Surin province as model for road safety

nomad97

Resident Geek
Deputy premier praises Surin province as model for road safety

SURIN, 8 July 2016 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Narong Pipatanasai praised Surin Road Safety Directing Center as a model for road safety.

The deputy premier visited the northeastern province of Surin as chairman of Thai Health Promotion Foundation to inspect its performance in road accident prevention.

He said that Surin province has concretely succeeded in tackling road accidents by establishing Surin Road Safety Directing Center and implementing action plans on road safety at provincial, district and community levels.

Surin could be a model for road safety for all other provinces throughout Thailand which has had the second-highest road fatality rate in the world, the deputy premier said.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic... thaivisa24 (today#39;s best thaivisa topics)

Deputy Prime Minister Narong Pipatanasai praised Surin Road Safety Directing Center as a model for road safety.

Now read the quote carefully, he said "The Directing centre was a good model". Not the roads of Surin province. That benefits from the centre.
It is political spin doctoring at its best.

Surin is worse than Buriram for driving standards. At least in Buriram you do not have triple parking on major roads, which is very prevalent in Surin. There is so much money to be made by the police if they would just get off their arses and collect hefty fines from all the wrong-doers,

Surin is worse than Buriram for driving standards. At least in Buriram you do not have triple parking on major roads, which is very prevalent in Surin. There is so much money to be made by the police if they would just get off their arses and collect hefty fines from all the wrong-doers,
Agree. I think they should ban having televisions at road blocks too. What's that all about?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now read the quote carefully, he said "The Directing centre was a good model". Not the roads of Surin province. That benefits from the centre.
It is political spin doctoring at its best.
Ok, we didn't notice the exact wording and jumped to conclusions. Now then, what is the Surin Road Safety Directing Center ? What does it do and where is it?

Promoting the concept of it being an unhealthy practice for motorcy morons to turn right at junctions from the left nearside of vehicles going straight ahead would be a good start. Idiots!!!

Most, I have noticed, don''t just cut across, but keep to the left, indicator flashing to turn right (probably the only time they ever use them) and wait for a clear road. Unfortunately for those going straight on, we do not know whether they will wait or just turn right in front of us. Driving instruction/highway code, clearly states that motorists wanting to turn right (this includes motorcycles) should indicate their intention and then take up correct positioning in the centre of the road, enabling them to make a 90 degree turn when there is no oncoming traffic

Motorcycles rarely do that, whilst cars frequently take up position near the centre of the road, THEN indicate their intention to turn right, and finally stop well short of the junction, which they eventually turn into at a 30degree angle, cutting the corner..

BAN them all!.

I rarely see native motorist indicate their 'intention' to turn.
I see people using their turn signals at the same time as actually turning therefore giving ZERO warning to others.
Parked cars rarely indicate when pulling out into the road. We were nearly knocked off our scooter last night by that same maneuver.

Maybe, Nick, but on many Buriram roads the surface is so appalling that vehicles have to go slowly. Roads fit for one or two tonne vehicles are pounded by earth-moving trucks day after day, and nobody says them nay. When the roads are 'repaired', it is only a month or two before they're in as bad condition as they were before.

Ok, we didn't notice the exact wording and jumped to conclusions. Now then, what is the Surin Road Safety Directing Center ? What does it do and where is it?

On the 2nd January 2003 cabinet approval to establish a single and unified central body for a road safety management system . It was established under the department of Transport. It was called "The Road Safety Directing Center" and was established in each Changwat to improve road safety and education also to standardise road signs and the roads themselves to an international standard. The body consists of Ministry of Interior,Transport, Justice, Public Health, Education, Royal Thai Police, Government Agencies and the Private sector such as NGOs.

You all learned now ! It was all on a pamphlet in the Land Transport Dept. I was bored.

Serious question (for a change). Do they have Cycling proficiency tests or/& lessons in schools about road safety and the Highway Code???

Serious question (for a change). Do they have Cycling proficiency tests or/& lessons in schools about road safety and the Highway Code???

The land Transport Department run some school classes on simulated roads on Bicycles for children. I have seen this at the Head office in Chatuchak. I doubt they test them though. As for in schools, I also doubt that as well. Not a bad suggestion for The Road Safety Directing Center.

Most, I have noticed, don''t just cut across, but keep to the left, indicator flashing to turn right (probably the only time they ever use them) and wait for a clear road.

Slide4.JPG

Back