Stop drinking... Thai style

isanbirder

Surin Dinosaur
One of the guys in our village was told by his doctor to stop drinking, or it would kill him. So he went to the village temple, and got them to put a curse on him (sorry, a spell) to stop him drinking. (I don't know whether he's allowed a sip, or whether he has to stop completely; this matters for the curse, I suppose).

The temple wins both ways; it takes a fee for the curse, and if he starts drinking again, it gets the fees for the funeral. I suppose the only thing the curse really does is to frighten him, that is, he has paid a fee to be frightened. If, of course, he started drinking again, and didn't die, I don't think he would complain to the temple.

I suppose this would work with smoking too!

Told the wife to go to the Temple and see the Monks about her Gambling problem.She said " Most gamble more than her,Drink and smoke too , when their not talking to their girlfriends on their mobile phones, How would they help me :? ".

:Lost1: Is there any good Monks left or are they all on the Take.!!!!!!!

Told the wife to go to the Temple and see the Monks about her Gambling problem.She said " Most gamble more than her,Drink and smoke too , when their not talking to their girlfriends on their mobile phones, How would they help me :? ".

:Lost1: Is there any good Monks left or are they all on the Take.!!!!!!!

6 monks in Tra Piang Tia got thrown out of there the other day for drinking a crate of Lao Khao every night, Leks brother's a monk there and he was the one that grassed them all up to the Poo Yai Baan, the locals have known for a while supposedly but were too shy to say anything. The abbot was one of the monks that was de-robed and threatened to cut leks brothers throat If he ever saw him again....
Deary me, whats happening to our world? Hardly the stuff of enlightenment eh? greetings

6 monks in Tra Piang Tia got thrown out of there the other day for drinking a crate of Lao Khao every night, Leks brother's a monk there and he was the one that grassed them all up to the Poo Yai Baan, the locals have known for a while supposedly but were too shy to say anything. The abbot was one of the monks that was de-robed and threatened to cut leks brothers throat If he ever saw him again....
Deary me, whats happening to our world? Hardly the stuff of enlightenment eh? greetings

There are lots of good monks about, but plenty of bad ones. Buddhists don't seem to have any selection process; they just take anyone. Still, the Catholic Church is very strict about weeding out unsuitable people before ordination, and yet they get all these pedophile priests... so who am I to blame the Buddhists?

Most monks are only there doing their "community family service". Usally only for 2-4 months,the temples have their recruiting drives every few months,bring in the fresh blood and the old blood goes back to there lives back home . So its no surprise that the guy keeps chatting up his girlfriends and parties it up,he knows he is only in for a "short time".:Busted:

Most monks are only there doing their "community family service". Usally only for 2-4 months,the temples have their recruiting drives every few months,bring in the fresh blood and the old blood goes back to there lives back home . So its no surprise that the guy keeps chatting up his girlfriends and parties it up,he knows he is only in for a "short time".:Busted:

Many, not most. But I think both the stories posted above were referring to 'permanent' monks; Lukey's certainly was if the abbot was involved. And it was the 'permanent' monks I was thinking of when I said there was no attempt at a selection process.

I just wonder if they chose a selective Buddhism learning process too.
The bits about getting money out of the population, but then again, I am a born Sceptical Atheist???

Many, not most. But I think both the stories posted above were referring to 'permanent' monks; Lukey's certainly was if the abbot was involved. And it was the 'permanent' monks I was thinking of when I said there was no attempt at a selection process.

Ploys Uncle was a wife beater,gambler ,crook and all round nasty guy.He even tried to kill Ploys Mum ( so maybe not all bad :) ) .Anyway he ended up in prison for 5 years.When he got out his wife had a new husband and know-body wanted to know him, so what did he do,yes he became a monk.
No he hadn't seen the light,it was an easy option for him.Now he still gambles ,drinks and stays at the local temple from time to time.Now when he is in the village all the family gives him free cigarettes and drinks and sits at his feet.
Just shows you how putting an orange robe on can change your life....:G

Ploys Uncle was a wife beater,gambler ,crook and all round nasty guy.He even tried to kill Ploys Mum ( so maybe not all bad :) ) .Anyway he ended up in prison for 5 years.When he got out his wife had a new husband and know-body wanted to know him, so what did he do,yes he became a monk.
No he hadn't seen the light,it was an easy option for him.Now he still gambles ,drinks and stays at the local temple from time to time.Now when he is in the village all the family gives him free cigarettes and drinks and sits at his feet.
Just shows you how putting an orange robe on can change your life....:G

Definately Alan.. Some of them do it for the easy life, no question about it.

Back