There's A Buffalo In Our Backyard!

A

AussieBill

On my most-recent monitoring visit to Surin, I was perusing the view of the squatters next door from our kitchen window when a buffalo wandered through the foreground. After ascertaining that I was not looking in a mirror and that all those years of drinking Sang Som was not causing my brain to see mirages, I drew the matter to the attention of the GL and suggested she use her many years of buffalo caretaking skills to remove the lost creature before it could start eating things including me, perhaps.

To cut a long story short, the GL has long wanted another buffalo to keep me company and has decided to practise diversified farming to supplement the failed rice crop. (Changing to potato farming has been suggested). That probably explains the arrival of 10 young ducklings which I found in the front yard among the chooks, cats and dogs.

We have sadly passed the time of the Thai mother-in-law being in hospital, where even farang financial support failed to save her from cancer. I wonder do I now await the inevitable call regarding the sick buffalo!

Buffaloes are good money-earners. They keep the grass down (also the plants you want to grow), and in the dry season wander off into the paddies and feed on rice straw. This costs nothing.

We have two adults and a calf. These are anchored by a piece of wood hammered into the ground, but usually pull it out and go where they list. The calf is not yet anchored, and is the delight of my toy poodle, of which the calf is unaccountably frightened.

All part of living in Isan.

Last edited:
Some of the wifes family members. there names are Ham and Hock.

10923509_814015108646036_1165622568089119721_n.jpg

and the newest member about 2 weeks old. Name is Burger. The photo was taken when he was about 1 hour old.

11902310_882080131839533_438876482756621581_n.jpg

Back