Sod's Law

As that all they are rated at? Seems a bit low for water flow. I just checked the specs on my pump. 12 m head pressure output which is 17 psi which in turn is 1.18 Bar.
Since this is @nomad97 Sods law OP. What is the bet it fails with a 16% increase. What would the failure mode percentage be? Hmm maybe 20% if I am lucky.
Damn it. I am going to push my luck.
Bye the way how did you know that spec @Yorky ?

I believe the pressure rating on the fitting is 50 psi (3.3 barg) because most of the domestic blue water fittings are that. The fitting has "20 PVC 13.5" embossed on it but I've no idea what that means. However, I know the unrestrained "failure pressure" because my pump is good for 1 barg and the connection comes apart if the outlet pipe is not restrained.

Last edited:
I believe the pressure rating on the fitting is 50 psi (3.3 barg) because most of the domestic blue water fittings are that. The fitting has "20 PVC 13.5" embossed on it but I've no idea what that means. However, I know the unrestrained "failure pressure" because my pump is good for 1 barg and the connection comes apart if the outlet pipe is not restrained.

FYI

The second set of numbers is the class of PVC. There are three Classes. PVC 5 , 8.5 ,and 13.5. This is in units of kgf/cm2 at 27ºC respectively. This is refereed to Kilogram force per centimeter

So a 13.5 fitting coverts to 13.23 Bar. Which is a whopping 192 PSI that has to be an absolute surely. I am starting to doubt my own figures now. As I had never actually worked it out before. The failure mode on a compression fitting would be quite different though.

And talking about Sod's Law I have just been had again. The door handle/lock on the back door gave up the ghost last night. After 7 years of weathering in the sun and rain it decided that it would no longer lock. We do have the benefit of an internal steel door so security of the house had been impaired but not breached.

View attachment 26397

No problems I thought, pop along to Homepro this morning, buy a new handle mechanism, come home and change out the lock. Easy peasy, a 10 minute job at most and one that I have done many times before. Wrong! One and half hours later and I am still cursing the replacement fitting. To begin, the plate that fits to the door frame was a different size to the one that I had removed. I had to chisel out and enlarge the hole to accommodate the new retaining plate. Went to fit the new lock only to find the part, the barrel that fits in the edge of the door with the retaining latch, would not fit. I had to enlarge and straighten the hole to accommodate the barrel. That completed I found that the plate on the barrel would not fit flush with the edge of the door. F#@k! Why is this being so difficult? 30 minutes later and I had carved a new recess for the plate of the barrel to fit snugly against the edge of the door. Great, making progress at last. Time to push the main handle assembly into the hole in the door to complete the job. F#@k! and double f@#k again! The bloody handle assembly will not go into the hole in the door, the diameter of the assembly is bigger than the hole and obviously bigger than the handle mechanism it replaced. And I thought they were all the same size, wrong !!!! Another 30 to 45 minutes to enlarge the hole, not an easy task with the tools at my disposal. Finally found my electric jigsaw was the best tool for the job, even if the edges of the hole are a little ragged. Sanded the edges smooth with a circular sanding disk on my drill. Fitted the handle assembly and closed the door. Needs a little adjustment but basically finished. Sod's Law at its best.

The following day I returned to the scene of my frustrations from the day before. Five minutes should see this door fixed. Three hours later and I am still playing with it. If I lock the knob on one side I cannot lock the knob on the other side of the door. Reverse the procedure and lock the knob on the other side first. Nope, same thing happens. That side locks but the other side does not. WTF? By now all the playing around had loosened the mechanism and suddenly, boom! One D.I.Y lock assembly that needs putting back together. The air was, by now getting a little blue with a few well chosen expletives. I removed the lock from the mancave and fitted it to the back door in less than 10 minutes. Works perfectly too. So why did my expensive Solex take so long and then finally failed? Must be gremlins in the works, as I confirmed again today. Yesterday I bought a new lock assy for the mancave, one with a 20 year guarantee, and went about fitting it this morning. Would you believe it, the diameter of the barrel of the lock is bigger than the hole in the door. No way does the replacement lock want to fit in that door. And that hole has been there since day one when we bought the house 7 years ago. Okay, take the original mancave lock out of the back door and replace in the door to the mancave . Put the new 20 year guarantee lock assy in the back door, which if you remember now has a slightly enlarged hole. I switched both locks in under 10 minutes and both are working well. So why did the Solex take 5 hours and result in failure? I guess I will never know.

Oh! If anyone wants a slightly used Solex external door lock assy, complete with keys, I have one that's free to a good home...................

20190205_080804.jpg

That is
When you say "barrel unions" are you talking of these:

View attachment 26398

I have one on the inlet to the tank and both sides of the pump. I think they came from IQ Moderntrade.
Thats what they call a compression coupling. The barrel union is a 2 piece PVC fitting with an O ring inside. Readily available in Thai Watsudu and other big hardware shops.

That is

Thats what they call a compression coupling. The barrel union is a 2 piece PVC fitting with an O ring inside. Readily available in Thai Watsudu and other big hardware shops.
That is

But are they good for big water pumps that generate a lot of pressure?

I have used them on main lines for 5hp centrifugal pumps and used them when replacing corroded delivery galvanized delivery pipes in 100ft wells. This is when changing out pumps originally on galvanized and replacing with PVC. So basically the answer would be yes. I have one on the mainline for a 40mm pipe from the pond fountain and that is a 2hp. That is here in Thailand using a Thai Watsudu one. Just to add that when you use them it is best to have the butt ends of your 2pipes as close together as possible. Pull the pipes apart and slide coupling on then slide back to cover the joint. Ensure the threads of the coupling are clean of any sand or dirt or it makes it hard to do up properly. Use a pipe wrench to do up but careful not to go too hard or you will split the thread female end of the coupling. But being free of dirt in the thread is a must.

Last edited:
I was looking for a place to put this gripe. Sods Law sounds about right. Well my yard is dry enough to pump water from my dam on to it so out comes my small agri pump. To no avail did my pump prime. In the end I pulled out the pipe to find the spring in the foot valve rusted away. Stainless steel spring would be nice but, well no. I will pull the damned thing out next wet. Well off to the hardware store. I could not find my self what I was looking for so I asked the young man. As I had no idea of the specific name in Thai I asked for a valve the goes on the end of a pipe to pump water. Hmm says the young man and showed me a bloody tap. This time more elaboration " Valve for stopping the water running back when attached to a pump:" Hmm says the young man and actually showed me what I wanted. Phew! So I put my glasses on and read the sign to see what it is bloody called.
หัวกะโหลก It means "head skull" !!! I was stunned into silence WTF! There is a reason they call it a "FOOT" valve in English. I mean for #$%%^^% Sake!

So of too Makro to buy Coke No sugar or My mee naam taan or forking Coke Zero. Every time you ask with one of those terms you get corrected with one of the other two you did not use that time. Coke wanted to avoid confusion. Fork that all they did was make it worse.

Bottom line is if you want Coke no sugar pick randomly one of the three. If you want a foot valve ask for Hua Ga loke.

Back