Surin Boy bitten to death while asleep by a snake

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Boy bitten to death while asleep by a snake
in General | September 2, 2014 (335 views)
Test
A six-year old boy was bitten to death by a poisonous snake which was suspected to have escaped floodwaters to seek warm and dry refuge in his bed without his knowledge.
The incident took place in house No 166, village 5 of Ban Prathatbu, Tambon Nadee of Surin’s Muang district today.

The mother of the boy, Mrs Sookjai Kaewsook, told reporters that her parents put her boy to bed at about 7 pm. Monday night. At about 9 pm, the boy coughed violently and complained of severe stomach-ache, so they carried him from the bed for a body scrub with a towel soaked in water only to find to their shock a two-feet long black and white snake on the bed.

The couple then beat the snake which was later identified as Thap Samingkla, a poisonous snake to death before they rushed the boy to Surin provincial hospital where a doctor and nurses tried desperately to save his life. He was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Villagers said the Thap Samingkla snakes were common in the rice fields in the Northeast, southern and eastern regions and they usually crawled into houses to escape flood waters to seek refuge.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/boy-bitten-death-asleep-snake/

Westie , as devastating as this story...

What a terrible terrible story.

...is to a family that has lost a child - it does serve as a warning (a 'heads up') that these venomous snakes do lurk in our neighborhoods and seek out dry shelter during torrential rains.
Better to be prepared and vigilant.

The picture does tell the tale of what is around one's home.
Black scorpions and snakes abound, though not all snakes are harmful to humans.

Also as IB can assuredly attest same as I...watch yourself while walking in or on the higher trails located near rice paddies.

I walk through the rice paddies daily. This morning many of the paths were flooded.

I rarely see snakes, though. Most of them hear you coming, and lie low, or move off. Occasionally one of my dogs sees one; this elicits a bark... but the dog has the sense not to attack it.

You're actually much more at risk from a snake which gets into the house. The snake is out of its element, and readier to attack. That said, there are not many poisonous snakes in Thailand (though several of the worst are also the commonest).

...is to a family that has lost a child - it does serve as a warning (a 'heads up') that these venomous snakes do lurk in our neighborhoods and seek out dry shelter during torrential rains.

Also as IB can assuredly attest same as I...watch yourself while walking in or on the higher trails located near rice paddies.

And that's why i sent a a big thank you to post #2.

I have seen cobras on my property. There's also a King that's made it's home here as well. The gardener's seen it and I saw it the other day taking a bath under a sprinkler. If you remember Cookie from the forum ..he told me he'd seen it about 6 years ago when he was working in the factory. It goes to show, if you leave them alone, they'll do the same.
On the other hand, I have about 15 cats on the 7 rai here and often see small cobras mutilated and the odd cat getting a bit too clever and succumb to a bite. I've created a perfect habitat it appears with plenty of water and flora for them to live.
My property is in Nadee where the young boy was bitten, but I've seen only a couple of Kraits over the years.

ede4ynyg.jpg

Was it this snake as the link had many ?????

No, Alan, it was the Malayan Krait.... much smaller head, and the stripes broader and more clearly defined.

R.I.P. to the young boy and condolences to his family. It's the cobras in the toilets that give me the "ebie-gibies". I often wonder if I should put on the bathroom light when I need to go for a 'leak' during the middle of the night. No. Best not knowing what may be lurking down there!

View attachment 9457

Earlier this year we had a visit from a 3 meter + long rat snake (I think). It was the two Labs barking furiously that alerted me to this visitor. I know it was longer than 3 meters as you could accurately measure its length from the known distance between the uprights supporting the garden wall. As it made its way along the wall you could see that its head and tail stretched further than the uprights. It was quite beautiful to watch how it moved and, fortunately, it left through the front gate the same way it had entered. I followed it, at a safe distance I might add, until it reached the track leading into the field. Lovely and very wonderful to watch!

pencil.png

Last edited:
No, Alan, it was the Malayan Krait.... much smaller head, and the stripes broader and more clearly defined.

They can also be orange and black, as well as the white and black species that killed this poor soul.

I have found one in the 10 years that I have been coming to Thailand and it was at the end of my (current) road. I accidentally run over it with my truck then got out to check what it was. A fearsome animal, so I am told!!!!!!!!

They can also be orange and black, as well as the white and black species that killed this poor soul.

I have found one in the 10 years that I have been coming to Thailand and it was at the end of my (current) road. I accidentally run over it with my truck then got out to check what it was. A fearsome animal, so I am told!!!!!!!!

The Banded Krait is yellow/orange and black. I've only seen one.... crossing Sathorn Road in Bangkok on my first visit to Thailand in 1957.

Snakes.

A very tragic end to a young life.
As a parent of two young girls, my heart goes out to the family.
As it is the dry season in the territory, the weather at night sometimes drops to between 6-10 degrees.
Three weekends ago, we were having a small open fire in the back yard and 6 of the neighbourhood kids came over for a marshmellow roast.
In total, there were 8 kids toasting marshmellows and running around on the grass barefoot.
I went upstairs to get another beer when, my 7 yo daughter ran up the stairs and told me there was a snake about a meter from the fire pit.
I then grabbed a laser torch and my " Snake whip " from the downstairs laundry.
I spotted the intruder and proceeded to " Massage " it with the whip.
After several blows with the whip, i picked the writhing beast up and dropped it in the fire.
Far too close for comfort as, it was a Northern death adder, the third deadliest snake in Australia.
By the way, a snake whip is a solid, tapered, 2 meter polypropaline shaft with a 3mm stainless steel braided cable vulcanised into the tip.
A normal sweeping blow accelarates the cable to over 400 MPH, perfect for despatching uninvited visitors.

Feret, I've never seen...

...a snake whip in action prior.
An Australian Death Adder can strike and deliver its dangerous venom going back to strike position in less than one second.

Aren't you supposed to throw your outback 'bowie' knife cutting the snakes head in two from 10 metres like Paul 'Dundee' Hogan or obliterating the top-half of the snake with an exacting shot fired from 5 metres utilizing a Magnum .357 like Clint 'Callahan' Eastward dispelling any further fears and righteous high fives from your mates around the fire pit ? MonkeyFight

I quite forgot as you were on the piss and children were all around.
Good choice using the snake whip in retrospect ! ThumbUp6

Out of curiosity, Feret - VB, XXXX Bitter, TEDs or NT Draught out of a 'Darwin Stubby'...what brand of piss were you drinking ? Chokdee5

In real Northern Ozzie spirit - is that how the boys extinguished the fire at night's end ? :smile: 'Good on ya, mate."

...a snake whip in action prior.
An Australian Death Adder can strike and deliver its dangerous venom going back to strike position in less than one second.

Aren't you supposed to throw your outback 'bowie' knife cutting the snakes head in two from 10 metres like Paul 'Dundee' Hogan or obliterating the top-half of the snake with an exacting shot fired from 5 metres utilizing a Magnum .357 like Clint 'Callahan' Eastward dispelling any further fears and righteous high fives from your mates around the fire pit ? MonkeyFight

I quite forgot as you were on the piss and children were all around.
Good choice using the snake whip in retrospect ! ThumbUp6

Out of curiosity, Feret - VB, XXXX Bitter, TEDs or NT Draught out of a 'Darwin Stubby'...what brand of piss were you drinking ? Chokdee5

In real Northern Ozzie spirit - is that how the boys extinguished the fire at night's end ? :smile: 'Good on ya, mate."

No, no, no Cafe!...the piss we have consumed puts out the fireThink1

When I click the link this lot comes up
razy2uvu.jpg

I've been looking through these and lots of snake pictures come up !
What snake is the one ????

Back