Pre-Valentine lunch

J

johnb

In view of the militant Buddhist hijacking of Valentine's Day for Makha Bucha tomorrow, I decided to take my special one out for a romantic lunch today.

Unfortunately she was not available, so I took my wife, step-daughter and grandson instead. That, just in case the Surin rumour mill starts grinding, was my feeble attempt at a joke.

We went, wife's choice, to Orr's Barbecue Prawn......it's the place with a huge plastic prawn by the roadside just as you are leaving Surin on the Buriram road.

You sit on the floor in your own little chalets overlooking the water. Sit on the floor that is, unless you request, as I did at an early stage, a plastic chair. Getting down to the floor is not a problem; getting up after lunch requires heavy lifting gear and I saw no evidence of such provision in the car park. The slip of a waitress scurried off to find one of their sturdiest plastic chairs....bless her.

My grandson imposed few demands on the menu but the rest of us enjoyed...
two large fish, one fried with herbs, the other steamed with vegetables
half a kilo of the barbecued prawns that give the place its name
a plate of uncooked prawns (never saw the attraction of those but, hey, my family eat bugs, grubs and all kinds of fermented fish gunge)
som tam
two Thai-style salads
stir fried kale
seafood fried rice
a couple of beers
Fanta and water

All was presented and served immaculately. Total bill 1550 including a reasonable tip. Pretty good, I think, for a special occasion.

I think we farangs often overlook places that have been here for years, right under our noses. I have been living in or visiting Surin for 12 years and its the first time I've been to this place, though I have driven past scores of times.

Happy Makha Bucha day to you all.

Good idea to get the family out of the way today, john. Now the coast is clear for that romantic lunch tomorrow.

Question: If you were to bring from home your own bottle of romantic, high quality wine to a restaurant on Makha Bucha day, would you be allowed to open and drink it?

Good idea to get the family out of the way today, john. Now the coast is clear for that romantic lunch tomorrow.

Question: If you were to bring from home your own bottle of romantic, high quality wine to a restaurant on Makha Bucha day, would you be allowed to open and drink it?

Theoretically, yes.

The law is about selling booze, not actually drinking it.

You then move into that subtle Thai area of "respect"".

At the end of the day it will probably be "up to you" - which, as we all know, means absolutely fcuk all !!

"Up to you" in this case would probably mean, "Drink it if you must, but we are not very happy about that!"

Dum jai khun (Up to you) normally implies a reluctant permission or agreement.

I lost out to Buddha today.

The missus is at the temple with family and will wander around with a candle for a few hours.

I respect her culture and religion but, for me, time together comes before any 'culture' and certainly any religion.

Mai bpen rai.

In the scheme of things it is not hugely important. So, I shall enjoy a fantastic, authentic vindaloo curry from Little India, washed down with a 850 Baht bottle of Rioja from Norbies. I do believe I have some strawberries and whipped cream in the fridge.

I hope the missus enjoys her sticky fookin' rice.

The missus is at the temple with family and will wander around with a candle for a few hours.

I respect her culture and religion but, for me, time together comes before any 'culture' and certainly any religion.

Mai bpen rai.

In the scheme of things it is not hugely important. So, I shall enjoy a fantastic, authentic vindaloo curry from Little India, washed down with a 850 Baht bottle of Rioja from Norbies. I do believe I have some strawberries and whipped cream in the fridge.

Spot on, Coco. Your dinner sounds great. Enjoy.

The lovely wife and daughter did Merit this morning, then we had lunch at the BaNa Restaurant at the reservoir, based on the recent recommendations on this forum. Excellent food, was allowed beer if we kept it out of sight of any police that might be interested, all in all a great time. Fish, chicken, tomyam shrimp, crab khaophat and some takeaway crab was a little over 1200 baht for three of us.

Mario299:biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mai bpen rai.

For all my wifes Buddha foibles, she went nowhere yesterday. Prancing around the wat with candles is not important to her.

We(wife and family) had a nice meal on the Prakhonchai lake (Baan Peet) on Maka Bucha eve, complete with alcohol. No pics I'm afraid.

Mai bpen rai.

COCO you along with the rest of us lose out to Buddha every day!

My wife returned early from her business, Top Tees, and I cooked a special Valentine's day roast for the family: roast loin of pork, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with a rich onion gravy. It was topped off with a rather nice bottle of Australian red wine, Berri Estates Bin 777. We all enjoyed the meal and there are left overs for a meal today.

My wife returned early from her business, Top Tees, and I cooked a special Valentine's day roast for the family: roast loin of pork, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with a rich onion gravy. It was topped off with a rather nice bottle of Australian red wine, Berri Estates Bin 777. We all enjoyed the meal and there are left overs for a meal today.

Left-overs in my childhood days -usually on a Monday - meant cold meat with chips followed by a rice pudding!

Back