SURIN Residents surrender firearms to officials as deadline approaches.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Residents surrender firearms to officials as deadline approaches

SURIN, 26 June 2014, (NNT) - Several locals in Surin surrendered their firearms to officials yesterday, the deadline set by authorities for people to turn in their weapons without being charged with possession of illegal firearms.

More than a hundred items were handed to officials at Weerawatyothin Military Camp yesterday, including handguns, grenades, rifles and shotguns. The handover was witnessed by Major General Nirut Ketsiri and Governor Nirun Kanlayanamit.

Meanwhile, officials raided a residence in Nakhonratchasima and found several M16 Automatic Rifles, HK33 handguns, AK47 Rifles, Carbine handguns, M79 Grenade launchers, and other handguns as well as rounds of ammunition. The owner of the weapons, Noppadon Petchmadan, a retired conscript was arrested at the scene.

The arrest was made after the officials had learned about Mr. Noppadon’s mini armory from inquiries of suspects of the 'Khon Kean Model' arms trafficking network, who claimed that Mr. Noppadon was linked to Lopburi arms dealers in the Northern Region.

The retired conscript initially denied his involvement with the ‘Khon Kean Model’ but admitted having bought the weapons from various sources including military and police officers.

In Nontaburi, residents reportedly found about 10 rifles, handguns and shotguns abandoned in Soi Bangplub 8 in Pakkred District.

-- NNT 2014-06-26

Went into town today at lunch and there is army patrolling all over Surin. Must have to do with the firearms surrender.

not seeing olive drab boots at stores near you

Went into town today at lunch and there is army patrolling all over Surin. Must have to do with the firearms surrender.

Joe, I believe the appearance of soldiers makes one think of safety against something untoward.
Placing a few khakis in busy areas (train station, bus depot, major thoroughfare) provides a belief in 'security'.

I'm sure the General has ordered personnel to be seen ("get your asses out of barracks") under his leadership.

Note: at no time have I witnessed soldiers or police at any night-time entertainment venues since the lifting of curfew earlier this month.

Likewise I thought to myself it's funny as the Robinson Centre management wouldn't allow any khakis on their site to mess the mindset of the high-end shopping experience. Think1

Joe, I believe the appearance of soldiers makes one think of safety against something untoward.
Placing a few khakis in busy areas (train station, bus depot, major thoroughfare) provides a belief in 'security'.

I'm sure the General has ordered personnel to be seen ("get your asses out of barracks") under his leadership.

Note: at no time have I witnessed soldiers or police at any night-time entertainment venues since the lifting of curfew earlier this month.

Likewise I thought to myself it's funny as the Robinson Centre management wouldn't allow any khakis on their site to mess the mindset of the high-end shopping experience. Think1

Saw one young boy in military cammies today in the bus depot. It did not make me feel safer.

I have seen the few at the train station, government bldg. Etc. But the other day they were out in force driving around on motorcycles carrying fully automatic weapons. I probably saw 20 or 30 at least on one trip into town. Not the norm.

Assuredly not the norm

I have seen the few at the train station, government bldg. Etc. But the other day they were out in force driving around on motorcycles carrying fully automatic weapons. I probably saw 20 or 30 at least on one trip into town. Not the norm.

Of course in a city with a reported 50,000 citizens you're stating that thirty khakis on the street would be very noticeable.
Golly my friend , do you really think they were on duty out in force on motorcycles ?

I guess where I was raised in NYC (a fairly large metropolitan city) if I witnessed a cluster of five on active duty (providing security other than military detail) it would have been deemed remarkable ; therefore , thirty in Surin might be deemed an outstanding occurence.

Again , 24:00 - 05:00 Monday 30 June not a friggin' khaki to be seen in the 'entertainment district'...nor a badge Oops5

I wanted to report an impaired driver but could not locate a person with official, legal authority or jurisdiction.
I can only pray that the individual did not take any life / lives other than their own.

ooops Cent, I forgot...

Saw one young boy in military cammies today in the bus depot. It did not make me feel safer.

... you're a farang. Think1

It might make the citizens of Surin or their psychological mindset feel somewhat safer... //flag
or at least might interrupt someone from doing anything totally ridiculous by causing a problem or disturbance.

Back