Prasat Yai Ngao

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Prasat Yai Ngao

yaingowimages_zps883b8ef4.jpg

This Khmer ruin consists of 3 towers, only 2 of which remain now, lying on laterite platforms in North-South direction. The Fine Arts Department has laid down recovered pieces in the compound’s front yard, including the tower vertex, balusters and portal frame, etc. Bas-relief found in this ruin depicts legendary animal called makon, an amalgam of lion, elephant and fish, with five-headed serpent in its mouth. The bas-relief depicting serpents resemble that of the Angkor Wat, contrived in the 12th century.

This is a Khmer sanctuary beside Highway No. 24, 4 kilometres from the district office.

Location: Amphoe Lamduan-Sangka is a 12-indented square sanctuary built of brick. The Khmer ruins lie 4 kilometers to the southeast of Amphoe Sangkha Town Hall at Ban Sangkha, Tambon Sangkha.

Located at Baan Sangkla Tambon Sangkla. Amphoe Sangkha Changwat Surin
. This is a Khmer sanctuary beside Highway No. 24, 4 kilometres from the district office.

Travel
Drive away from Sangkla district office for 4 kilometres to the southeast and take No.24 highway, then turn onto a non-asphalt road about 800 metres.
Type : Ancient Khmer Ruins

yai-ngao5_zpsd39b3ffd.jpg

yai-ngao11_zps6eca7f3e.jpg

Last edited:
Some years ago, a friend and I went round looking at all these minor Khmer sites. I don't think most of them are really worth the effort. Exceptions, Phanom Rung, Phimai, Meung Tam, Ta Meuan, Sikorapum, and maybe a couple of others. Most of them are nothing more than ruined chedis which don't mean much to a non-expert.

Some years ago, a friend and I went round looking at all these minor Khmer sites. I don't think most of them are really worth the effort. Exceptions, Phanom Rung, Phimai, Meung Tam, Ta Meuan, Sikorapum, and maybe a couple of others. Most of them are nothing more than ruined chedis which don't mean much to a non-expert.

Some are/can be rather disappointing, and a couple I saw were just a pile of bricks really - usually next to an old run down Wat, but I've visited all these ruins around this area as day trips, combining 2 or 3 for the day that were near enough to each other to make a day trip out of it. It gets one out into the land in out of the way places where you can run into some other interesting things to see, people to meet, some great pics one can see and take, etc. I see it as a way to meet the locals and see the extent of the Angkor and other cultures empires in this area. It really is amazing all the building done around here so long ago with such primitive building techniques.

I have also visited as well most of the major ruins like Sukhothai, Khao Pra Vihan, Khao Phanom Rung, Ayuthaya, as well as Angkor Wat. I'll be returning to Angkor Wat after many years and much construction I hear. I wasn't able to see much of the outlying attractions and ruins way back when I was there as there were still too many active land mines around then. I'l looking forward to doing more exploring and wandering about the area to see what I missed that may be of interest. It's a hobby of mine and I like doing it, reading up on it, and just getting away. Best to time it for the cool season though. I'll be going back to Angkor at Xmas time, so it should be decent weather for climbing rock piles. :) There are many places I'd still like to go (including Egypt and Burma), and with the new discovery of the nearby earlier culture near Angkor in the mountains I hope to see this one day soon as they excavate that place which may be quite extensive and interesting as the precursor empire to the Angkor.

Mike

I didn't mention Phra Viharn because it's closed as often as not! But the site is spectacular, if the ruins are rather a disaster.

Ayutha and Sukhothai are of course not Khmer sites. There are Khmer chedis at Lopburi, though, and also a fairly well preserved prasat in Khon Kaen Province. If you go to Sukhothai, don't miss Sri Satchanalai, a much more attractive site IMO.

Yes, I agree that chasing after these Khmer ruins makes a good day out; that's what we made of it.

I didn't mention Phra Viharn because it's closed as often as not! But the site is spectacular, if the ruins are rather a disaster.

Ayutha and Sukhothai are of course not Khmer sites. There are Khmer chedis at Lopburi, though, and also a fairly well preserved prasat in Khon Kaen Province. If you go to Sukhothai, don't miss Sri Satchanalai, a much more attractive site IMO.

Yes, I agree that chasing after these Khmer ruins makes a good day out; that's what we made of it.

but you can get to it, Phra Viharn, from the Cambodian side. no problem..

Back