Old Siam History

B

billp

For those of you that are interested in the ancient past of the LOS , could I recommend a book written by John Hoskin and published by Asia Books Co -ISBN 974-8303-52-7 , and entitled "Falcon at the Court of Siam " . It is a fictionalized version of actual events and people who lived in Siam at the end of the 17th century . It deals in the main with the reign of King Narai who is credited with opening Siam to the West . Apart from being a good read , it gives a fair insight into the homophobic attitude of the Thai national and some explanation as to its probable causesThumbUp6

Thailand's "national poem", Khun Chang khun Phaen,
also gives some insight in Thai thinking and ways.

For those of you that are interested in the ancient past of the LOS , could I recommend a book written by John Hoskin and published by Asia Books Co -ISBN 974-8303-52-7 , and entitled "Falcon at the Court of Siam " . It is a fictionalized version of actual events and people who lived in Siam at the end of the 17th century . It deals in the main with the reign of King Narai who is credited with opening Siam to the West . Apart from being a good read , it gives a fair insight into the homophobic attitude of the Thai national and some explanation as to its probable causesThumbUp6

"Homophobic attitude of the Thai national"? That's a new one on me!

I had already had my freudian slip pointed out and agreed that I should have said xenophobic although I thought homophobic might be applicable for Pattaya.

Welcome back Jeff. Freakdoor getting to quiet for you?

There is another author who have written books (trilogy) about the same theme, Falcon from Greece,
his name is Axel Aylwen, you'll find the books easily on www.

I would highly recommend 4 Reigns (Sie Phendin) by Kukrit Pramoj. This is a well known book and has been adapted into TV Series many times. This gives you insight into old Bangkok, monarchy and up-rise of democracy (so called) in Siam.

Back