New Schwarma truck in Surin

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Saw last night (and was told about it the day before) when driving by the Jah Bar/Speed 3 area soi that there is now a Schwarma truck selling these tasty buggers for a late night snack - on the main soi that runs by the Thong Tarin Hotel. It was parked across the street from the Jah Bar a bit further up near the entrance to Soi Kola. Looks to be chicken schwarmas (or kababs as a Brit called them when telling me about this). Looks like a van with a large side opening to conduct street side business. I'll be trying these out, as I do love a schwarma or two on occasion. (I've always said over the years this would be a good idea in the nightlife area. Good to see someone start this up!) I heard they were going for 45 baht apiece I think I was told.

I may go down there tonight and get a couple to try them out. ThumbUp6

Mike

p.s. I hope this isn't just some temporary thing for the Elephant Festival. I'll try to find out tonight.

Wow, thanks for that update. I love those little buggers for a quick and tasty snack. I first enjoyed those, chicken and pork when I would plant me arse on a seat at Big Dog's just outside Nana Plaza and watch the "ladies" parade by on their way to the bars. This young Thai man opened his stand about two years ago and only charged 60 baht, delicious, easy to order and sure helped to prevent an early onset of having drunk too many Leo's. Let's hope that this new gem WILL be there after the Elephant Festival.

With so many Aliens in Sweden this is like a homecooked meal for me , like them Doner Kebabs alot , probably healthy too ThumbUp6

187px-Doner_kebap_Istanbul_20071026_crop.JPG

All,

I went by Monday night and found the Schwarma/Doner/Kebab truck. Bought 2 to go. This truck is brand new, clean and shiny (it is white in color), and I have no idea what brand truck it is. Very nicely appointed and laid out for this sort of thing though. The Schwarmas were excellent and tasty, a little bit spicy too, which I like. 40 baht each. He was parked right by the corner of the Soi Kola entrance, in front of that round coffee shop there on the corner. Looks like he is doing a brisk trade (for a Monday). Will make this a weekly stop. I do like these for a quick bite to eat. Need to find out when he starts selling so as to get there early. I think he will sell out a lot. Was told one night he sold out completely.

Mike

Tried the chicken kebabs the other night for the first time. Was very nice, but I think you need 2 of them to fill the gap. Never had a kebab before with added crutons but it was worth the try out.

Tried the chicken kebabs the other night for the first time. Was very nice, but I think you need 2 of them to fill the gap. Never had a kebab before with added crutons but it was worth the try out.

Is it popular with the Thais?

I used to eat the Kebabs from the lady on Pattayas Soi 8 years ago and the ones that are outside the Marine Hotel. They used to make a killing back then and probably still do. The old lady down Soi 8 used to clear 2 whole skewers in about 3 hours, job done, Several thousand baht in her pocket each day and no need to bust her arse all day and night either.

Last edited by a moderator:
never having been a night owl, out and about in Surin.

is there much nightlife out and about during the week ?
or does the town come alive at the weekend ?

p4rty

2 is about right. 40 baht each think it is.

Mike

never having been a night owl, out and about in Surin.

is there much nightlife out and about during the week ?
or does the town come alive at the weekend ?

p4rty

Brother Rob, after 10 p.m. Surin rocks damned near every night. Really. A serious party town it is.

Mike

Last edited:
Brother Rob, after 10 p.m. Surin rocks damned near every night. Really. A serious party town it is.

Mike

It was quoted on a travellers guide some years back as 'having a suprisingly lively nightlife for a smallish town' It does get very busy Fridays and Saturdays but as Mike says, if your tucked up in bed by 10 or 11pm, you will never know because the fun starts after midnight IMHO.

That "fun" that is being referred to is IMO strictly a Thai thing. Farangs stick out like sore thumbs, we are tolerated because we spend money and who's going to turn us away? If you're Thai or with a bunch of Thai mates perhaps it's a different experience. Also when you add in how loud these places are I just don't see what the benefits are for a Farang. Unless of course you're with that group of Swedes and Norwegians who seem to pop up all over Surin and drown out anything around them.

That "fun" that is being referred to is IMO strictly a Thai thing. Farangs stick out like sore thumbs, we are tolerated because we spend money and who's going to turn us away? If you're Thai or with a bunch of Thai mates perhaps it's a different experience. Also when you add in how loud these places are I just don't see what the benefits are for a Farang. Unless of course you're with that group of Swedes and Norwegians who seem to pop up all over Surin and drown out anything around them.

I WAS usually with Thai friends, your right but one mans meat and all that! :wink:

Back