Not wearing a helmet is the number one cause of road accidents in Surin

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member

SURIN, 2 August 2014 (NNT) –The Surin Road Safety Administration Center is promoting road safety and raising awareness among people to comply with traffic rules.

Surin deputy governor Thaworn Kulchote revealed that there were 15,904 motorists who have been stopped by police so far this year, and 4,356 of them did not wear helmets, followed by others who did not have driving licenses and did not wear safety belts.

In July, 25 accidents were reported, 11 fatalities and 30 injured. The major causes of accidents are driving under influence, negligence and not wearing a helmet.

NNT

Last edited:

SURIN, 2 August 2014 (NNT) –The Surin Road Safety Administration Center is promoting road safety and raising awareness among people to comply with traffic rules.

Surin deputy governor Thaworn Kulchote revealed that there were 15,904 motorists who have been stopped by police so far this year, and 4,356 of them did not wear helmets, followed by others who did not have driving licenses and did not wear safety belts.

In July, 25 accidents were reported, 11 fatalities and 30 injured. The major causes of accidents are driving under influence, negligence and not wearing a helmet.

Since when has not wearing a helmet CAUSED an accident ?

I fail to see how not wearing a helmet can be the "cause of an accident"

Quote: "Not wearing a helmet is the number one cause of road accidents in Surin". I think something got lost in translation or else the Surin Road Safety Administration Center are missing the point.

Maybe the spokesperson meant to say, "Having an accident when not wearing a helmet may lead to serious injury or death" or "Not wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike is the number one traffic violation". IMHO riding without a helmet does not cause accidents although there maybe serious consequences if you do not.

I think it should read that the major cause of deaths from accidents are a result of drinking, negligence and not wearing a helmet.

Hopefully just lost in translation.

imo

mario299

Quote: "Not wearing a helmet is the number one cause of road accidents in Surin". I think something got lost in translation or else the Surin Road Safety Administration Center are missing the point.

Maybe the spokesperson meant to say, "Having an accident when not wearing a helmet may lead to serious injury or death" or "Not wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike is the number one traffic violation". IMHO riding without a helmet does not cause accidents although there maybe serious consequences if you do not.

Don't shot the messenger. Normal Thai journalism.Crazy1

Just a chronic case of Tinglish. Had to laugh as well. I am sure they meant Injury, just lost in translation that's all.

On a more serious note. Not wearing a helmet is damned hazardous to your health. But when your 10 foot tall and bullet proof as the young think they are, they will continue to do so. Even when the BIB do a blitz's at least once a month in my area.
Side note is a couple of months ago the BIB set up a road block for helmets under a big roadside banner "100% helmet use". That night the banner was in shreds from some irate motorcyclists. Talk about childish.

If you fall off your scooter...

...and hit your head and wind up in the hospital - it is listed as an accident.

Particularly young children.

If you fall off your scooter while wearing a helmet and you don't wind up in the hospital - no one finds out. It is not listed as an accident.

I think it's a Thai POV T.I.C.
Another POV - how many times do you see someone walking around with an eye patch or see a person's eye that has been damaged by a road projectile ? That clearly is listed as an accident by the hospital.
It could have been prevented by the protective face guard on the helmet.

I'm just sayin'...don't shoot the messenger. Hate_Computer.

Thai news reports invariably don't print what they mean.

Why Nomad did Co-Co receive a thanks for the same comment I made before him, and I didn't?Cry3.

It's not just not wearing a helmets thats the problem, it's doing up the strap to stop the bugger falling off too!
They should start with the custodians of the law. How many BIB do you see with their little helmets wobbling around on their empty noggins!!!

Lead by example!!!! (Not)

I didn't see your comment! I had been typing at the same time as both of you and only saw the second comment when I posted. Mistake rectified!!!!!

Cheeky sod!

Nick has never given me a 'thanks' despite my many erudite contributions.

I would go back and 'dislike' his comment just for expecting recognition! :smile:

Last edited:
Lax law enforcement is the main cause of injuries to motorcyclists caused by road accidents.

In Phitsanulok, it is comparatively rare to see a motorcyclist NOT wearing a helmet. Surin and Buriram could be the same if the BIB would get off their backsides.

Lax law enforcement is the main cause of injuries to motorcyclists caused by road accidents.

In Phitsanulok, it is comparatively rare to see a motorcyclist NOT wearing a helmet. Surin and Buriram could be the same if the BIB would get off their backsides.

Here in Prakhonchai, approximately 50% of motorcyclists (excluding schoolchildren) wear helmets during the day.

However from around 5pm onwards, virtually nobody wears a helmet!

Back