The Food Court At Robinsons

Little India

Forum Sponsor
What are your thoughts, comments & general observations about the food court at Robinsons?

I have tried the food court upstairs & I can highly recommend it for value & taste also the seating arrangement is very comfortable & modern.

The Pork Bone Noodle Tom Yam soup (40 baht) was excellent
& definitely worth a try

The Pad Krapow Moo
(I had to ask for pieces of pork instead of mince) (40baht) was very tasty
& definitely worth a try it was much tastier/larger portion than those on offer at the other food courts i.e. Tesco & Big C & also better than most Thai kitchens around Surin town

Beef Steak with Black Pepper Sauce & french fries (70 baht) was OK I found it a little chewy with only 4 french fries but my daughter really liked it, again
much tastier/larger portion than those on offer at the other food courts i.e. Tesco & Big C

Pork Steak with Rice & Spicy Chilli Sauce (50 baht) this was really good & very tasty & definitely worth a try, the chilli sauce has a nice kick to it.

The only negative I can really point out about the food court is the menu in most of the small outlets is only written in Thai.

Last edited:
Little India, I gave up eating in food courts a few years back after one particularly bad dish of 'cow pat moo' (fried rice with pork). It was so bad that it was completely devoid of flavour and vegetables and searching for the meat was the same as looking for a needle in a haystack. I think I found one very small piece (of meat) somewhere in the rather large pile of rice. That was the last of many tasteless, MSG sodden meals that I have not had the pleasure of eating in either Big C or Tesco. I have also, by and large, given up eating in any or all of the small eateries around town. The main reason for doing so was the poor quality of the food and the excessive use of MSG to give it taste. In addition, the number of times I have been forced to use the toilet within 24 hours of a meal is too high to be mere coincidence. Many of these places lack basic hygiene in the preparation and handling of the food. It's a shame really because I quite like the tasty Thai food that my wife cooks for me - and we do not have a packet of MSG in the house either.

Your reviews sound interesting although I do not think you have tempted me sufficiently to give it a try. A chewy beef steak with 4 french fries does not rate very high on my enjoyment list. If I am going to have a steak I would prefer one like I cooked for myself last night:

View attachment 8129

Little India, I gave up eating in food courts a few years back after one particularly bad dish of 'cow pat moo' (fried rice with pork). It was so bad that it was completely devoid of flavour and vegetables and searching for the meat was the same as looking for a needle in a haystack. I think I found one very small piece (of meat) somewhere in the rather large pile of rice. That was the last of many tasteless, MSG sodden meals that I have not had the pleasure of eating in either Big C or Tesco. I have also, by and large, given up eating in any or all of the small eateries around town. The main reason for doing so was the poor quality of the food and the excessive use of MSG to give it taste. In addition, the number of times I have been forced to use the toilet within 24 hours of a meal is too high to be mere coincidence. Many of these places lack basic hygiene in the preparation and handling of the food. It's a shame really because I quite like the tasty Thai food that my wife cooks for me - and we do not have a packet of MSG in the house either.

Your reviews sound interesting although I do not think you have tempted me sufficiently to give it a try. A chewy beef steak with 4 french fries does not rate very high on my enjoyment list. If I am going to have a steak I would prefer one like I cooked for myself last night:

View attachment 8129

Thanks nomad. I had put the frequent toilet visits down to the LEO - I may have to reassess. :smile:

I agree about the poor quality of food in many of the foodcourts - although some now manage to serve the food hot!

It is a shame because when you do find a place with well cooked decent products the dishes are very tasty and many 'modern' operators also shun MSG.

The Pork Bone soup is first class & not to be missed, as for the steak with 4 french fries you have to take into consideration it was only 70 baht, the other dish's I have mentioned I would highly recommend, as for the hygiene I would say it all looks very clean?

I think that maybe you are one of the unfortunate ones that has a allergy or intolerance to MSG which gives you a slightly biased opinion about it, I do know that MSG is generally not good for you but neither is salt, oil, sugar etc etc that we all consume daily. All Thai food & Chinese food has MSG in it, they call it the secret ingredient :smile: even if they dont use the white powder form it is in the fish sauce & oyster sauce that is used anyway? I bet you have fish sauce & oyster in your house?

Last edited:
Yes, we have fish and oyster sauce in the house and I know that they contain MSG. I know you will find MSG in a variety of products, especially those that are sold to enhance flavour, including stock cubes. What I am against is what my mother-in-law buys by the metric ton and these are the packets of white powder that she virtually tips in whole to every meal she prepares. And she wonders why she has high blood pressure! I know when I have been 'poisoned' because my throat becomes parched an hour or two after the meal, often accompanied by a nagging headache too. Everything in moderation is fine but excessive use of MSG with every meal is too much.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand[29] (FSANZ) cites "overwhelming evidence from a large number of scientific studies" to explicitly deny any link between MSG and "serious adverse reactions" or "long-lasting effects", declaring MSG "safe for the general population". It does, however, describe that in less than 1% of the population, sensitive individuals may experience "transient" side effects such as "headache, numbness/tingling, flushing, muscle tightness, and generalised weakness" to a large amount of MSG taken in a single meal. People who consider themselves sensitive to MSG are encouraged to confirm this through an appropriate clinical assessment.

These are the same agencies that declare high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oil fit for human consumption also. Don't take their word for it, do your own research. All that shit is terrible for you. If its not whole food, or close to whole food, then its most likely not going to do you much good.
Eat as close to the natural source as possible and you won't go far wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we be drinking coffee?

Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL cholesterol levels. Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee.
Source : Harvard school of public health

The chicken and chips snack from the "International Food" counter in Big C is OK for 55 baht. Comes with salad (well, shredded cabbage), tomato sauce and mayonnaise. Free water available most of the time. The chips look and taste better than McDonalds or KFC IMHO. So, when you get back to reality and return to Big C, that counter is worth a try.

The chicken and chips snack from the "International Food" counter in Big C is OK for 55 baht. Comes with salad (well, shredded cabbage), tomato sauce and mayonnaise. Free water available most of the time. The chips look and taste better than McDonalds or KFC IMHO. So, when you get back to reality and return to Big C, that counter is worth a try.

Trust me the one in the Robinsons food court is better Bill & around the same price + they do free water its just hidden around the corner? They also do grilled salmon, spaghetti & fried fish in breadcrumbs which I have not tried yet

SWMBO and myself had lunch in Robinson's yesterday. I tried to drag the Big Boss upstairs to the Food Court but was politely told, "No, the food is mai alloy". We settled for the Oishi Japanese restaurant on the ground floor. I had the pork curry which included a bowl of soup. Very tasty with a little bit of a bite (1 chillie rating) and quite good value at 129 baht. SWMBO had the grilled salmon and sushi bits for 229 Baht. I was allowed to sample a little bit of her meal. Looked very appetizing and tasted good. Maybe I will get to try the Food Hall when I am by myself one day.

The wife has given the food court at robinsons a big thumbs down. Overpriced and Mai alloy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we be drinking coffee?

Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL cholesterol levels. Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee.
Source : Harvard school of public health

Right on ,my friend !
A scientific study claims that coffee increases your sexual stamina and libido !
I have found this to be quite true in a certain percentage of the male caucasian heterosexual population.

In fact, I've been conducting my own study on that explicit subject for the past 30 years and concur with the findings >>> french press ! :biggrin:

Harry, you are still midway into your beer psychological experiment, correct ? (lol)

Always with best wishes to yours and your loved ones Hug1

Indication of things to come ?

226778_667125179975811_1243597324_n.jpg

After the mad squeeze of the first three days its good to see there is room to park within the 1000 space car park. Albeit the space is in the uncovered parking area while the covered parking area remains quite full. I'm always the optimist. Some people call a glass half empty, I prefer to call it half full. Besides, all shops in the UK are closed in Christmas day and Boxing day. This is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

After the mad squeeze of the first three days its good to see there is room to park within the 1000 space car park. Albeit the space is in the uncovered parking area while the covered parking area remains quite full. I'm always the optimist. Some people call a glass half empty, I prefer to call it half full. Besides, all shops in the UK are closed in Christmas day and Boxing day. This is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

True BUT this is Buddhas country not christian. Hopefully your correct.

We tried to go and eat there last night and the car park was so packed we turned around and went to Hot Pot at Tesco. The mall was a mad house!

What are your thoughts, comments & general observations about the food court at Robinsons?

I have tried the food court upstairs & I can highly recommend it for value & taste also the seating arrangement is very comfortable & modern.

The Pork Bone Noodle Tom Yam soup (40 baht) was excellent
& definitely worth a try

The Pad Krapow Moo
(I had to ask for pieces of pork instead of mince) (40baht) was very tasty
& definitely worth a try it was much tastier/larger portion than those on offer at the other food courts i.e. Tesco & Big C & also better than most Thai kitchens around Surin town

Beef Steak with Black Pepper Sauce & french fries (70 baht) was OK I found it a little chewy with only 4 french fries but my daughter really liked it, again
much tastier/larger portion than those on offer at the other food courts i.e. Tesco & Big C

Pork Steak with Rice & Spicy Chilli Sauce (50 baht) this was really good & very tasty & definitely worth a try, the chilli sauce has a nice kick to it.

The only negative I can really point out about the food court is the menu in most of the small outlets is only written in Thai.

I officially rescind my previous recommendation of the food court at Robinsons, standards, taste & quality have declined since it first opend, I would still say it is better than the other supermarket food courts in the area but that is not really the seal of approval

Last edited:
Back