The making of Bar Girls

B

billp

I have put this under culture because it is part of Thai culture mixed with some Farang culture . I read this and another couple of Forums and it seems to me that we seem pretty scathing about Bar Girls and I wonder why . The average BG comes from a pretty poor family living in places that we could never contemplate , the family as whole work long exhausting hours probably in paddy fields for less than the average farang's childs pocket money . Their chances of ever improving their lot is virtually non-existent - although the average Thai is prepared to chance their arm by starting a roadside business , the returns are pitiful and the successful Thais grind their fellow countrymen down even more . Yes , the normal Thai man likes a drink or a some Ya Baa and is generally idle but then , the education is not very helpful - fortunately , getting better thanks in no small measure to the number of farang teachers working here . So , what do you have ? A girl , reasonably attractive , no knowledge of morals , being the only hope of bringing any money of consequence into the home She could go and work in a factory but at most she would probably earn about 5000 baht per month , she could go to a town and work in a shop but the same applies , or she listens to some friends who tells her about working in a bar where farangs come to drink , and give her money for going to bed with them . She probably lost her virginity very early on by one of the local boys and places no value on sex anyway . She may even enjoyed the first time so it is no big deal . Her first week in a bar could bring her as much as 20,000 baht - to her , a vast sum and to the family Manna from heaven . And what of the farangs hand in all this . Well, the amount of money we throw at these girls is far in excess of any money a Thai man would pay , if he pays at all . We take these girls back to our room and get them to do things that most farang ladies would never think of doing , or if they did think of it , would probably never put into action . The Farang man ( and sometimes , woman) takes these girls , strip them , get them to perform , in some cases, very obscene acts , some quite perverse , then slap them on the rear end , give them a 1000 baht and push them out of the door . Then we expect , when we try to get serious with any of them , to act like the girl next door in England or the US of A . Once we marry one of them , we expect loyalty and trust whilst we still carry on as if we were single . Small wonder that we hear of horror stories , of GF's ripping the farang off , of wives having Thai boyfriends etc . We , the farang , must shoulder much of the responsibility of the making of BG's as anybody else . I personally know that having been with many a BG that they have always given me good value for my money and whilst I may have been foolish sometimes in my treatment of them , they on their part , have never tried to be anything else than what they are - Bargirls - part hostess , part prostitute , part country girl - but above all , a girl who is trying to do the best she can for her family and herself with the only asset she has . I think they deserve a lot of praise . :Bow5:

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have been in the trade as they say it does make me laugh when people write things about how much money bar girls earn.Yes,there is the odd good looking girl that is popular can earn good money or girls working in Go Go's but the average bar girl doesn't earn much more than an average factory worker.How many times have you walked past a bar and seen the same girls sitting there night after night . I read on some sites were guys think girls are going with 5 or 6 guys a day and making sh*tloads of cash. You talk to any bar-girl in Soi 7 or 8 and she would be more than happy if she have 2 or 3 customers a week ( More like 2 or 3 a month for some !! ).I have to go out now but after a few more members have posted I will comment some more.

All so very true.....and then they get their teeth fixed, plastic surgey of some sort, and so on,,,,the money goes guickly....and as AC says, so are clients......I always try and treat them fairly, and in return I always feel they treat me fairly....some I have taken to the movies, out to eat a a nice place, and so on.....

Or just go to The Bamboo bar or Insomnia,Walking Street but late,late.

The lucky ones in Chiang Mai are getting 3 thousand per month plus room and board and at the moment if they get one trick a week their doing good. Their income for the month 15K.

The idea was to provoke some discussion and it is disappointing to see that it is concentrating on the amount they earn . With regards to that , what I was trying to say was that in the days before yellow/red shirts , in a good bar in Pattaya a lovely BG could earn big money that was far removed from the pittance they would earn planting rice .:Drink4:.

It seems that all the really good ones got hooked up and went home, not enough customers...I knew a free lancer a few years ago, a real stunner, good person, and she earned about 30K per month, then her sister got a sponser that was sending her 40K per month not to work, so the one I knew was looking for a person like that real hard,......I was not the one for sure.....but she finally found one.... you always hear stories on their earnings, but for what some of them have to sleep with, I would just stay poor.......

I know nothing about bargirls (!), but I can add a bit about barboys to the discussion. Some make good incomes, but it's mostly from remittances sent by doting farangs from overseas... sometimes several farangs for one boy. Then he can clear 40,000 or more a month (I knew someone who wrote the letters of thanks for one boy who was illiterate, and got a lot of information that way). The general run may well be married (comparatively few are gay) , or have one sponsor locally, and they work in the bar as a way of hanging round with the boys, getting drinks without paying for them, with always the chance of a windfall. Most of them are bone idle, though I have known some who really worked hard after they were too old for the bar trade. Yaa ba or chronic alcoholism is always on the horizon, and I've known of several committing suicide if they're diagnosed HIV positive; others die of it. My partner and I were discussing the other day the kids we had known in the bar trade 10 or more years ago, and it seems that about half were dead. So much for easy wealth! Nowadays most of the bar boys in Chiangmai are Thai Yai from Burma, who have no alternative way of keeping body and soul together.

I'd just like to say its commendable that posters are having a thoughtful, kind discussion here about bar girls/boys, because I am a great believer in treating them with respect. I have met many girls & ladyboys in the bars who I am pleased to sit and chat with in a friendly manner. They are usually quite fun and extroverted company.

:001_Thank_You5: :Bow5::Bow5:

Alan - Very nice and , like you , I love them all . I just wish I was 30 years younger . I think this shows that they are just girls prepared to 'take care' of us horny farangs

Nick - Keep working at it , never give up, and you'll make your mark - it's always been my ambition to be arrested for rape at 94 and I believe in practising daily.
After all , we should help the local economy .
:Jump_Drool::Jump_Drool::Jump_Drool:

Nick - Keep working at it , never give up, and you'll make your mark - it's always been my ambition to be arrested for rape at 94 and I believe in practising daily.
After all , we should help the local economy .
:Jump_Drool::Jump_Drool::Jump_Drool:
Surely you don't really mean that you want to rape some-one daily??:Cross_Fingers:

Surin & Dave - Remember - Confucius says "That there is no such thing as Rape - Woman with skirt up runs faster than Man with pants down " - certainly when you get to my age !!!!:Cry3::Cry3::Cry3:

Read this today,sort of relevant

5 Things Thai bar girls Like about Farangs

Most surveys are conducted with scores, if not hundreds of people. Personally I go for the one person who is most representative of the subject group and several years ago when I was thinking about the five qualities a Thai bar girl required from her farang boyfriend, I immediately went to Gai, the Buffalo Bar’s version of Anna Nichols Smith.

Gai has been loved by scores of men over her five year career and spent the night a few more. My cousin was one of them. Few had complaints other than Gai really didn’t want to settle down with most of them. After plying her with several drinks, I asked, “Why?”

“Farang men like Thai men are no good. Say one thing, do the other.”

The lights of Pattaya don’t attract the best catches on the planet, but there are some nice guys.

“What do you look for in a man?”

“The opposite of what a man wants.” Gai ordered a Heineken on my tab. No one’s time is free and I waved for another Chang Beer. I like drinking with her.

“Which is?”

“Sex, love, fun, freedom, and faithfulness.”

“Sounds about right.” My top choice after her first is someone having my back or a woman on the same team.

“Most farangs kee-nok think they are the best thing to happen to a Thai girl. Look at them. Bald, fat, unable to find a woman in their own country, cheap, except when it comes to getting drunk, then they are just like thai men. Drink everything they have and end up in bed with another woman or lady-boy.”

“That’s a little hard.” But not off the mark in Pattaya. “So all the women her are angels.”

“Not angels. Women. Nothing more and they want something most men can’t give them. Security is #1.”

“Money.”

“Without money I can’t take care of my baby.

“I would say truthfulness, but no man can tell the truth more than second hours in a row. All you have to do is ask them what they are thinking.”

“The answer is usually nothing.”

“And you expect a woman to believe that.”

“Men have minds like dogs.”

“And women are cats.”

“So what’s second?”

“Fun and laughs. No sense in being with a man if he is no fun.”

“What about choice #1. Money.”

“Only if there is no other choice.”

Unfortunately during low season the options were reduced by 50% and bar girls had to make do with the dregs. Sam Royalle calls this time after Songkran the Brad Pitt season, when bar girls call Saudi hunchbacks with mohawks sexy. Gai is lucky enough that she can be choosy most of the time.

“So far we have money and fun.”

“Only two.” Gai lifted her fingers. The nails were long and painted fire-engine red. Respect for family.”

“Meaning your mother and father.” I knew how important that was, however several bargirls started off in brothels to pay off their father’s rice debts. I can’t respect them, but the girls understand the needs of the family supersede their dreams.

“Yes,” She finished her beer and waved to a good-looking farang entering the bar. His smile said he was her first pick for tonight and she finished the top five. “Next comes sex. Good sex is good. Bad sex is good too as long as it’s fast. Last comes love, because you can’t eat love.”

“And you can eat sex?”

“It pays the bills.”

“So it’s money, fun, family respect, sex, and love.” I tipped her a 100 baht and Gai kissed me on the cheek.

Her choices were not the same order as men. Maybe other bar girls would have a different order, but somehow I felt that Gai was on the money, especially knowing Pattaya’s farangs.

After all I’m one too.

5 Things Thai bar girls Like about Farangs – MangoZeen

More than you think

I have read this with great interest, although I fully agree with the main statement some of you guys are way off the mark when it comes to discussing the rewards a girl and her family can reap.

Some of my Observations.

In 75% of the cases, the girls family do not know she is working in BKK as a bar girl, those that do obviously turn a blind eye and keep eating the good food.

A lot of the Bar Girls are hooked up in a web of vice and coruption generally spun by the Thai boyfriend who is happy to hawk her to pay his own bills. This means despite some of them having very high earnings, the girl has nothing after providing for her family as the boyfriend relieves her of the rest.

Some of the monies earned by girls in the very successful bars in Cowboy etc are staggering. My information is current to June this year when my informant left to be sponsored.
In Baccara Soi Cowboy BKK a favourite bar of the 'silly japan man' the Number One Girl is running at around 65 Bar Fines a month, for which the bar pays her nothing, however she doesnt go out the door for less than 3000 Baht Short Time. She also has clocked up 400 + Lady Drinks for which she gets 50 baht a time.
Do the maths - 65 x 3000 and 400 x 50 makes returns of more than 200K per month.
Two girls in there have no Thai boyfriends or drug habit to feed and have amassed 2 Million Baht in the year that they have worked, whilst still providing for the family back in the village
I understand these figures are exceptional, however they are true, similar to the hundreds of others in the big bars of Cowboy and Pattaya who have earned 100K + a month and have nothing to show for it.

At the moment pickings are slim, however the salary paid in Walking St GoGo Bar are 10,000 baht a month for those who do the stage show and 9,000 for those who dont. They make a good living, however the grass is always greener when Mr Falang Sponsor comes along.

As for the girls who sit night after night in the same bar hearing the same music and seeing the same people - I couldnt do it for 2 days never mind 2 years. You have to respect those that will hop up and smile in the hope that Mr Tightass Farang who comes every night for a perv will, just this once, choose her instead.

For my part, I respect them all and we all know, there may be the odd one that enjoys it, however for most it is definitely a 'needs must' issue.

MH

As for the girls who sit night after night in the same bar hearing the same music and seeing the same people - I couldnt do it for 2 days never mind 2 years. You have to respect those that will hop up and smile in the hope that Mr Tightass Farang who comes every night for a perv will, just this once, choose her instead.

Even though I agree there are girls making lots of money ,if you was to take the profession as a whole, most are not.As I have had a bar I always treat the girls with respect as I know what most of them go through.I don't like Go Go Bars and the little money I do spend now when I do go to places like Pattaya is normally spent on the girls that work the quieter beer bars, they are the ones that seem to need the money the most and the ones that I find are normally the nicest to talk too.

Back