Non Immigrant O A Visa - Why I Was Not Aware

He has to due a 90 day report at immigration or face a fine.

Yes GL, he knows this but as I said he does not need to leave the country every 90 days and can get another 12 months free, if he leaves a few days before his visa expires.

He did not have to show any evidence of sufficient funds when he applied in the UK.

Yes GL, he knows this but as I said he does not need to leave the country every 90 days and can get another 12 months free, if he leaves a few days before his visa expires.

He did not have to show any evidence of sufficient funds when he applied in the UK.

I'm not disputing what your saying but I have doubts on his story as the Thai Embassy in London is the only source for an O-A and this link from their site says otherwise along with all other reports of individuals that get an O-A form the UK.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

I'm not disputing what your saying but I have doubts on his story as the Thai Embassy in London is the only source for an O-A and this link from their site says otherwise along with all other reports of individuals that get an O-A form the UK.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Also, there are extensive reports of a hardening on the issue of visas (Hull is no longer a soft option) and evidence of income was required in all cases.

For an unmarried Brit aged 50 - 64 the only option is an O-A visa.

Last edited:
I obtained my original OA Visa based on retirement while in Australia. As stated previously, this did include a Multiple Re-entry Visa so I could leave and re-enter any time within the 12 months and would be granted a further 12 months from date of re-entry. As an extreme example I could re-enter on day 364 and be granted a further 12 months from that date.

Once the 12 months expires, the visa expires and the re-entry option also expires. ie leave Thailand after 365 days and the visa becomes invalid. I could not obtain further re-entry permits for use in a second year.

I certainly did have to present myself at Immigration every 90 days.

To obtain the visa in Australia, I had to obtain a medical certificate, a police report, evidence of earning in excess of the equivalent of 800,000 baht. The fee was in excess of A$200. I had to have three copies of everything bound and notorised by a Notary Public which cost me about A$150 for 2 five-minute visits to a fancy lawyer I had never previously met.

Since then, I have always done my 'extension to stay based on Retirement" while in Thailand.

I obtained my original OA Visa based on retirement while in Australia. As stated previously, this did include a Multiple Re-entry Visa so I could leave and re-enter any time within the 12 months and would be granted a further 12 months from date of re-entry. As an extreme example I could re-enter on day 364 and be granted a further 12 months from that date.

Once the 12 months expires, the visa expires and the re-entry option also expires. ie leave Thailand after 365 days and the visa becomes invalid. I could not obtain further re-entry permits for use in a second year.

To obtain the visa in Australia, I had to obtain a medical certificate, a police report, evidence of earning in excess of the equivalent of 800,000 baht. The fee was in excess of A$200. I had to have three copies of everything bound and notorised by a Notary Public which cost me about A$150 for 2 five-minute visits to a fancy lawyer I had never previously met.

Since then, I have always done my 'extension to stay based on Retirement" while in Thailand.

Where AB in the land down under did you obtain the OA? As for not reporting I take it you were in SinCity? Try that any where else and you will be busted.

Sorry Bill I had to put my glasses on to re read your post, you did report.

Last edited:

I know you like to be on the button Bill - so that would have been a Multiple Re-entry PERMIT, I think.

I was in Hobart so had to post everything to the Sydney Thai Consulate, from memory. (I always did my tourist and OA 3 month visas through Melbourne, but they did not handle Retirement Visas).

I feel some Members are still not clear that there is no "2nd year" with the original visa. I could not buy re-entry visas for it once the 12 months had elapsed. I could continue to stay in Thailand for 12 months from the last date of entry within the first 12 months, but if I crossed the border and did not return by Day 365 that was the end of the stay for that visa and start again.

I was in Hobart so had to post everything to the Sydney Thai Consulate, from memory. (I always did my tourist and OA 3 month visas through Melbourne, but they did not handle Retirement Visas).

I feel some Members are still not clear that there is no "2nd year" with the original visa. I could not buy re-entry visas for it once the 12 months had elapsed. I could continue to stay in Thailand for 12 months from the last date of entry within the first 12 months, but if I crossed the border and did not return by Day 365 that was the end of the stay for that visa and start again.

Are you saying you got an O-A VISA based on retirment from the consulate in Sydney and it was only valid for 1 year and not 2 years. Or are you talking about your multi re entry permit which is included in the price for your first year and you must buy a new permit inside Thailand at Thai immigration for your 2nd year.

Are you saying you got an O-A VISA based on retirment from the consulate in Sydney and it was only valid for 1 year and not 2 years. Or are you talking about your multi re entry permit which is included in the price for your first year and you must buy a new permit inside Thailand at Thai immigration for your 2nd year.

The Visa based on Retirement (or any other pedantic terminology) is valid for 1 year, the same as if I obtained it in Thailand. However, it came with a multi-entry permit so that, any time within that year, I could (and did) enter Thailand and stay for up to 12 months. Enter on Day 365 would be fine, can stay for 12 months. Enter on Day 366, no good, can stay 30 days as a tourist.

Barry the British Guru at Jomtien always considered that visa as the best available.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Visa based on Retirement (or any other pedantic terminology) is valid for 1 year, the same as if I obtained it in Thailand. However, it came with a multi-entry permit so that, any time within that year, I could (and did) enter Thailand and stay for up to 12 months. Enter on Day 365 would be fine, can stay for 12 months. Enter on Day 366, no good, can stay 30 days as a tourist.

Barry the British Guru at Jomtien always considered that visa as the best available.

OK it make sense what you had. You did not have a true OA even thou it was marked as such on the visa. A true OA is good for two years and you can buy the 2nd year re entry permit at immigration. This miss marking of OA is typical at Thai Consulates world wide as only a Thai Embassy's can issue a original O-A visa. The following is from the Thai Embassy website in Canberra.
http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/Long stay Visa O-A (5) updated 020114.pdf

Just had an individual the other day with an O-A from Canberra and his "enter by" date was 365 days off from date of issue. He's does a border bounce on day 365 and gets another 365 day stay. Only thing he has to do is go to immigration and but a reentry permit.

Last edited:
Back