Salak Dai Market

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Has anyone heard if the Salak Dai open market will be re-opening shortly?

Monday and Thursday evenings were their normal operating times before the shut down.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was told that the three very large markets in Kap Choeng may reopen in their original locations next week. This is a call by the Surin GOV.

dc1842d06f323c8ea34a5fdbc5dec677.jpg

@Yorky, SWMBO thinks the market will be opened today. She is going to pop down and have a look around 17.00. I will update the forum on her return.

I was about to say that my wife may drive by on her way back from the afternoon market but she's just arrived back. She normally goes on the bicycle.

I thought that Salat Dai was in Ban Nong… A long way to go for those melons Nomad! Isn't ours called Salak Dai?

I do not know where my wife goes for her tasty morsels. I do not like to enquire either. As long as she comes back with a smile on her face, that's all that matters.

During my first visit to Surin in July 2012, I was dragged kicking and screaming to Salak Dai market, after a rain shower, when the mosquitos were rampant. It was immediately nicknamed the Yung Market, and has been know by that name to SWMBO's family ever since. I haven't been back there!

Stop press! My roving reporter (SWMBO), has just telephoned to say there is no Salak Dai market. She is now proceeding to the small market in town (which has been open as usual these past few weeks).

Stop press! My roving reporter (SWMBO), has just telephoned to say there is no Salak Dai market. She is now proceeding to the small market in town (which has been open as usual these past few weeks).

My wife brought back from there what look to be excellent pork short ribs. They are now in the freezer.

Any information on Chong Chom Market will be back in operation ? Or are you calling it Kap Choeng ? Anymore word on where the new immigration offices going to be in Surin.

Any information on Chong Chom Market will be back in operation ? Or are you calling it Kap Choeng ? Anymore word on where the new immigration offices going to be in Surin.
Hello @jpsurin, we do call Chong Chom market 'Chong Chom' market, not Kap Koeng market. I do not know when they will be reopening. I have not heard anything about the new immigration offices coming to Surin, nor where they may be located. I think the new offices, if they do come to Surin, will be linked to the opening of the new City Hall on the ring road. I had heard that the new building will be opening towards the end of this year. However, I cannot find any recent news about this project so take that info with a pinch of salt.

Hello @jpsurin, we do call Chong Chom market 'Chong Chom' market, not Kap Koeng market. I do not know when they will be reopening. I have not heard anything about the new immigration offices coming to Surin, nor where they may be located. I think the new offices, if they do come to Surin, will be linked to the opening of the new City Hall on the ring road. I had heard that the new building will be opening towards the end of this year. However, I cannot find any recent news about this project so take that info with a pinch of salt.

Chong Chom market will not open until the crossing reopens. I was just down there for a drive about the other day. With the market and crossing closed major head way is being made through the market area for the highway upgrade as most stalls on the east side of 214 have been removed and major work are in progress for a NEW market. The only thing open is the Tesco and 7-11 with a couple food carts. There is a new PTT complex about 2 km from CC that is coming along nicely and next door to it is another market area being developed This market I'm told is where my boss and her group have booked a shop. As for SI opening another office in Surin it will be in the new government complex if and when and that came directly to me from SI from the capt. with no misunderstanding SI is not moving from Kap Chong but Surin City may at sometime get an annex. Now back to Chong Chom. Cross border commercial traffic is using the crossing. I counted some 20 or so 22 wheel lories inside the custom yard waiting their turn to go across. The Chong Chom area is a virtual a ghost town.

Last edited:
Back