New Project (15/1/22)

By definition THEY could not have control.
Being that a farang cannot own the land I have seen many buying land for the wife/family/future generations disappointed when they find out the Chanotes for the properties they paid up front cash for are now residing in the bank for loans taken out by their Thai wife to help the 'family' get out of debt (which they usually soon enough are back in debt). On top of that many will not tell the farang husband the land is close to being repossessed by the bank... as no one had the money (or even cared really) to pay the loans taken out their monthly re-payments. Not to be the eternal pessimist, just a pragmatic sort, if you keep hearing these stories over and over again it makes one pause to think things over. You can trust your wife all you want, but that trust can easily be overcome by family pressures to be saved 'financially' by the woman married to a supposedly 'rich' farang. And, they, the family and extended family needing bailing out will make all sorts of promises to pay back the loan they likely will not, or cannot, keep, nor will they really care if it hurts the wifey of the 'rich' farang and her relationship. Som num nah really.

As the saying goes, do not spend in Thailand what you cannot afford to lose. There is a reason that saying is so prevalent in the expat community. :) If one can afford to walk away from the money spent without issues, hey, 'Up to you' as that other saying goes.

Last edited:
Being that a farang cannot own the land I have seen many buying land for the wife/family/future generations disappointed when they find out the Chanotes for the properties they paid up front cash for are now residing in the bank for loans taken out by their Thai wife to help the 'family' get out of debt (which they usually soon enough are back in debt). On top of that many will not tell the farang husband the land is close to being repossessed by the bank... as no one had the money (or even cared really) to pay the loans taken out their monthly re-payments. Not to be the eternal pessimist, just a pragmatic sort, if you keep hearing these stories over and over again it makes one pause to think things over. You can trust your wife all you want, but that trust can easily be overcome by family pressures to be saved 'financially' by the woman married to a supposedly 'rich' farang. And, they, the family and extended family needing bailing out will make all sorts of promises to pay back the loan they likely will not, or cannot, keep, nor will they really care if it hurts the wifey of the 'rich' farang and her relationship. Som num nah really.

As the saying goes, do not spend in Thailand what you cannot afford to lose. There is a reason that saying is so prevalent in the expat community. :) If one can afford to walk away from the money spent without issues, hey, 'Up to you' as that other saying goes.
Wise words mate as, unfortunately, as we all know, there are less than scrupulas individuals lurking.
I consider myself lucky, as many forum members do having beautiful Thai partners that are trustworthy as the day is long.
In our recently done wills, on @CO-COs advice, we/ I covered all the hypothetical scenarios including Pat passing prior to me to CMA.
Tomorrow is the day that we recieve our gold chanote on our new house, it took a little doing, shuffling finances but, its done--saved us B257,000 interest.
We have our finances separated between Australia and Thailand although Pat is my sole executor, I have taken pains to ensure
the ongoing security for Pat and the kids as, realistically, I wont give a toss, I'll be dead.

@Cent ….Like you, I have seen it a dozen times.

Most of those I could have predicted …….but, there is always the occasional surprise.

Wise words mate as, unfortunately, as we all know, there are less than scrupulas individuals lurking.
I consider myself lucky, as many forum members do having beautiful Thai partners that are trustworthy as the day is long.
In our recently done wills, on @CO-COs advice, we/ I covered all the hypothetical scenarios including Pat passing prior to me to CMA.
Tomorrow is the day that we recieve our gold chanote on our new house, it took a little doing, shuffling finances but, its done--saved us B257,000 interest.
We have our finances separated between Australia and Thailand although Pat is my sole executor, I have taken pains to ensure
the ongoing security for Pat and the kids as, realistically, I wont give a toss, I'll be dead.
Many of us do (knock wood), problem being almost all the Thai women I have known, wives and GFs and such of other western men that I've spoken to, all reported once they had their farang catch, they experienced loads and loads of pressure from family members for 'loans': buy a motocyke for the son/nephew, buy brother/Papa a new truck, a tractor, all sorts of things everyone else wanted/needed. Especially if they are the youngest gal in the family. Seems they are expected to 'pay up' for being raised and allowed to live and not starve to death (somewhat of a joke). I'd warn the gents out there to be very careful of marrying into a large Thai family, especially if there are a lot of brothers/uncles in the family, and especially if they have nothing much and are young enough to hold a steady job, have no real job, and, are still living at home in the village and not off somewhere working most days. The men, the ones not truly a man, seem to think the women owe them something for doing not much of anything. A left over of the patriarchal society of the past. JMHO from what I have seen over the past three decades.

Many of us do (knock wood), problem being almost all the Thai women I have known, wives and GFs and such of other western men that I've spoken to, all reported once they had their farang catch, they experienced loads and loads of pressure from family members for 'loans': buy a motocyke for the son/nephew, buy brother/Papa a new truck, a tractor, all sorts of things everyone else wanted/needed. Especially if they are the youngest gal in the family. Seems they are expected to 'pay up' for being raised and allowed to live and not starve to death (somewhat of a joke). I'd warn the gents out there to be very careful of marrying into a large Thai family, especially if there are a lot of brothers/uncles in the family, and especially if they have nothing much and are young enough to hold a steady job, have no real job, and, are still living at home in the village and not off somewhere working most days. The men, the ones not truly a man, seem to think the women owe them something for doing not much of anything. A left over of the patriarchal society of the past. JMHO from what I have seen over the past three decades.

I recall something of the sort on some other threads lately... :-(

My first Thai wife back in the 80's tried to raise money using the chanotes and my car registration book. . Nipped that in the bud. Had a good trusted friend keep all such documents locked up in his safe!. Current (2nd Thai wife) totally trustworthy.

My first Thai wife back in the 80's tried to raise money using the chanotes and my car registration book. . Nipped that in the bud. Had a good trusted friend keep all such documents locked up in his safe!. Current (2nd Thai wife) totally trustworthy.

When I was married to my first Thai wife and it all went tits up, I lodged all the important documents in a safe deposit box in the bank. However, I was told later that it was easy for a Thai owner of the land to obtain certified copies if they "lost" the originals. Luckily either my wife didn't know that or she was sufficiently loyal not to follow that route.

When I was married to my first Thai wife and it all went tits up, I lodged all the important documents in a safe deposit box in the bank. However, I was told later that it was easy for a Thai owner of the land to obtain certified copies if they "lost" the originals. Luckily either my wife didn't know that or she was sufficiently loyal not to follow that route.
That is true. However the chanotes had my name written on them as the mortgagor. She couldn't have raised a loan even if she knew.

I've heard of some getting copies of that sort of paperwork, claiming a house fire or some sort of disaster (flooding) that burnt up the chanote and auto papers. Usually done with a payoff to the bank manager or other bank employee. Have also heard that the gangsters in the Cambodian gambling houses don't ever give a damn about the auto/truck's papers. A couple here likely know of the rental scam where a Thai woman 'rented' a vehicle from Martin I think it was (have heard of a couple more here in Surin) and just brought the car/truck over the border and used it to pay off gambling debts. (If I remember right she was a cop or daughter of some prominent politician.) I remember one or two stories on this on the rental where the true owner had to pay money to the gangsters to get the vehicle back. Also know of expats who had money in the bank for their children/grandchildren/themselves name only bank account, or cloned ATM cards etc where the wife/woman was able to drain Thai bank accounts not in their name at all.

Then there are the thieving bank employees that do the same and do a runner to villages unknown, not just farang accounts, but Thai accounts as well. They can easily get all your banking info. It is one reason not to be showing/telling how much money you actually have in your account and a reason not to be letting Immi agents and others have any of your banking info/financials. FFS it's in the news often enough to make one wary when we read of cops and Immi douchebags (or fake ones as well) grabbing supposedly well off people right from the friggin' airport and holding them hostage in a hotel room until they get money before releasing them.

You do best to realize Thailand is still a bit of the wild west (east), corruption abounds, temptation can be acted on more easily here with many various scams, and your life isn't worth shit to some. Read the papers/news. Toss away the rose colored glasses and be aware it ain't all bread and roses here. Reality, at times, is not what you believe it to be here, at times.

Last edited:
Exactly. I've seen it happen to others.

Exactly. I've seen it happen to others.
This is one reason I think it is foolish to incorporate yourself here. 49% means you have nothing, really.

It is also why I think it is not a good idea to be bringing large amounts of your cash, savings, etc and placing it in a Thai bank.

If you can't own the land in your own name legally why bother buying and investing in land here except as a gift or something to leave your wife and kids 'no strings attached'. Use the money to buy land in your home country instead. Rental property producing you some income, or just land investment for future sale by yourself or kids, wife, etc. Much safer to do, and it is in YOUR name and no one else's, backed by a will and other legal papers that will stand up in court if need be. I don't trust lawyers in general. I trust Thai lawyers FAR less than that. :)

With divorce being around 50% back in the west (and all the financials that can bring with it) what do you think the chances of splitting (and possibly losing it all with little legal protections here to protect your assets) with your Thai wife are? Is there a percentage of divorce among older farang men and their younger, usually, Thai wife that is higher or lower than divorce back in the west? It pays to be careful, no matter how much your lady loves you and how much you trust her. Many things that happen here are not due to the wife/GF but other side participants. People who have positions where they have ways of seeing your info and finances. But many times as well it IS the wife or GF involved in the fleecing scam. :) Many Thai women, as said, have intense familial pressures, also quite a few have gambling issues, drinking problems, supposedly ex husbands still having some sort of control over the woman, and things you just have no real clue about. My suggestion to most is to stop, go slow, give it time (the scammers are usually impatient and will reveal their hand), think it over before proceeding. Be smart and try not to end up as jungle BBQ. ;;shocked;;

Last edited:
This is one reason I think it is foolish to incorporate yourself here. 49% means you have nothing, really.

It is also why I think it is not a good idea to be bringing large amounts of your cash, savings, etc and placing it in a Thai bank.

If you can't own the land in your own name legally why bother buying and investing in land here except as a gift or something to leave your wife and kids 'no strings attached'. Use the money to buy land in your home country instead. Rental property producing you some income, or just land investment for future sale by yourself or kids, wife, etc. Much safer to do, and it is in YOUR name and no one else's, backed by a will and other legal papers that will stand up in court if need be. I don't trust lawyers in general. I trust Thai lawyers FAR less than that. :)

With divorce being around 50% back in the west (and all the financials that can bring with it) what do you think the chances of splitting (and possibly losing it all with little legal protections here to protect your assets) with your Thai wife are? Is there a percentage of divorce among older farang men and their younger, usually, Thai wife that is higher or lower than divorce back in the west? It pays to be careful, no matter how much your lady loves you and how much you trust her. Many things that happen here are not due to the wife/GF but other side participants. People who have positions where they have ways of seeing your info and finances. But many times as well it IS the wife or GF involved in the fleecing scam. :) Many Thai women, as said, have intense familial pressures, also quite a few have gambling issues, drinking problems, supposedly ex husbands still having some sort of control over the woman, and things you just have no real clue about. My suggestion to most is to stop, go slow, give it time (the scammers are usually impatient and will reveal their hand), think it over before proceeding. Be smart and try not to end up as jungle BBQ. ;;shocked;;

Truly 'Buyer Beware' in The Kingdom.

"If you cannot afford to lose it - don't buy it in someone else's name."

Personally I own nothing here.*
Nor do I owe anything.

*HEY- I'm not even married! :)

Back