renewal etc at Kap Choeng

J

johnb

I had a good experience today at KC immigration.....all went well and was brisk and efficient.

Arrived at BKK Bank Kap Choeng at 08h40 to request a letter confirming my 800k plus in place for 3 months. In my hand, cost 100 baht, by 08h55.

Entered the Immigration Office just before 09h00. One guy doing a 90 day ahead of me. Sat down with the Officer at 09h03.

I was doing my annual retirement extension, a multi-entry stamp and requesting two certificates of residence for renewal of my two driving licenses.

We left the office at 10h03. The most time consuming bit was the residence certs. The immigration officers themselves no longer do this but delegate it to the assistants who guard the door and the ticket machine. The process was extended by the assistant disappearing to another part of the office for a while, not sure why, and by a fellow farang in the queue borrowing her glue stick to affix his photos to his documents. Then the completed paperwork had to sit on the Immigration Officer's desk for 5 minutes awaiting his perusal and signature.

Nevertheless, 60 minutes for all three processes was pretty good. What is more, all was carried out with great courtesy and good humour.

We went on to M+D for a coffee and chat, a pleasure which was shortened only by my wife deciding it was time we got along to Chong Chom Market to do some Christmas shopping.

Lunch at Huai Senang on the way back into Surin. All in all a very satisfactory day........

only slight concern?.....opening SF forum on arrival at home to see Voodoo's post about driving licenses......the next part of my grand plan is to go to the Licensing Office in Surin tomorrow to have my one year temporary licenses replaced by 5 year ones. I will report on this once it becomes clear how things transpire!

and requesting two certificates of residence for renewal of my two driving licenses.

I'm sure I didn't need the COR for my renewal of the driving licence a couple of years ago. Is this a new requirement?

Cheers

Y

I'm sure I didn't need the COR for my renewal of the driving licence a couple of years ago. Is this a new requirement?

Cheers

Y

No it is not a new requirement need COR every time if your lucky they will accept a yellow house book or a work permit.

I renewed my retirement extension today and was in and out in 25 minutes. I was also given my 100 baht change from my 2000 baht without any problems. Great service!!

I renewed my retirement extension today and was in and out in 25 minutes. I was also given my 100 baht change from my 2000 baht without any problems. Great service!!

Joe, as you are under 55 years old...how exactly do you have a 'retirement' visa ?

R U sure you do not have 'marriage' (spousal) visa as you have been seen with quite a lovely lady at many Surin Farang get-togethers :confused:

Joe, as you are under 55 years old...how exactly do you have a 'retirement' visa ?

R U sure you do not have 'marriage' (spousal) visa as you have been seen with quite a lovely lady at many Surin Farang get-togethers :confused:

You only have to be 50 years old for an extension to stay based on retirement or any other visa obtained outside Thailand based on retirement.

You only have to be 50 years old for an extension to stay based on retirement or any other visa obtained outside Thailand based on retirement.

Damn GL, if Joe is over 50 years old that would make me...:frown: old Cry3.
(What the hell am I doing out at night ?)

Still Joe, R U sure you're not holding a visa based on marriage ?

I have a retirement extension. The old rules were 55 and no working. They changed it about 5 years ago to 50 and you are allowed to work. I'm 55 now and was on a marriage extension until I was 50.

Last edited:

Cheers

Y

Apparently my missis confirmed that I did. My memory is shite!

Cheers

Y

I have a retirement extension. The old rules were 55 and no working. They changed it about 5 years ago to 50 and you are allowed to work. I'm 55 now and was on a marriage extension until I was 50.

Are you sure that you are allowed to work on a visa extension based on retirement? I always thought you were not allowed to work.

Are you sure that you are allowed to work on a visa extension based on retirement? I always thought you were not allowed to work.

I too would appreciate some clarification of this point. I have been offered quite a few mini-jobs in the last year all of which I have turned down. I might have considered them more seriously had I known I would not be jeopardising the terms of my retirement visa.

I understand that "retirement" means retirement - not work! Here is a part of an item from TV.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) Extension
This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).
1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.
1.4 Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535.

Last edited by a moderator:
SurinFarang may be able to add some info on the work bit..Every now and then someone does get threw the crack.

SurinFarang may be able to add some info on the work bit..Every now and then someone does get threw the crack.

The situation is as stated in post #13, however in true Thai fashion it is as clear as mud.
Last year I obtained a retirement extension without a 'work prohibited' stamp from Jomtiem Imm. My initial visa had one stamped by Hull consulate. As I had no stamp, I was able to obtain a work permit and work.
This year, I initially visited my local Imm office to ask the best way forward. I could see that I had 3 options

1. get another Retirement extension locally (with money in bank).
  2. as above in Jomtiem
  3. Leave LOS to get a 'B' visa, then extend it locally. (no money in bank needed just the correct teaching qualification)
I was advised to go down Route no.3 and I did just that so I had then no problems with Imm or Employment Office.
I have heard stories about farang&Thai workers not being able to work after the age of 60, but I am presently working with a fine (old) 60+ year old Japanese gentleman in my university. I am therefore unsure if that's just a Government School thing???

I remember when I was in a similar situation as JohnB when asked to work (in English Camps around Surin about 7 years ago) and I was very worried about being caught out but the truth of the matter is, no-one cares about Immigration in schools and are immensely happy to have the opportunity to get a native speaker in some of these village schools. I did it, on and off for a couple of years and met some very nice people whilst having a very pleasant time helping others.

Last edited:
Kap Choeng immigration is 100% aware of my situation and told me I need a retirement extension and was free to do my kind of work.

My work has nothing to do with Thailand. I work for a company in Virginia and all projects are in the Washington metro area. Any work having to do with Thailand would need a permit. This was told to me by Daw.

Let me clarify. You are allowed to work in some certain instances where you weren't allowed before. My situation being one of them.

again, i stand corrected

"Is there anyone out there ?
...can you hear me Major Thom ?"Dream1

Thank you Joe. I satnd corrected.
I'll put down the bottle and step to the curb Oops5

My work has nothing to do with Thailand. I work for a company in Virginia and all projects are in the Washington metro area. Any work having to do with Thailand would need a permit. This was told to me by Daw.

You are absolutely correct Joe. If your work is strictly out of country, like yours,-absolutely no problem.

Back