The yellow tabien ban as viewed by Thais

J

johnb

I am happy to report that I successfully obtained my yellow house book (yellow tabien ban, YTB) today. It was all relatively straightforward. My wife and I went to the Tessaban offices (where the night market is) yesterday and presented copies of ID, marriage documentation etc. We were told that we would also need a certificate of residence (C of R) from immigration at KC. We were given a printed letter requesting a C of R.

We turned up at KC at 09h00 today and presented them with the request letter together with the usual copies of ID, housebook etc. Within 20 minutes we had the C of R, no charge.

Back to the Tessaban by 11h00. YTB in my hand by 11h45, once again no charge. An interesting point for those considering getting a YTB is that if you live in Naimuang, downtown Surin, you apply at the Tessaban offices. The suburbanites living in, say, Cityland or out towards Lobinsons apparently apply at the Amphoe Muang. Dont ask me why.

The previous three paragraphs were not the principal reason for this post. That was the reaction of Thai folk hereabouts to the news.

When I turned up for tennis this evening and told my Thai friends about the YTB, they were gobsmacked. Most had never even heard of this document. The only one that had heard of it is a lady who has lived on and off in Germany for 20 years. They shook my hand, they welcomed me to Thai citizenship (really!) and all implored me to bring the YTB to the club tomorrow for them to see.

I am the only farang member of the tennis club and I guess the other members do not mix with farang on a regular basis, if at all.

Let me give you some idea....I was playing this evening with... a retired restaurant owner, a retired bank manager, the owner of a hardware shop, the owner of an ice making factory, a retired university administrator, a judge in the Surin Provincial Criminal and Civil Court, a computer shop owner, a hotel owner...mostly, though not exclusively, Thai Chinese well-to-dos. None of them mix with farang on a regular basis and it seems the YTB is something they were completely unfamiliar with and yet extremely impressed by.

If anyone is interested, I shall report the reaction when they see the real thing!

yes, please do.

and, in your view, why/for what reason do you find it advantageous to have YTB?

They know what they need to know. I have still got mine from Surin, obtained 6 years ago. Maybe I'll get it updated some day.

Melvin,

I wanted to get the YTB for 3 reasons:

1.I need proof of residence for my UK passport renewal early 2016 and I believe the YTB will do the job.
2. My wife and I are in the process of buying a new car and the YTB will give us the option of it being in my name, unlike all the rest of our worldly assets, such as they are!
3. With all the chat about junta/immigration tightening up, the perceived extra hurdles being put in front of we farangs on visa extensions, police home visits etc. I just figure it might come in useful at some point. No cost, so worth a bit of a paper chase to get it, IMHO.

Melvin,

I wanted to get the YTB for 3 reasons:

1.I need proof of residence for my UK passport renewal early 2016 and I believe the YTB will do the job.
2. My wife and I are in the process of buying a new car and the YTB will give us the option of it being in my name, unlike all the rest of our worldly assets, such as they are!
3. With all the chat about junta/immigration tightening up, the perceived extra hurdles being put in front of we farangs on visa extensions, police home visits etc. I just figure it might come in useful at some point. No cost, so worth a bit of a paper chase to get it, IMHO.

You MAY be lucky with YTB as address confirmation John. The official word is that any document must be less than a year old (and translated into English). We had a case where a YTB was rejected because it was years old. (explaining the purpose of the YTB etc cut no ice with Liverpool).

I would suggest that you have some other correspondence (DWP, P60, bank statement etc) as primary evidence - you may then not have to get the YTB translated.

As luck would have it, I received a letter from HMRC only a couple of days ago which should do the trick. Unfortunately it was informing me that I had underpaid tax for last year. Hey-ho! Swings and roundabouts, clouds and silver linings etc.

As luck would have it, I received a letter from HMRC only a couple of days ago which should do the trick. Unfortunately it was informing me that I had underpaid tax for last year. Hey-ho! Swings and roundabouts, clouds and silver linings etc.

An HRMC letter will be perfect for passport renewal (as long as you use it before it is more than 1 year old), Dont forget that a colour photocopy will also be needed, to go with colour copies of every page of your current passport (used or blank)

Agree that having a YTB does have it's uses. I am on the wife's blue book, and that causes much confusion when I produce it.

With a Cambodia trip looming next week, I must make sure I do not get on the wife's black book too!Club_fight1

I am happy to report that I successfully obtained my yellow house book (yellow tabien ban, YTB) today. It was all relatively straightforward. My wife and I went to the Tessaban offices (where the night market is) yesterday and presented copies of ID, marriage documentation etc. We were told that we would also need a certificate of residence (C of R) from immigration at KC. We were given a printed letter requesting a C of R.

We turned up at KC at 09h00 today and presented them with the request letter together with the usual copies of ID, housebook etc. Within 20 minutes we had the C of R, no charge.

Back to the Tessaban by 11h00. YTB in my hand by 11h45, once again no charge. An interesting point for those considering getting a YTB is that if you live in Naimuang, downtown Surin, you apply at the Tessaban offices. The suburbanites living in, say, Cityland or out towards Lobinsons apparently apply at the Amphoe Muang. Dont ask me why.

The previous three paragraphs were not the principal reason for this post. That was the reaction of Thai folk hereabouts to the news.

When I turned up for tennis this evening and told my Thai friends about the YTB, they were gobsmacked. Most had never even heard of this document. The only one that had heard of it is a lady who has lived on and off in Germany for 20 years. They shook my hand, they welcomed me to Thai citizenship (really!) and all implored me to bring the YTB to the club tomorrow for them to see.

I am the only farang member of the tennis club and I guess the other members do not mix with farang on a regular basis, if at all.

Let me give you some idea....I was playing this evening with... a retired restaurant owner, a retired bank manager, the owner of a hardware shop, the owner of an ice making factory, a retired university administrator, a judge in the Surin Provincial Criminal and Civil Court, a computer shop owner, a hotel owner...mostly, though not exclusively, Thai Chinese well-to-dos. None of them mix with farang on a regular basis and it seems the YTB is something they were completely unfamiliar with and yet extremely impressed by.

If anyone is interested, I shall report the reaction when they see the real thing!

Very pleased to hear the system worked, especially the part where the Tessaban Offices gave you a letter requesting KCI to issue a letter, and then KCI wrote a letter of residence and all at no cost. Out of interest, which part of KCI issued the letter; the Visa Section or the Crime Suppression Unit? It was the latter that issued my letter.

Very pleased to hear the system worked, especially the part where the Tessaban Offices gave you a letter requesting KCI to issue a letter, and then KCI wrote a letter of residence and all at no cost. Out of interest, which part of KCI issued the letter; the Visa Section or the Crime Suppression Unit? It was the latter that issued my letter.

Nomad, my wife and I walked in through the visa section entrance and presented the request letter to the girl on the information desk there. She asked us to sit down there and produced the C of R right there on her desk computer. It was sent through to one of the immigration officers in the main room for checking and signing before being handed over. When I asked how much, the girl said no charge.

Nomad, my wife and I walked in through the visa section entrance and presented the request letter to the girl on the information desk there. She asked us to sit down there and produced the C of R right there on her desk computer. It was sent through to one of the immigration officers in the main room for checking and signing before being handed over. When I asked how much, the girl said no charge.

Your living correctly.p4rty

YTB can of worms

Out of curiosity, in order to receive a YTB does one:
(1) simply locate a Thai person who owns a residence outright and is willing to marry you and attest that you reside in said domicile ?
(2) simply purchase a residence in a Thai person's name and they attest you will be residing at said domicile (particularly for same partner members) ?
(3) marry a Thai person and purchase a residence ; prove you are married et al (above) and receive YTB ?

Does a YTB provide you with any legal interest in the said property or is it simply to prove residency ?

That stated, what is the advantage of purchasing a vehicle in your own name if you are married ?
Doesn't that beg the can of worms question , "Dal-ring , don't you trust me ?"

Sorry to inquire as I'm naive about official marriage in LOS.

I have had a YTB for about 2 years.

I recall the process as being very stress free although we did have to ask The Village Headman to accompany Wood and myself to the office in Surin.

It may have helped that while I was in the office I was looking at some photos which the Office Manager explained were of a Valentine's Day celebration which he organised and I offered him a donation to help (a little bit) with the costs. The Manager did not ask or even hint at a contribution.

I have had a YTB for about 2 years.

I recall the process as being very stress free although we did have to ask The Village Headman to accompany Wood and myself to the office in Surin.

It may have helped that while I was in the office I was looking at some photos which the Office Manager explained were of a Valentine's Day celebration which he organised and I offered him a donation to help (a little bit) with the costs. The Manager did not ask or even hint at a contribution.

Did he, by any chance, accept the donation willingly? You are safe to answer, because the possible transaction occurred prior to 21 July 2015 when corruption ended!

Did he, by any chance, accept the donation willingly? You are safe to answer, because the possible transaction occurred prior to 21 July 2015 when corruption ended!

AB Yes he was happy to accept it.
I must stress the situation only arose because I was interested in some photos displayed on a board in the office and The Manager explained that he organised and subsidised the event
He neither asked nor even hinted at a payment.
I was happy to help in a small way a person with a friendly attitude who was obviously very interested in his job. It was a pleasure to meet that guy and talk to him for a short time.

Coffee, so unlike you to be naive about such matters. Let me explain.

(1) simply locate a Thai person who owns a residence outright and is willing to marry you and attest that you reside in said domicile ?

(2) simply purchase a residence in a Thai person's name and they attest you will be residing at said domicile (particularly for same partner members) ?

(3) marry a Thai person and purchase a residence ; prove you are married et al (above) and receive YTB ?

Questions 1 and 3 would work but I am not so sure about question 2.
Does a YTB provide you with any legal interest in the said property or is it simply to prove residency ?

None whatsoever.
That stated, what is the advantage of purchasing a vehicle in your own name if you are married? Doesn't that beg the can of worms question , "Dal-ring , don't you trust me?"

More than likely but at least you can protect a major expenditure and have it to run off in when you divorce. Everything else that you have bought during your marriage to said Thai lady is likely to be left behind. However, this scenario is not limited or peculiar to Thailand and in all probability would be experienced in most other civalised countries in the World.

No comment!

thank you , Nomad...

...for trying to provide some sort of an answer. (Your post above.)

After reading John's posts regarding his exceeding happiness back in Thailand and the little tyke wanting to take the boy to visit Mum in England , how could you even suggest that he was trying to protect assets in case of the potential for a divorce shrug1

Your theory goes right back to the wider opening of that can of worms , "Dah-ring , don't you trust me ?"

I shan't believe that a married man would reply, "Frankly , my dear..."

Why marry in the first place ? shrug1
(Pls don't tell me for a visa based on marriage , Nomad.) Crazy1

As far as Western country divorce, all assets are 50/50 as are all debts. A vehicle (if paid for) would be considered an asset less depreciated value.
Unless it was given previously as a gift (like jewelry) , it remains in the 50/50 pot to be split by the loving couple. Trust me - I've been there.

Coffee, your post appeared to be asking the questions is it advantageous to get married or better to remain single and unattached. Is the only perk of getting married the Yellow Book?

For me the main advantage of the Yellow Book is the easier renewal of my Thai driving licence. Whilst this event only happens every 5 years it does dispense with the need to jump through hoops to obtain a Letter of Residence from KCI. It would have been useful to have had a Yellow Book a couple of years ago when I was registering my Chopper in Surin prior to selling on. Alas I didn't and I paid 1,000 Baht for 2 Letters of Residence (as requested my the Licensing Center).

In addition, if I wanted to make a major purchase like a new car I can now do so in my own name. I could have done so before as well because up to the beginning of this year it was pretty easy to get a Letter of Residence from KCI. However, now that KCI will not issue a letter of residence without a request from the government office requiring such a letter, I am not sure how a Farang would obtain such a letter for purchasing a car. Rest assured, I like the institution of marriage and everything of substance in our home belongs to my wife, SWMBO! And if we ever get divorced it will be a case of "I'm sitting at the railway station with a ticket for my destination oh, oh o oh".

Finally, in these troubled times when police checks are becoming more prevalent, both ad hoc and follow-up home visits when extending one's annual visa, the possession of a little Yellow Book may help make life a little easier for me. After all, it does show where one is living and it has been issued by a Government Body. Anyway, no harm in having one.

two parts love / two parts pity

Coffee, your post appeared to be asking the questions is it advantageous to get married or better to remain single and unattached. Is the only perk of getting married the Yellow Book?

Rest assured, I like the institution of marriage and everything of substance in our home belongs to my wife, SWMBO! And if we ever get divorced it will be a case of "I'm sitting at the railway station with a ticket for my destination oh, oh o oh".

Finally, in these troubled times when police checks are becoming more prevalent, both ad hoc and follow-up home visits when extending one's annual visa, the possession of a little Yellow Book may help make life a little easier for me. After all, it does show where one is living and it has been issued by a Government Body. Anyway, no harm in having one.

Rest assured, I wouldn't ask any outsider for their opinion if , when or before I
think about getting betrothed. Particularly not among this lot.

So as the YTB is good for one year....do you renew the YTB each successive year prior to making your visa based on retirement ?

On the plus side , go ahead and buy a new vehicle in your name as opposed to your SWMBO. Then you can tell us how much that train ticket cost.

Do me a favour, as a parent - keep a close eye on your two gems.
Some folks on another very unfortunate thread think that Thai authorities and parents of society's misfits will do that job. That deeply worries me.

Remember, I'm out late with that part of the dark side.
From what I can see I wouldn't let my dog out of the gate after midnite.

I think I'm getting quite disgusted with the concurrence of opinion in this community that begs for trouble and then wants to put the blame squarely where it belongs - on society's cesspool of unbalanced vermin and perverted spittle.

Which in the end brings only brings the parents and family to the wat to burn their most precious dream , their innocent children.
How really sad.

That stated, what is the advantage of purchasing a vehicle in your own name if you are married ?
Doesn't that beg the can of worms question , "Dal-ring , don't you trust me ?"

As far as I have understood a YTB is by no means related to ownership of residence or
marriage to a Thai.
It is a quite simply an official recognition of your address/residence.
I think you can receive a YTB when you rent a condo or house. The YTB is address verification/recognition (for foreigners).

The Thais have their blue book (Tabien Baan), same thing, it is address stuff, not ownership stuff.

As far as I have understood a YTB is by no means related to ownership of residence or
marriage to a Thai.
It is a quite simply an official recognition of your address/residence.
I think you can receive a YTB when you rent a condo or house. The YTB is address verification/recognition (for foreigners).

The Thais have their blue book (Tabien Baan), same thing, it is address stuff, not ownership stuff.

Correct.

A single friend renting a house obtained one with his landlady's assistance.

In Prakhonchai, I can't get a YTB because I am not married.

Back