thailand 5 months a year. Perhaps make a donation to the office pizza fund? ;) However, if the BOI is any indicator, they tend to adhere to the letter of the law. One of the hilarious (in my opinion) current options is the Elite Visa, where you can supposedly pay ฿1,000,000 now and get a 20 year visa. That's ฿50,000/year! Not to mention what the Net Present Value of that amounts to for the later years, probably double. And you would have to hope the rules didn't change and take it away later. Only an optimist would fork over that much up front, IMHO.

Dude, I know Guam is a US territory. I mentioned it in a post in the thread. I know they have a VA clinic/hospital too. What I did not know was being able to use your Medicare for health care there.
They pay US taxes and vote for POTUS. ;;big smile;;

AND Persons born in Guam on or after December 24, 1952, acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. Guam is listed as part of the geographical definition of the "United States" in section 101 (a)(38) Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

I'm going to try to change over to the ฿65,000/month income rather than the ฿800,000 deposit. I'm beginning to regularize the transfers to be 65-70,000 each month instead of larger ones periodically. I've transferred more than 12x ฿65,000 over this past year, but as bureaucrats they may not find that equivalent ;) and not appreciate a math lesson. I may have to just qualify the old way when I renew in January, and wait a year to build a track record that they'll accept. I hope I can negotiate locally re: health insurance based on having Medicare that I can go get for free if needed, and because I'm only in Thailand 5 months a year. Perhaps make a donation to the office pizza fund? ;) However, if the BOI is any indicator, they tend to adhere to the letter of the law. One of the hilarious (in my opinion) current options is the Elite Visa, where you can supposedly pay ฿1,000,000 now and get a 20 year visa. That's ฿50,000/year! Not to mention what the Net Present Value of that amounts to for the later years, probably double. And you would have to hope the rules didn't change and take it away later. Only an optimist would fork over that much up front, IMHO.
That is, of course, assuming that the scheme is still in existence for 20 years????

If this is your path forward, keep a file of all your transactions---from which bank---transferee method, (OFX, WISE, WELLS FARGO ), and a reciept from your Thai bank.
I will be happy to send you a scan if need be.

I now need to show 12 months income to start a 'new' retirement visa, on that basis. Bit difficult as I was only placed in this position 2 weeks ago.
I went to Surin Immi in July 23 with 12 months statements showing income in excess of 65k. Retirement renewal. Flat refused to do it on income. Not interested, come back when you have 800k in the bank. Shit, dismissive service from lazy, badly trained officers with lousy attitudes. Avoid!

I went to Surin Immi in July 23 with 12 months statements showing income in excess of 65k. Retirement renewal. Flat refused to do it on income. Not interested, come back when you have 800k in the bank. Shit, dismissive service from lazy, badly trained officers with lousy attitudes. Avoid!
Jesus mate, thats rough, I did my married extension in February using monthly income statements showing from which bank in Australia
the funds came from, statements from OFX showing the transferee amount in Thai baht, and a screen shot from SCB showing the deposit.
The Medusa at Jomtien immi was happy with my doccumentation except I used black pen instead of blue---pedantic c*nt.

I just read that it is supposedly allowed to verify a ฿65,000/month income instead of having to have the 800,000 deposit. I could arrange that, as I transfer more than that over each year anyway, and could just set it up to be smaller amounts monthly. Does anyone on the forum get their annual retirement visa renewed under that qualification?

Yes, I do. I have been using that method, or earlier iterations, for the past 20 odd years. Never had any problems. You may/will be asked to prove that your funds come from outside Thailand. It is a requirement that you transfer in excess of 65,000 baht for each and every month of the year. If you miss one month it will be strike 3 and you're out.

P.S. And I am not required to have any health insurance for my annual extension based on retirement.
It is a requirement for new applications for ‘O’ class Retirement Visas class at Thai Embassies.

It is a requirement for new applications for ‘O’ class Retirement Visas class at Thai Embassies.
Not to my knowledge, but it is Amazing Thailand.
My O visa temporary extensions for one year in SURIN city or Kap Choeng immigration, health insurance has never been brought up.
My understanding if you have an OA visa which is obtained from your home country health insurance is required buy a THAI insurance company.
Recommend applying early would give you time if there's a problem.
You can apply six weeks before your O or OA visa expires, I would look that up in the immigration rules and make a copy of it in case it's necessary.
I have applied early generally and unless I was out of the country came back closer to the visit termination date.
Good luck !

Last edited:
Not to my knowledge, but it is Amazing Thailand.
My O visa temporary extensions for one year in SURIN city or Kap Choeng immigration, health insurance has never been brought up.
My understanding if you have an OA visa which is obtained from your home country health insurance is required buy a THAI insurance company.
Recommend applying early would give you time if there's a problem.
You can apply six weeks before your O or OA visa expires, I would look that up in the immigration rules and make a copy of it in case it's necessary.
I have applied early generally and unless I was out of the country came back closer to the visit termination date.
Good luck !
I’m referring to new applicants obtaining a 90 day visa ‘O’ for Retirement purposes at Thai Embassies abroad. If you already have one you are ok. It is not a retrospective rule. It is now on Thai Embassy websites and Thai Immigration website Bangkok. Thai Embassy in Canberra told me about it recently. Anyone applying will need the basic 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 baht outpatient for 90 day visas for Retirement purposes. Not required for Marriage Visas. LMG looks to be the cheapest.

Last edited:
I’m referring to new applicants obtaining a 90 day visa ‘O’ for Retirement purposes at Thai Embassies abroad. If you already have one you are ok. It is not a retrospective rule. It is now on Thai Embassy websites and Thai Immigration website Bangkok. Thai Embassy in Canberra told me about it recently. Anyone applying will need the basic 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 baht outpatient for 90 day visas for Retirement purposes. Not required for Marriage Visas. LMG looks to be the cheapest.

I thought (and still think) that insurance is only required for O-A visas.

I can’t find any mention of it now on Thai Immigration website but Royal Thai Embassy Canberra website states that it is required, I don’t know for sure lads but that’s what they told me by telephone.

Back