party for "late" relatives

M

mrloy99

Hi folks,I wonder if any one can help me with the name that the Thais have for the party that they make,usually a few years after someone dies.

Hi folks,I wonder if any one can help me with the name that the Thais have for the party that they make,usually a few years after someone dies.

Normally it is held from 100 days onward.

In my village it is disrectfully referred to by the villagers as a "bone party" or a "party pee"

That would be Farang villagers mai. ? :)

Tambon (Tambol) Loy Wan is more correct..

Not so CoCo. It is the Thai's who use that expression.

As for tambol roi wan, that would only be strictly correct for those that adhere to the 100 day party -most don't, basically because there is a lack of money.

The 100 Day Ceremony is a Buddhist Death Ritual where prayers for the dead are chanted, exactly 100 days after a person is cremated. The cost element creeps in due to the perceived need of relatives to feed not only the Monks, but the entire village too - with many unseen villagers crawling out of the woodwork for a freebie!

Not so CoCo. It is the Thai's who use that expression.

As for tambol roi wan, that would only be strictly correct for those that adhere to the 100 day party -most don't, basically because there is a lack of money.

The 100 Day Ceremony is a Buddhist Death Ritual where prayers for the dead are chanted, exactly 100 days after a person is cremated. The cost element creeps in due to the perceived need of relatives to feed not only the Monks, but the entire village too - with many unseen villagers crawling out of the woodwork for a freebie!

100 days after death, to be more accurate.

Even a deferred tambol loy wan would still be a 100 day 'celebration'.

100 days after death, to be more accurate.

Even a deferred tambol loy wan would still be a 100 day 'celebration'.

100 days after death is the majority view held by Buddhist web sites, although the one I looked at did state after cremation. I will accept 100 days since death.

It is indeed normally and rightfully a 100 day celebration, more usually spoken as Tambol (tamboon) ROI wan. :smile: Coco is picking up the bad habits of my village!

'Normally' and your village are not usually spoken in the same breath :)

Back