retaining wall

Rice

Resident Smart Arse
Hi Guys

I am on a 5 year plan to coincide with my retirement in three years time. I have so far built a dam and prepared a raised home block on my wifes 14 rai of land. The block I prepared is some 50m X 50m the din is raised to around 1.5 meters from the surrounding rice fields.
The next project is a retaining wall to start in Feb 2011. The only thing is I can't decide on a technique. I would like to use T or I beam structure with prefab panels in between. I admit I have not seen this around. The local wall chung wants to build a solid wall pinned every 2.5 meters for around 1300 B for two meters. HUH 2m long, high or square you got me. And I can speak Thai it sometimes does not help.
Any suggetions would be great at this stage. I will leave the preparation of the dam comedy for you when you guys need a laugh. By the way I am just out of sikhorapum.

Rice

Thanks I will check them out. I don't know how willing the local wall chungs are to adapt to new technology. I like the idea if there is a wall failure, it is localized and easier to repair and the panels allow water seepage between them. The retaining wall is really just to stop erosion and act as a fence to keep out the wandering kwai. My father inlaw has already jumped at the chance to put a market garden on the house block. But alas the wandering kwai ate it all. Not even my kwai! The kwai are smart enough not to venture into my dam. It is 8m deep. How it got 8m deep is another story. My wife said a little deeper would be nice and they dug it 4 more meters. I have calculated I have 2 megalitres. But the up side was they did a really great job.
Sometime you have to win just a little.

Cheers Rice

Agree, they try and use the fence block as a retaining wall, won't last, On one side I used real rock and built a rock retaining wall, then put the fence on top. It cost a little more, but will be there until I am gone....on the other side I poured a concrete wall base, then the fence on top.

Some time it’s worth getting advice from a building engineer or architect before building what you might think is a good retaining wall. So many times I’ve seen leaning walls around Thailand ,I could have a look for you and give my advice if you wish no problem no charge ! :wink:

Back