Obtaining bail

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
From reading the newspapers it would appear that obtaining bail is normal, regardless of the gravity of the alleged offence. Murderers, even those caught in the act, and more recently alleged terrorists obtain bail quite simply.

But when a farang is arrested for a seemingly trivial offence, he is locked up and the whole issue of whether bail is on offer is disregarded.

2/3 months ago, Ray- (Coffee Corner) and I were advise of a local acquaintance having been locked up in Buriram Jail pending a court appearance some time in the future. It was for a very trivial offence. yet he had already been incarcerated for 4 days in appalling conditions.

We decided to stand bail for him, and as Ray was overseas it was left to me to do the business.

After several hours of to-ing and fro-ing at the court I was finally told that a farang cannot bail a person out. Only a Thai can do it regardless of who is putting up the guarantee. I argued the toss with them for some time without success, then eventually called my daughter - a lawyers assistant. She spoke with the court personnel, and after 5 minutes the problem was resolved.

I signed many documents, handed over the cash and was given a time to pick up the prisoner from the Jail.

Perseverance in Thailand pays -but always with a friendly disposition. NEVER accept no for an answer!

Nick ,what was the trivial offence,how much did you have to stump up and would a Thai have been locked up for the same trivial offence?

I have found a number of articles on this type of legal situation (& other) and will post them ASAP. They are BKK news articles produced by a legal company in BKK

Nick ,what was the trivial offence,how much did you have to stump up and would a Thai have been locked up for the same trivial offence?

Not really prudent to give too much info but it was a "domestic". Unlikely that with 2 Thais it would have gone as far as an arrest warrant. Bail 40K

Back