Thai rice farmer lose on avg 2000 baht per rai

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title

Despite government subsidies, Thai farmers are the poorest in Asia and Asean, with average losses of 2,000 baht per rai and higher debts over the last 10 years....

A good read and a strong argument against buying farmland in Thailand at present.

Despite government subsidies, Thai farmers are the poorest in Asia and Asean, with average losses of 2,000 baht per rai and higher debts over the last 10 years....

A good read and a strong argument against buying farmland in Thailand at present.

That's about what I lost the first year. The second year I rented out and made a return of about ฿500.00/rai. I let the renter make the loss. Year 2000/2001.

I gave up after that.

If @Rice would join in this discussion, he could share some real interesting facts on this subject.

Where Robinson sits was farmland previous...as were many residential estates prior to development.
(Rice farming apparently is the issue.)

Nothing wrong with owning/ holding land...always location, location, location.

If @Rice would join in this discussion, he could share some real interesting facts on this subject.
Just come late to the party. I can assure you the figures quoted in the article are spot on. I kept detailed notes on what was spent on what and subsidies received. I did this for two years. Each year I came in with a zero sum. If not for the subsidies you incur huge losses. 450 kg average across Thailand yield sounds right. I can tell you across Sikhor the yield is a pathetic 350 to 380 at best. Rice research in Thailand is truly pathetic as mentioned in the article. The two major rice strains grown in Thailand is 105 and RD 15 these strains go back to 1958. there has been no new strains grown since. But this is only part of the problem. The true problem is the rotting by the rice wholesalers. rorting at every step and all the way to the government who handles "ALL" rice sales from Thailand. The law states that the Thai people are too immature to be permitted to indulge in free trade. I had my jaw drop open when I read that. Its in the law. So for instance If I wanted to grow a special variety to value add and sell overseas. You cannot. I few years back a bill was drafted to remove all rights from farmers to what strains they could grow on their own paddy. If anybody thinks Thai farmers are stupid. Think again. The mp's lives were threatened and the bill was quietly binned. One of my most favorite things is sitting around at the rice buying yard talking to other farmers. These guys are jaded to the n th degree and are not stupid. They know what is going on and are powerless to stop it. I have made mention before, This issue is going to be the ruin of Thailand. Already year after year farmers are not selling their crops and growing for their own consumption. Thailand went for number one too number 2 from Vietnam now at number 3 from India in production. The lack of making any profit at all from rice growing is exacerbating the flight from the land by the young. Its a downward spiral. We need a future forward and this is being held back by the same people that are pulling the country in an ever increasing downward spiral.

Where Robinson sits was farmland previous...as were many residential estates prior to development.
(Rice farming apparently is the issue.)

Nothing wrong with owning/ holding land...always location, location, location.
Pat's family still grow Thai hom mali, only for consumption though.

Just come late to the party. I can assure you the figures quoted in the article are spot on. I kept detailed notes on what was spent on what and subsidies received. I did this for two years. Each year I came in with a zero sum. If not for the subsidies you incur huge losses. 450 kg average across Thailand yield sounds right. I can tell you across Sikhor the yield is a pathetic 350 to 380 at best. Rice research in Thailand is truly pathetic as mentioned in the article. The two major rice strains grown in Thailand is 105 and RD 15 these strains go back to 1958. there has been no new strains grown since. But this is only part of the problem. The true problem is the rotting by the rice wholesalers. rorting at every step and all the way to the government who handles "ALL" rice sales from Thailand. The law states that the Thai people are too immature to be permitted to indulge in free trade. I had my jaw drop open when I read that. Its in the law. So for instance If I wanted to grow a special variety to value add and sell overseas. You cannot. I few years back a bill was drafted to remove all rights from farmers to what strains they could grow on their own paddy. If anybody thinks Thai farmers are stupid. Think again. The mp's lives were threatened and the bill was quietly binned. One of my most favorite things is sitting around at the rice buying yard talking to other farmers. These guys are jaded to the n th degree and are not stupid. They know what is going on and are powerless to stop it. I have made mention before, This issue is going to be the ruin of Thailand. Already year after year farmers are not selling their crops and growing for their own consumption. Thailand went for number one too number 2 from Vietnam now at number 3 from India in production. The lack of making any profit at all from rice growing is exacerbating the flight from the land by the young. Its a downward spiral. We need a future forward and this is being held back by the same people that are pulling the country in an ever increasing downward spiral.
Realistically, you cant blame anyone for not growing it for sale, FFS, back breaking work to get deeper in the red always.
And, your assertian that the farmers/ Thailand will suffer as a result of the rorting is absolutely correct.
The gate/ mill price is little more than a kick in the guts from the fat cats pulling the strings hand in hand with the exporters.
When Pat was running the resturaunt, the price we paid for Thai hom mali from Darwin was expensive but, quality.
I read India has severly slashed its rice exports and with Pootins grain embargo, the staple food supply chain is dwindling.
I know this is a crazy idea but, maybe, just maybe, the powers that be need to scruff the fat cats and demand they give the farmers a decent price.
I told you it was crazy, they are comming to take me away HHAAHHAA--HHEE HEE

Realistically, you cant blame anyone for not growing it for sale, FFS, back breaking work to get deeper in the red always.
And, your assertian that the farmers/ Thailand will suffer as a result of the rorting is absolutely correct.
The gate/ mill price is little more than a kick in the guts from the fat cats pulling the strings hand in hand with the exporters.
When Pat was running the resturaunt, the price we paid for Thai hom mali from Darwin was expensive but, quality.
I read India has severly slashed its rice exports and with Pootins grain embargo, the staple food supply chain is dwindling.
I know this is a crazy idea but, maybe, just maybe, the powers that be need to scruff the fat cats and demand they give the farmers a decent price.
I told you it was crazy, they are comming to take me away HHAAHHAA--HHEE HEE
Not going to happen until real regime change.

Back