Seafood restaurant on the buriram road outside town

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
Visited this large restaurant last night after a dental visit in town. It is situate some 5/6kms out on the Buriram road and is a large place with huts built around a lake. There is a large prawn on the roadside watching the passing traffic.

We were quickly taken to a hut by a couple of lovely looking waitresses and presented with a single somewhat tatty picture menu. Drinks were ordered, but the waitress remained with pad and pencil poised to take our food order. With only 1 menu, 3 of us had not even seen what was on offer, and she was despatched to get the drinks and additional menus. The drinks arrived quickly, but alas no menus. Instead of pouring the drinks, she once again stood with pad and pencil poised, and had to be instructed to first pour the drinks.

We finally ordered an assortment of items which included 2 crab, and 2 prawn dishes and a whole fish with an interesting topping.

After some 5 minutes we were advised there were no crabs. WOT!! A seafood restaurant with no crabs. There were plenty in Makro just an hour earlier. Back to the menu and other items were ordered.

The deep fried prawns were not a golden brown colour as anticipated but were a dark brown crispy coated battered mushy affair and I am not convinced they contained any prawn. The sauce dip was uninspiring. A 2nd prawn dish similar to a Tom Yum was tasty, but contained only the heads and tails of large prawns. What happened to the middles I wonder.

The "whole" fish eventually arrived, but was chopped up, and instead of being moist and succulent was slightly overcooked and crispy (Oops - am I allowed to use that word on SF?)

The remaining food was so-so

My daughter said the ice cream was aroi, and did I mention the waitresses? boobs2boobs2

Overall diasppointing. Won't be returning.

That restaurant used to serve fantastic food Nick, but for the past couple of years the quality of food and service has took a rapid decline to the point where we were served absolute shit a few months ago. My misses who by chance is an excellent cook was incensed that they served us up fried fish that was black with dirty oil and raw on the inside. We even had to squabble over the bill as they saw fit to charge us for it. In a nutshell the food was vile.

Never again, what a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say this but your comments are one of the reasons I prefer to cook my own food and eat at home. There are lots and lots of restaurants in Surin but, unfortunately, the good ones are few and far between. IMHO the most common failing is the excessive use of MSG to add flavour because the cooks lack the necessary cooking skill to make tasty dishes with natural ingredients. I always feel the after effects of excessive MSG because my throat goes dry, I get the start of a headache and I need to drink copious quantities of water to rehydrate. I am also concerned about the lack of proper hygiene in the storage, preparation and cooking of the food. Too many times after we have eaten out either my wife or myself has gone down with Deli Belly.

Dodgy restreraunts

I couldn't agree more Nomad.
Meat left out @ ambient temperature, filthy bench tops, unwashed timber chopping boards and dirty knives.
We chose not to eat out either for this exact same reason and, besides, both my wife and myself can cook to our tastes and to our standards.

The last time I ate at that restaurant was around 5 years ago and it was starting to slide down the nick then. It did serve good and tasty food before that but I couldn't comment on the hygiene.

I agree with Nomad and Feret and generally stick with home cooking.

Big bite somtimes has live crabs ready to cook for your order .
Also white snapper ,and osters .
you can eat in or out .
Also there's a small seafood place near where you go train spotting Nick just opposite the train track can't miss it indoor place .
Main deal there is crab .

Sorry to hear that. It used to be great but I haven't been there in a while. I guess I won't be going back.

Sorry to hear that. It used to be great but I haven't been there in a while. I guess I won't be going back.

Why shouldn't you let your own experience dictate what you like ?

Maybe it does suck ?
Maybe nobody ordered the house specialty - large roasted shrimp ?
I don't know.
If your wife says "it's bad" then that would be a whole other story Hug1

Why shouldn't you let your own experience dictate what you like ?

Maybe it does suck ?
Maybe nobody ordered the house specialty - large roasted shrimp ?
I don't know.
If your wife says "it's bad" then that would be a whole other story Hug1

The fish was raw and caked in filthy oil, I didnt need my wife to tell me that. Being a passionate cook, my wife just takes these things more personally than i do. I honestly don't think its a matter of personal taste, as the standard last time was appalling in both quality and hygiene.
IMO this restaurant is a real fall from grace story. It arguably served up some of the best food in Surin at one point Im confident there are other board members who agree on that as it used to be a very popular venue. I take no pleasure in this negative review, as i used to really enjoy going to this place.
If anyone has any positive recent reviews on this place i would be interested to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw Kung Pao

I dined there with another forum member whose family resides nearby a few months back and all enjoyed their meal and the boys had a few cold ones with ice which the servers are very responsive to..

Prior to that was in Sept and it was a family occasion which meant a sh-tload of food and everyone ate a variety of dishes (shrimp, crab, fish, soups) with gusto.

Personally I've grown a distaste for the breaded (battered) fried fish, chicken , shrimp - because it's mostly batter or bread and little of what should be inside.
Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of nor frequent KFC.

As for that shrimp head 'n tail soup...not my thing. I don't get it thought the Thais revel in it. mad1
Additionally, it has never been about the ambiance sitting in wood patios above standing water...almost makes me feel like the potential of dengue central.

Their signature Shrimp motiff is indicative of their specialty - Kung Pao...and I've never been disappointed with their shrimp dishes. For me that is their specialty - plain & simple.

As for Nick's unfavourable review so be it. That's his experience yesterday. He did acknowledge nice lasses greeting & taking orders which some on this forum might deem mandatory for digestion. (I could care less though a pretty face is always nice.) Agreed, the kids seem to like the ice cream very much...particularly 'rainbow' flavour.

Maybe the restaurant sucks now...many places change...that's cool.
There are many restaurants in Surin where Thais dine on seafood so there's quite a variety to choose from.
If your not Thai or with a Thai you'll rarely know where the gems are.

My words were in response to Joe.
Joe recommended it to Nick as a 'thumbs up'.
I think one bad review (though seconded) wouldn't keep me from making my own mind up - particularly if the Thai 'significant other' enjoys it.

If we went by unfavourable reviews (particularly word of mouth) then we wouldn't eat in half the restaurants around town. shrug1

I dined there with another forum member whose family resides nearby a few months back and all enjoyed their meal and the boys had a few cold ones with ice which the servers are very responsive to..

Prior to that was in Sept and it was a family occasion which meant a sh-tload of food and everyone ate a variety of dishes (shrimp, crab, fish, soups) with gusto.

Personally I've grown a distaste for the breaded (battered) fried fish, chicken , shrimp - because it's mostly batter or bread and little of what should be inside.
Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of nor frequent KFC.

As for that shrimp head 'n tail soup...not my thing. I don't get it thought the Thais revel in it. mad1
Additionally, it has never been about the ambiance sitting in wood patios above standing water...almost makes me feel like the potential of dengue central.

Their signature Shrimp motiff is indicative of their specialty - Kung Pao...and I've never been disappointed with their shrimp dishes. For me that is their specialty - plain & simple.

As for Nick's unfavourable review so be it. That's his experience yesterday. He did acknowledge nice lasses greeting & taking orders which some on this forum might deem mandatory for digestion. (I could care less though a pretty face is always nice.) Agreed, the kids seem to like the ice cream very much...particularly 'rainbow' flavour.

Maybe the restaurant sucks now...many places change...that's cool.
There are many restaurants in Surin where Thais dine on seafood so there's quite a variety to choose from.
If your not Thai or with a Thai you'll rarely know where the gems are.

My words were in response to Joe.
Joe recommended it to Nick as a 'thumbs up'.
I think one bad review (though seconded) wouldn't keep me from making my own mind up - particularly if the Thai 'significant other' enjoys it.

If we went by unfavourable reviews (particularly word of mouth) then we wouldn't eat in half the restaurants around town. shrug1

I think the main beef was the fact that they could not provide crab dishes, despite having many crab dishes on the menu , and not able to advise that fact immediately.
It may not be close to the sea, but if Makro can stock crabs every day, then a seafood restaurant should also be able to do so!

Had crab been available, I feel sure the review would have been much better. Still wondering where the prawn middle bits went to.

Back