Surin Motor Show @ Robinson

I have never understood the fascination of so many people to pick-ups. They have their place, but for folk such as Nomad, living in a city centre with wife and kids, surely a nice car would be preferable.

I bought a Mazda pick-up when I first came here, because in those days there was no tax payable and money was tight. That changed shortly after and I have always had a saloon car since. Very rarely would a pick up have been useful for carrying goods. At least with a saloon car, you don't have to cart all the inlaws around sitting in the rear making a filthy mess with their betel nuts!

For me, the hi-ride pickup truck is so much more comfortable and versatile than a salon car for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is easy to climb aboard and dismount, a big factor for someone over 6 feet tall and suffering from arthritis. I far rather prefer the driver's position in a hi-ride pickup than a saloon car. I have tried getting into a number of saloon cars and find it quite difficult. More to the point, getting out after even a short drive is even more so. Secondly, I do think the all-round vision from the driver's seat is infinitely better than the same view from a small saloon car. Finally, as @rob.doc has already mentioned, it's a great vehicle for clearing rubbish from the house, especially garden rubbish after pruning a number of trees. Stuffing all those leave and branches in a saloon car would never be possible. Our second car, driven by my wife, is a 2020 Nissan Note, and that suits her just fine driving around town. However, I still prefer my old 2009 Ford Ranger. :D:D:D

P.S. And, any particularly smelly goods do not have to carried in the cab. They can be, and are, consigned to the flat-bed behind and outside the cab.

Interesting responses.

In my village we have twice weekly rubbish collection, whilst I contribute to global warming by burning grass cuttings, leaves and other garden refuse

If the wife wants a durian, or stinky fish, she will go into town with a friend to buy it. I just have to watch where it goes once back home.

I am pretty sure it is a Ford Ranger and not a Raptor for the following reasons. Firstly, the Ranger has tie-down bars on the roof, whereas the Raptor does not. Similarly, on the side panel near the front door, the engine size is shown as 2.2, whereas the Raptor does not have a similar sign. The model has been enhanced with a black cowling stuck on the bonnet that is only fitted for looks with no functionality. Also, the front FORD grill, tyres, and wheel hubs look similar to the Raptor and are add-ons too. In the grand order of things, I doubt that this would have added much to the cost. The closest matches from the authorised price list are as follows:

View attachment 36486

These are very similar to the prices quoted by @Bandersnatch ................. ฿840,000 manual, ฿880,000 auto (includes all accessories).

If the prices quoted by @Bandersnatch are correct, it sure seems an impressive looking car. At those prices, I would consider trading in my 11-year-old Ford Ranger Wildtrak for a new Ranger like the one shown.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/buying/price-list/

P.S. While the Black edition looks impressive, I do not think I would want one. With all the dust that abounds in Surin, the car would need cleaning every day and even the slightest scratches will show. White is a far more user friendly colour and looks cleaner far longer.

The Ford Wildtrak 2.2 Turbo automatic (10-speed sport-shift) full-leather interior etc was THB 1,040,000 delivered Surin November 2019.

An almost 20% discount seems a fantastic deal well understanding that the global economy is in the shits.

The Ford Wildtrak 2.2 Turbo automatic (10-speed sport-shift) full-leather interior etc was THB 1,040,000 delivered Surin November 2019.

An almost 20% discount seems a fantastic deal well understanding that the global economy is in the shits.

You can relax @Coffee, the car @Bandersnatch posted is not the one that you bought last year. It is not the dual-turbo, 10-speed auto but, as I have suspected, it is the 2.2L XLT with a 6-speed manual or 6-speed auto gearbox.

I visited the Car Show this morning and talked to the girl at the Ford display. She confirmed it was the 2.2L XLT with a few addons. I sat inside the car and was very impressed with the layout and display. This model also has cruise control. Yes, if I am in the market for a replacement for my aging Wildtrak, this model would suit me nicely, preferably without the bonnet cowling.

Last edited:
฿840, 000 manual ฿880, 000 auto includes all accessories

G4Hxj86.jpg

UheDmfN.jpg

@nomad97
I surmise the Wildtrak production line at Rayong is backing up.

I can attest the 10-speed Turbo is a gem.

I try to stay under 140 on the BKK-Pattaya toll road where the 120 kmh limit is posted.
I have never utilized cruise control on a Thai highway.

Back