Retirement extension yesterday at Sisaket.....

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688420-retirement-extension-yesterday-at-sisaket/#entry7150518

Just thought I'd share my latest experience of annual retirement extension and the shite that we have to endure from some officials.

Even though it's not on the list of required documents, I've been told for several years by the Sisaket Immigration officers that my retirement extension would not be granted unless I produced a recent medical cert.
Accompanied by my wife, I therefore turned up with the med. cert., photocopies of all passport pages, Embassy letter confirming income,1900 Baht and 3 photos (also told every year that 3 were required).

First thing I noticed was that all four male officers were "new faces" and none of them smiling..............

The med. cert. and two of the photos were, quite literally, thrown back over the desk with the comment "No want".

Having found everything in order with my paperwork the officer then demanded my wife's phone number and a copy of her Tabien Baan but settled for her ID card which he then photocopied and made her sign - I know, neither of these docs are required for a retirement extension (what would he have demanded if I had been single?).

Seeing that the renewal process was nearing completion my wife produced the 1900 Baht and was told "2000 Baht" which she gave to the officer in return for a receipt made out for 1900 Baht!

I waited until my passport was back in my possession then pushed the receipt back over the desk, pointed to the discrepancy and politely asked for another receipt for 100 Baht or a new receipt for 2000 Baht.

The "senior" officer (I assume, as he was in civvies not uniform) then barked loudly that the 100 Baht was for "Service" and "Photocopies".
I stayed cool and merely repeated that I wanted a receipt for this extra 100 Baht - this seemed to enrage him beyond comprehension and he shouted to the desk officer to give me back my 100 Baht and told my wife that he would be reporting me to our local village police for "investigation"!
I thanked him for the 100 Baht and we left.

Within minutes of driving away he phoned my wife and harangued her before ending up with the threat that I would not be dealt with in the future "unless I brought all my own photocopies with me"!

Very sad that these ar**holes are allowed to act like they do without any fear of consequences - up until now we've always had a polite and friendly reception at this office but times change, it seems.

I waited until my passport was back in my possession then pushed the receipt back over the desk, pointed to the discrepancy and politely asked for another receipt for 100 Baht or a new receipt for 2000 Baht.

The "senior" officer (I assume, as he was in civvies not uniform) then barked loudly that the 100 Baht was for "Service" and "Photocopies".
I stayed cool and merely repeated that I wanted a receipt for this extra 100 Baht - this seemed to enrage him beyond comprehension and he shouted to the desk officer to give me back my 100 Baht and told my wife that he would be reporting me to our local village police for "investigation"!
I thanked him for the 100 Baht and we left.

i know what you say is right but for all that hassle AND future problems, Id rather give them 100b. I found them to be OK (in an unprofessional kind of way)

BTW, why did you not use the Imm office nearby to your business???????

Last edited:
I agree with Ivor's comments.

I am split between admiration for you standing your ground and condemnation for creating potential problems for the sake of 100 Baht.

On balance I am going fort admiration - but next time don't take your wife or go to KC :smile:

PS - is the missus talking to you ??????

i know what you say is right but for all that hassle AND future problems, Id rather give them 100b. I found them to be OK (in an unprofessional kind of way)

BTW, why did you not use the Imm office nearby to your business???????

Put your specks on and check the link at the top of the articular..

Put your specks on and check the link at the top of the articular..

caught me too.

Piss poor posting GL - you should learn to introduce a 3rd party posting properly.

It does look like it was your own experience, Now I understand - you wouldn't have the balls to insist on a receipt :eek::eek::eek:

caught me too.

Piss poor posting GL - you should learn to introduce a 3rd party posting properly.

It does look like it was your own experience, Now I understand - you wouldn't have the balls to insist on a receipt :eek::eek::eek:

Dont need to smart ass.MonkeyFight

:smile:

I still think he was brave risking the wrath of his wife..................

He wont have no balls after she feeds them to the ducks..
images

I renewed my visa extension based on retirement one week ago in KCI, together with a 90-day report. They were very polite, efficient and only asked for and charged 1900 Baht. I gave them 2000 and without asking they returned 100 Baht in change. I put the 100 Baht in the photocopy box as a good will gesture. That was duly acknowledged with a pleasant kok kun kap. The only thing that let them down was the computer system - very, very slow. Even the desk officer apologised for the delay induced by waiting for the computer to respond.

Both my wife and I had to pose for the desk top camera. My wife said had she known she was to have her picture taken she would have put on some make-up and made herself look pretty. The desk officer laughed. Apparently, the purpose of the photo session is to combat people who claim that Immigration put the wrong dates in their passport when they turn up late or over due. Now they just go back to the date stamped photo and say, "No we didn't." Our mission was accomplished with a smile and a laugh.

As to the OP's experience in Sisaket Immigration - I do not admire his stand and I think he is an idiot. For sure, he is now a marked man and next time he goes into Immigration, for whatever reason, I bet he will be well and truly fcuked around. All for 100 Baht - good luck to him, I think he will need it.

If it says 1900 baht on the tin that is what you need to pay, not 1800 or 2000 baht...

No issues with paying more if you are asking for the rules to be bent....but a straight normal extension Is just that...1900 baht on the nose...

Kudos to the OP ThumbUp6

p.s when in your own country and go to the Thai Immigration they dont ask or take more and fail to supply a receipt

Last edited:
Standing up for a principle is all well and fine, but not at what could be at your considerable expense later. Everyone on every Thai forum laughs, jokes and complains about what is euphemistically called 'tea money'. Lets accept it guys and gals, it part of everyday life in Thailand. We all know it happens, we have all been 'pinged' at one time or another, so if it is for a relatively small amount, ignore it and move on.It goes with the territory. Life is easier when you embrace the local customs rather than fight them.

If it says 1900 baht on the tin that is what you need to pay, not 1800 or 2000 baht...

No issues with paying more if you are asking for the rules to be bent....but a straight normal extension Is just that...1900 baht on the nose...

Kudos to the OP ThumbUp6

p.s when in your own country and go to the Thai Immigration they dont ask or take more and fail to supply a receipt

Alan's post is 100% spot on..

... BUT... this is Thailand and they don't play by the same Marquess of Queensbury rules.

In Thailand (maybe other places as well) one has to balance principles with local practices.

It gives me no pleasure to admit that I would most probably have taken the 100 Baht on the chin for the sake of an easy life. I accept that is not compromise but simple acquiescence.

Is it right that we (Isaan Angkor Tours) pay Cambodian immigration at O'smach $25 for a visa when the published price is $20. "No" is the obvious answer. But, when you want a smooth passage for up to 39 people waiting to get on a bus a point of principle is arguably not worth 160 Baht.

Traveling alone, I would be quite prepared to stand there (for a long time if necessary) with $20 bill in my hand and a condescending smile on my face.

Alan's post is 100% spot on..

... BUT... this is Thailand and they don't play by the same Marquess of Queensbury rules.

In Thailand (maybe other places as well) one has to balance principles with local practices.

It gives me no pleasure to admit that I would most probably have taken the 100 Baht on the chin for the sake of an easy life. I accept that is not compromise but simple acquiescence.

Is it right that we (Isaan Angkor Tours) pay Cambodian immigration at O'smach $25 for a visa when the published price is $20. "No" is the obvious answer. But, when you want a smooth passage for up to 39 people waiting to get on a bus a point of principle is arguably not worth 160 Baht.

Traveling alone, I would be quite prepared to stand there (for a long time if necessary) with $20 bill in my hand and a condescending smile on my face.

They see that mob coming it will be 1200 baht each not 800.Oops5

'tipping'

Gratuity...must be an A-mer-i-can 'thang'. Oh well.

If the Immigration officers did have to make additional copies for the OP's Visa Application - why shouldn't they charge him 'additional' ("tea money") ?

How much would the petrol and 'his time' cost if he had to exit the IMM office and search for a copier down the road.

Personally speaking THB 100 is a relatively minor 'discretion' to make your life easier.
My grandma used to say, "Kindness Never Goes Bad."
Though, in Thailand - YOU do not want to "overdo' it Think1

You can call it graft, corruption, 'nibbling' or whatever you wish...:mad:
but just think how much you have blown living your dream in LOS :frown:

Tipping is all about customs and practice.
In a restaurant in the UK I normally tip however if I get poor service I don't tip and generally there is no hassle.
I have had two instances in the States which to me were no different to Thailand.
At SFO International Departures I got off the airport bus next to an external baggage load point, they took my bags and then made it very obvious in front of fellow passengers they were expecting a tip.
The second time was in a restaurant in the Nappa Valley where we had gone for breakfast. The place was quite busy but we were seated without being given the option to wait in a dark and dingy back room. Service was very slow without any apologies being given. I didn't tip and the waitress was very unpleasant muttering loudly for everyone to hear.
Particularly my experience in the restaurant was it any different to the situation at Sisaket Immigration? Perhaps only in the one aspect that the Immigration Office is a Public Body but in both cases it feels like extortion.
Incidentally I can echo Nomad's comments about the staff at KCI. Last February when I made my first retirement extension they were very efficient and polite and like him because they made some photocopies I gratefully put 100 baht which hadn't been requested in the box. It is a far better option than being told your documentation is incomplete can you go away and bring back the correct paperwork.

Sisaket Imm granted me a re-entry stamp/permit even though I forgot a photo. It was no problem for them, they just said being it in inThe next couple of days.
Now, there is no way that that would happen in UK. So there is always 2 sides isn't there.

Tipping is all about customs and practice.
In a restaurant in the UK I normally tip however if I get poor service I don't tip and generally there is no hassle.
I have had two instances in the States which to me were no different to Thailand.
At SFO International Departures I got off the airport bus next to an external baggage load point, they took my bags and then made it very obvious in front of fellow passengers they were expecting a tip.
The second time was in a restaurant in the Nappa Valley where we had gone for breakfast. The place was quite busy but we were seated without being given the option to wait in a dark and dingy back room. Service was very slow without any apologies being given. I didn't tip and the waitress was very unpleasant muttering loudly for everyone to hear.
Particularly my experience in the restaurant was it any different to the situation at Sisaket Immigration? Perhaps only in the one aspect that the Immigration Office is a Public Body but in both cases it feels like extortion.
Incidentally I can echo Nomad's comments about the staff at KCI. Last February when I made my first retirement extension they were very efficient and polite and like him because they made some photocopies I gratefully put 100 baht which hadn't been requested in the box. It is a far better option than being told your documentation is incomplete can you go away and bring back the correct paperwork.

I think there is another factor - expectation.

We EXPECT to be ripped off at every turn because we believe that Thailand is corrupt from top to bottom and that Farangs are seen as a legitimate target for paying more.

Not 100% true but corruption and lying pervades every aspect of Thai life so we expect to encounter. It is more of a shock in UK/USA.

Back