Surin number 1 in road kill @ 16

Forgive me if I'm stupid but doesn't the yearly average deaths from road accidents in Thailand amount to 72 per day?

Those figures indicate 52 deaths per day during Songkhran.

Not that I believe any of it anyway.

You will never get the true picture.

The road deaths in Thailand in the year 2010 were reported as being 26,212. Divide that by 365 days results in c. 71.81 per day. The deaths over the 7 day period during Songkhran this year are reported at 364. Divide that by 7 and the result is c. 52.

Am I missing something?

You will never get the true picture.

The road deaths in Thailand in the year 2010 were reported as being 26,212. Divide that by 365 days results in c. 71.81 per day. The deaths over the 7 day period during Songkhran this year are reported at 364. Divide that by 7 and the result is c. 52.

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

LSD ...it's under your sofa.

It's fairly obvious that the reported Seven Deadly Days figures are incomplete, being the results of an imperfect reporting system.

GL and I and others on this forum have known this for years....

SO WHY ON EARTH DO YOU MAKE SUCH A FUSS ABOUT THEM?

Am I to gather that both GL, you (and myself) and many others know that the figures are a load of bollocks?

So why are they being posted as "fact"?

Am I to gather that both GL, you (and myself) and many others know that the figures are a load of bollocks?

I wasn't shouting at you, Yorky. I think I was shouting out of general frustration; the whole shebang should have passed unremarked, in this forum at least.

The figures are true. 364 people were killed on the roads.... but not only 364. The impact is intended to be immediate; posting the figures a month late wouldn't have the same punch.

Well, no one is going to report that the road deaths during Songkhran are almost 40% less than the normal daily average, are they?

No sensationalism (and sales) in that is there.?

Because Der Furer and Thainess dictates it.

[YT]watch?v=51KTxfu4XJo[/YT]

Well, no one is going to report that the road deaths during Songkhran are almost 40% less than the normal daily average, are they?

No sensationalism (and sales) in that is there.?

Clearly the figures are meant to frighten people into better road behaviour (some hopes!).

Supposing I'm right, and these are only interim figures, they may have more impact if not hedged in with a "we'll give you more accurate figures later" tag.

I'm not really defending them, Yorky; just trying to see what is really happening here.

I've been told (probably on this forum) that the reported deaths are bodies recovered roadside and does not include deaths in hospital at some later time.

Back