Thawing UK Frozen Pensions

All the illegals arriving daily in the UK get all sorts of handourts -do nothing for it, yet complain about everything. Those of us who worked, paid our National Insurance contributions (I paid 44) still get nothing more from the day we retired here in Thailand and many other countries.

What handouts do they get exactly?

A genuine question.

What handouts do they get exactly?

A genuine question.
Just read this in the Express re the Afghan refugees.

families would live rent-free while their applications are processed, with subsidised energy bills, mobile phones and £40 a week spending money for all adults

Meanwhile..........
.2,500 Brit veterans stay homeless

Just read this in the Express re the Afghan refugees.

families would live rent-free while their applications are processed, with subsidised energy bills, mobile phones and £40 a week spending money for all adults

Meanwhile..........
.2,500 Brit veterans stay homeless
I imagine that obligation falls under the Refugee Convention (or whatever covers the internationally agreed rights of refugees).

Reference to veterans is irrelevant and a totally different subject

I don't believe that Albanians (the majority of current trespassers) have the refugee status.

I imagine that obligation falls under the Refugee Convention (or whatever covers the internationally agreed rights of refugees).

Reference to veterans is irrelevant and a totally different subject

I don't believe that Albanians (the majority of current trespassers) have the refugee status.
If there are internationally agreed rights of refugees, I doubt they would travel all the way to the UK, if they didn't get a far more favourable deal in the UK.

The Albanians are basically trespassers, yet they all receive accommodation (not exactly basic in most cases but deluxe) and likely more!

If there are internationally agreed rights of refugees, I doubt they would travel all the way to the UK, if they didn't get a far more favourable deal in the UK.

The Albanians are basically trespassers, yet they all receive accommodation (not exactly basic in most cases but deluxe) and likely more!

So you haven't read reports about Manston migrant centre?

Of course there are internationally agreed rights for refugees - perhaps you should be aware of their existence. Start with the 1951 Refugee Convention and then try something like https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/about/facts-about-refugees/.

The issue is not of refugees rights but the UK's long standing inability to control it's borders. Couple that with the profits from human trafficking and the French unwillingness to keep migrants on their soil, and you have a big problem.

@Prakhonchai Nick . If an expat decided to hold-off from taking his Government pension at the agree earliest age, when he later decided to take his pension, would that be frozen at his agreed pension age or at the later date that he decided to draw-down his pension (at age 70, for instance)?

A UK state pension is only 'frozen' (once DWP has been advised of your Thailand domicile) from an annual increase point of view. So, if you haven't claimed, you haven't declared non-residency so it doesn't happen until you have claimed.

@Prakhonchai Nick has previously posted information on deferring the state pension and it is surprising how many years you have to live just to break-even on those lost (deferred) payments.

A UK state pension is only 'frozen' (once DWP has been advised of your Thailand domicile) from an annual increase point of view. So, if you haven't claimed, you haven't declared non-residency so it doesn't happen until you have claimed.

@Prakhonchai Nick has previously posted information on deferring the state pension and it is surprising how many years you have to live just to break-even on those lost (deferred) payments.

Back in 2014 I did a rough calculation. Although my pension at that time (and still is) £116.00/week, I'll use £100.00/week to make it easier.

Deferring by one year - first year = nothing
Second year = £100.00 plus 10% = £110.00 x 52 = £5,720.00 and the same for each subsequent year so in 9 years after retirement I would have received £51,480.00.

Should I have taken the £100.00/week for the full ten years I would have received £100.00 x 52 x 10 = £52,000.00.

I reckoned that I would not break even until the 12th year and I would then begin to benefit.

Obviously the calculation does not consider any increases to the pension which may have occurred during the first year, but there wasn't any.

[Edit: I didn't do the calculation for deferring the pension for two years because I didn't know whether the 10% increase was applied to the £100.00 original pension or the £110.00 increased pension; but whatever, there would be minimal difference].

Last edited:
With the current state pension age 67 or 68 and one needing some 12 years to break even, there are many who never make 80 years of age who would lose out.

In earlier years they would pay the deferred pension amount in a lump sum (Obtained well over 1,000,000 baht for a friend who had to be convinced to stop his deferral as he believed he would have tax complications). He didn't. Neither did he make 80!

With the current state pension age 67 or 68 and one needing some 12 years to break even, there are many who never make 80 years of age who would lose out.

When I was granted early retirement from McAlpines I was offered the choice of a "standard" yearly pension or a reduced pension and a lump sum. I could not, of course, factor in cost of living increases, but I would have to live until I was 84 if I took the "standard" yearly pension in order to break even. At that time (50 years old) I couldn't see me making it to 74, never mind 84.

I was 74 last year.

Back