Non Immigrant O A Visa - Why I Was Not Aware

W

Wombat

Just had my English neighbour arrive. He told me he could stay in Thailand for 12 months without having to leave the country every 90 days based on his Non Immigrant O A visa that he paid 125 GBP for in England. The visa is based on retirement. He seems to think he can stay for up to 2 years on this visa provided he leaves the country a few days before his 12 months is up. He is aware that he has to report his address every 90 days.

I had a look at his entry stamp and, yes, he is permitted to stay up to February 2016. I paid the equivalent for the same type of visa in Australia but did not get the "A" part.

Is this for real, have I missed something? Seems this type of visa is the best for long term stays.

Remember rules for a visa and an extension to a visa are different. Tell you friend to check this before the first 90 days are due..
Unless things have changed, when I was on my first year (visa obtained in Hull) I had to do 90 day border runs at CC. After that, I obtained an extension due to retirement, then just had to do TM47 address reports.

Last edited:
Just had my English neighbour arrive. He told me he could stay in Thailand for 12 months without having to leave the country every 90 days based on his Non Immigrant O A visa that he paid 125 GBP for in England. The visa is based on retirement. He seems to think he can stay for up to 2 years on this visa provided he leaves the country a few days before his 12 months is up. He is aware that he has to report his address every 90 days.

I had a look at his entry stamp and, yes, he is permitted to stay up to February 2016. I paid the equivalent for the same type of visa in Australia but did not get the "A" part.

Is this for real, have I missed something? Seems this type of visa is the best for long term stays.

February 2015 - February 2016 = 1 year.

Wombat , what is it you think you are missing ?

February 2015 - February 2016 = 1 year.

Wombat , what is it you think you are missing ?
If you do a (90 day) border run at the end of your 12months, its extended to 15 months before you need to renew (MAYBE?????)

The "A" part on my Non Imm visa. Would have saved me 4 trips to Cambodia, about 2000 baht per trip and a lot of sleep.

I assume that sooner or later my neighbour is going to have to face Kap Choeng Immigration and provide the proof of his ability to retire permanently here but if he plays his cards right, it may not be for 2 years.

VALIDITY OF VISA:
The validity of visa is 3 months both single and entry and double entry as shown on the ENTER BEFORE date on a visa sticker.
That means you must enter Thailand BEFORE that date.
VALIDITY OF STAY: Period of stay per entry to be granted is determined by the immigration authorities at any immigration checkpoints upon arrival.

This was lifted verbatim from the A form issued in Australia. This was for any class of visa.

I apply for a spouse visa and they give me three months and tell me to extend to twelve months with proof of wife and income or with no income proof six weeks. This was told to me by immi at swampy. Policy in Canberra Australia is now not to issue any multiple entry Non O.

My friend gets 12 months not 90 days. That's what I'm dirty on.

Maybe it's the policy for us Australians. F%^ed if I know Womby. I am coming back to Thailand next week with my fresh Non O Spouse visa in hand.

I bet I get three months once again. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the policy for us Australians. F%^ed if I know Womby. I am coming back to Thailand next week with my fresh Non O Spouse visa in hand.

You will Rice as you have not got an A next to your O on your spouse visa.

I just checked the Royal Thai Consulate website in Melbourne and they are only offering O visas, not OA.

Perhaps the A stands for annual.

The O-A visa is available in all countries and I do know of Aussies that have them. They can only be obtained from your home countries and in the UK they are only issued by the Thai embassy in London. The O-A is actually a 2 year visa and is often called a long stay and is the only so called retirement visa. Theses visa cost about 5000 baht. In the cost is a multi reentry permit for the first 12 months. Enter and leave Thailand as much as you want that first 12 months. If you stay inside Thailand without going out then you must report to immigration every 90 days. There is an "ENTER BY" date stamped on the visa, on the last day do a border hop in and out and you will get another 365 days permission to stay stamp. If you want to exit Thailand at any point of this second part you must go to immigration and buy a single or multi reentry permit. 1000 baht for a singl or 3800 baht for a multi. There is one member on this forum that is on the second part of his O-Ap4rty and so is his Thai wife. Crazy1 Voodoo

Cry3.
The O-A visa is available in all countries and I do know of Aussies that have them. They can only be obtained from your home countries and in the UK they are only issued by the Thai embassy in London. The O-A is actually a 2 year visa and is often called a long stay and is the only so called retirement visa. Theses visa cost about 5000 baht. In the cost is a multi reentry permit for the first 12 months. Enter and leave Thailand as much as you want that first 12 months. If you stay inside Thailand without going out then you must report to immigration every 90 days. There is an "ENTER BY" date stamped on the visa, on the last day do a border hop in and out and you will get another 365 days permission to stay stamp. If you want to exit Thailand at any point of this second part you must go to immigration and buy a single or multi reentry permit. 1000 baht for a singl or 3800 baht for a multi. There is one member on this forum that is on the second part of his O-Ap4rty and so is his Thai wife. Crazy1 Voodoo

Wished I knew that a while ago.

Thanks Karakara, my friend did not have to do most of what is listed as required, that is, he did not have to show the money, probably no police check etc. He just applied, paid his money and got the visa.

Lucky Bugger.

General Info. The guidelines that Mr. K and myself have laid out are the requirements just about all Thai embassies go by. Some Thai Embassies and Thai Consulates issue what THEY call an O-A but are actually a a O-multi only good for 12 months. So if you have any question you need to shave your arse to immigration and check on what you have. Oh and Voodoo is a Yank and the Thai Embassy in DC lied like dormant syphilis to him AND his wife. But alls well that ends well.

Last edited:
After reading the link page.

I now understand what the nice lady in Canberra meant by there is no long stay visa available based on marriage. It has to be retirement conditions only.
Bugger jumping through all those hoops remotely in Australia.

So if I have an O that is then extended a further 12 months based on marriage.
If I want to skip over the boarder or return shortly to Aust do I have to get a re-entry visa each time as it is not a multi O.

After reading the link page.

I now understand what the nice lady in Canberra meant by there is no long stay visa available based on marriage. It has to be retirement conditions only.
Bugger jumping through all those hoops remotely in Australia.

So if I have an O that is then extended a further 12 months based on marriage.
If I want to skip over the boarder or return shortly to Aust do I have to get a re-entry visa each time as it is not a multi O.

No such thing as an O that can be extended for 12 months on marriage. You might have an O multi based on marriage but that can not be extended. You have to get a new O-multi based on marriage and the best place in these parts is Savannahket Lao. If you have an extension to stay based on marriage which is not a visa or an O this can be extended again at immigration if you meet the finical requirement. This extension is what I'm on.

No such thing as an O that can be extended for 12 months on marriage. You might have an O multi based on marriage but that can not be extended. You have to get a new O-multi based on marriage and the best place in these parts is Savannahket Lao. If you have an extension to stay based on marriage which is not a visa or an O this can be extended again at immigration if you meet the finical requirement. This extension is what I'm on.

Ok this is actually what I meant. So on this type of visa do you have to get a re-entry stamp every time you want to travel over the boarder?.

Ok this is actually what I meant. So on this type of visa do you have to get a re-entry stamp every time you want to travel over the boarder?.

You have to exit every 90 days if you have a visa and yes Thai immigration will give you a departure stamp and you have to buy a visa from the country your entering. So make sure you do a border hop by the last day, recommend the day before, your ENTER BY date on your visa and you will get another 90 days. At the end of this as I said you can get a new O-multi based on marriage, NO finical requirments over in Savannahket Lao. Cost is 5,000 baht.

Dis you get an extension for marriage at Kap Choeng Immigration?

Last edited:
I just checked the Royal Thai Consulate website in Melbourne and they are only offering O visas, not OA.

Perhaps the A stands for annual.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought an OA visa was one issued where the issuing office had seen evidence of a retirement pension.

Back