Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
BREAKING

Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia

xThailand_tourist+visa+600x398.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S8dekrV0Lz.jpg

Thaivisa strives to bring its members and the wider expat community in Thailand the best possible information it can on the latest situation with regards to visas and entry into the Kingdom. This weekend, one of our reporters visited a number of border checkpoints in southern Thailand to see at firsthand what the current situation is for foreign nationals trying to extend their stay in Thailand.

This is what we found...

SUNGAI KOLOK (Southern Thailand): -- At least 20 foreign nationals were yesterday (Sunday) denied entry into Thailand using their 60-days Tourist visas, after attempting to enter via the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province.

Narathiwat is a popular destination for visa runners and border runners to exit and re-enter the country in order to extend their stay in Thailand.

All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas.

Eight of the foreigners in question held visas issued abroad, as well as from Malaysia, namely from the Royal Thai Consulates in Penang and Kota Bahru. The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand.

Immigration officials at Sungai Kolok, as well as at several other border checkpoints in the south, have been ordered by the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok to deny entry to foreigners holding 60-days Tourist visas.

A reporter from Thaivisa.com was present when the foreigners attempted to cross the border and can confirm that Sungai Kolok Immigration officials were refusing entry on Sunday to all holders of Tourist visas.

As for those who were refused entry, many of them were shocked, concerned and left in utter disbelief at the situation they now found themselves in.

Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead.

According to Immigration border officials, the official rule is max one 30-days exemption stamp or Tourist visa and no previous tourist visa extensions.

The Sungai Kolok border checkpoint additionally tells thaivisa.com that passport holders from Russia, Laos, Vietnam and South Korea are no longer welcome to enter Thailand via their checkpoint.

The official we spoke to who did not wish to be named said these new measures are following new orders from Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

The officer went onto say “"You are a tourist for 30 days, not more."

Thaivisa.com's reporter was also informed that a new form, shown below, is now needed when tourist visa holders enter Thailand via the Satun border checkpoint.

xNOTIFICATION+FROM+FOR+STAYED+FOR+OTHER+BUSINESS.png.pagespeed.ic.HGw9cTDHzV.png

NOTIFICATION+FROM+FOR+STAYED+FOR+OTHER+B

During the 2 hours Thaivisa was present at Sungai Kolok border checkpoint, all foreigners with tourist visas were denied entry while holders of NON-Immigrant visas could enter Thailand without any problem.

Previously, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs circulated information to the foreign Embassies and Consulates in Thailand and to the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide that individuals with back-to-back tourist visa entries will be refused entry into Thailand from August 13.

Thaivisa will bring you any updates on this story as and when we get it.

Additionally, if you have experienced a similar situation at other border checkpoints in Thailand, please do not hesitate to tell us.

-- thaivisa.com 2014-07-14

This has been coming for quite a while. You cannot blame the immigration bureau that only wants to take control of the situation and force people onto the appropriate visa they should be on. It brings in to question though, how long is a reasonable holiday ? When does a holiday cease to be just that, and you are in fact deemed to be living here. I guess they have answered all those questions once and for all. This will really mess folks up that are not over 50 years, or not married to a Thai.

This has been coming for quite a while. You cannot blame the immigration bureau that only wants to take control of the situation and force people onto the appropriate visa they should be on. It brings in to question though, how long is a reasonable holiday ? When does a holiday cease to be just that, and you are in fact deemed to be living here. I guess they have answered all those questions once and for all. This will really mess folks up that are not over 50 years, or not married to a Thai.

Next month, I return to Thailand for 5 weeks, I am under 50, but I am married to a Thai. However because of the nature of my job, I cannot send off my passport to get a visa.

Having read all of these stories of visa runs not being allowed etc, I asked my wife to check with immigration, they said that I can do my usual visa run, or go to the immigration office and as I am married they will extend my stay.

If there is any doubt, we will fly out to Singers or Hong Kong for a few days and fly back in.

Anybody else know what the score is? As I work on a ship I have to have my passport with me all the time, and my company flies me to and from Thailand, I do not want to go to UK and miss days with my kids sorting out a visa.

Cheers

Next month, I return to Thailand for 5 weeks, I am under 50, but I am married to a Thai. However because of the nature of my job, I cannot send off my passport to get a visa.

Having read all of these stories of visa runs not being allowed etc, I asked my wife to check with immigration, they said that I can do my usual visa run, or go to the immigration office and as I am married they will extend my stay.

If there is any doubt, we will fly out to Singers or Hong Kong for a few days and fly back in.

Anybody else know what the score is? As I work on a ship I have to have my passport with me all the time, and my company flies me to and from Thailand, I do not want to go to UK and miss days with my kids sorting out a visa.

Cheers

You have two very viable options. The first do a boarder hop but have proof on you as to your leaving Thailand for work you will be asked as you will be doing a what immigration calls an "out-n-in" and this is what they are cracking down on. If done at Chong Chom I see no problem except the Cambodia immigration taking you for 1200 baht on their visa and 300 baht for a u turn. You will get a 30 day visa exempt stamp when re entering Thailand. Your 2 nd option is go to KCI with the wife and proof of marriage 1900 baht and apply for a 60 day extension on visiting your wife. This can be done only one time per visa. You should not have a problem flying back into Bangkok but immigration are giving all passports the cavity search, be prepared to show prof of your return to work.

Cheers

Why not just get a marriage visa, Adam? You could still come and go for your work.

Why not just get a marriage visa, Adam? You could still come and go for your work.

I asked him this sometime back. He is not here long enough to apply for an marriage extension and did not fell like going to Savanhaket. As thing are developing on the visa crackdown he may find that the O-visa based on marriage is looking good.

What does a marriage visa allow and how long does it last?

You see, I only need to do a visa run max once a year as it is usually only August that I am in Thailand for for more than 28 days.

This year I will come into Thailand 11 times, some for just a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks and August for 5 weeks. I think this time I will go to KC and pay the 1900 for the extension as I am nervous that if I did do the usual over the boarder and back that they might not let me back in!

Just went on line and read all about the marriage visa, fook that for now, what I am doing at the moment is much easier, unless they stop me I shall carry on with the tourist visa. I think they are after people who are in Thailand full time and just keep doing visa runs. I am out of Thailand for 8 months every year.

Last edited:
What does a marriage visa allow and how long does it last?

You see, I only need to do a visa run max once a year as it is usually only August that I am in Thailand for for more than 28 days.

This year I will come into Thailand 11 times, some for just a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks and August for 5 weeks. I think this time I will go to KC and pay the 1900 for the extension as I am nervous that if I did do the usual over the boarder and back that they might not let me back in!

Just went on line and read all about the marriage visa, fook that for now, what I am doing at the moment is much easier, unless they stop me I shall carry on with the tourist visa. I think they are after people who are in Thailand full time and just keep doing visa runs. I am out of Thailand for 8 months every year.

Adam.. Things are changing hot and fast on visas for Thailand. There is a very serious crack down on abusers of Tourist Visa and boarder hopes. These change have the potential of getting worst. the implications can been seen at KCI and Chong Chom. I see this on a daily bases. When you enter Thailand by air you are not getting a tourist visa your getting a 30 day visa exempt stamp. A Tourist Visa can only be gotten at a Thai embassy or consulate. 60 day +30 day extension. These tourist visa are what immigration is seriously cracking down on. Doing what is called a border hop or in out on a 30 day visa exempt is also being seriously curtailed. You can get one and maybe a third in a row IF you can show proof of onward travel. Your options are you can do a border hop, out and in and get 30 days hopefully with no problem. you can get a 7 day extension at KCI for 1900 baht or you can get a 60 day extension being married.
At the moment you can get this each time you arrive by air into Thailand on your visa exempt stamp BUT that could change. I know your work schedule is not favorable but you can get a marriage extension good for a year, this is what I'm on. You have the option of going to the Thai consulate in Savanhket Lao and getting an O multi visa for 12 months canbe extended to 15 months BASED on marriage. This is not a marriage visa. Requirements at present are proof of marriage and NO proof of any income. There are SF and BE members that are on this. Understand your situation but as this issue is very very fluid do no cut off any option.

"'What does a marriage visa allow and how long does it last?

This year I will come into Thailand 11 times, some for just a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks and August for 5 weeks. "

My understanding is that a marriage visa is good for one year, same as a retirement visa.
You need a Non-immigrant 'O' visa issued in your own country, which can be converted to a 1 year visa.
Once you have the visa, get a multi re-entry visa to maintain the marriage visa when you leave the country.

"'What does a marriage visa allow and how long does it last?

This year I will come into Thailand 11 times, some for just a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks and August for 5 weeks. "

My understanding is that a marriage visa is good for one year, same as a retirement visa.
You need a Non-immigrant 'O' visa issued in your own country, which can be converted to a 1 year visa.
Once you have the visa, get a multi re-entry visa to maintain the marriage visa when you leave the country.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa, You can get an O-Visa based on marriage in your home country by meeting their requirements but you do not get a visa inside Thailand. The options that i have spelled out for Adam is what he can get. His work schedule makes it impossible to get an extesnsion to stay based on marriage. BTW there is no retirement visa only an O-visa based on retirement and an extension to stay based on retirement. Visas are generally not issued inside Thailand. A true visa you have to leave Thailand every 90 days where an extension to stay you report to immigration every 90 days.

Show me a visa obtained outside Thailand that can be extended inside Thailand..

All visa types can be extended inside Thailand. Its the length of extension that varies.

eg 60 day tourist visa can be extended once 30 days.

Even the type O visa based on marriage obtained outside Thailand can be extended 45 days with no proof of income once. With proof of income you can get a year.

Obviously I am telling you how to suck eggs GL. What do you really mean by your comment.?

All visa types can be extended inside Thailand. Its the length of extension that varies.

eg 60 day tourist visa can be extended once 30 days.

Even the type O visa based on marriage obtained outside Thailand can be extended 45 days with no proof of income once. With proof of income you can get a year.

Obviously I am telling you how to suck eggs GL. What do you really mean by your comment.?

By Thai law the 30 day add on for a tourist visa is not an extension but I'll give you that one. As for an any O multi obtained outside Thailand you can push it to 15 months with another border hop before the enter by date. There is no 45 day day extension.If your talking about converting over to an extension to stay based on marriage and yes I'm on this. You can apply up to 45 days early on any of your 90 day border hops at which time if all requirements are in place you can submit your application to immigration. You will be put UNDER CONSIDERATION of 1 month that will become effective when your 90 days is finished at which time your O-visa is no more. the under consideration becomes part of your 12 months marriage extension NOT a visa. If your thinking of the 60 day extension to see a Thai wife yes, she has to be with you with proof of marriage. This can only be done once on an existing visa or visa exempt entry, then you have to leave Thailand. and get a noter visa.

Last edited:
Hi visa experts.I'm wondering what the best plan is for myself visa wyse,for my next trip to Thailand in October.I slightly miscalculated when booking my flight and have ended up with me being in the country for 95 days.ie 5 days over the 90 permitted(I am intending to go for type o visa which will do the 90 days) I have overstayed previously and have the dirty marks in my passport to prove it.and would prefer not to have to accumulate more.(I have wife and 2kids there)I don't have the 800,000 to go for the year extension.

Hi visa experts.I'm wondering what the best plan is for myself visa wyse,for my next trip to Thailand in October.I slightly miscalculated when booking my flight and have ended up with me being in the country for 95 days.ie 5 days over the 90 permitted(I am intending to go for type o visa which will do the 90 days) I have overstayed previously and have the dirty marks in my passport to prove it.and would prefer not to have to accumulate more.(I have wife and 2kids there)I don't have the 800,000 to go for the year extension.

I would suggest getting a Tourist Visa PLUS 1 reentry at your local Thai consulate. That would give you 4 -6 months, assuming you have not abused tourist visas you shouldn't be subject to the Out/In hoo ha.

Last edited:

Your post suggests that you have a Non-Imm O visa .... is that correct ?

I would suggest getting a Tourist Visa PLUS 1 reentry at your local Thai consulate. That would give you 4 -6 months, assuming you have not abused tourist visas you shouldn't be subject to the Out/In hoo ha.

So tourist visa(i am uk pp)would give me 60 days...ok but I don't understand where you get the 4-6 month bit.one re entry(border visa run)would surely only give me another 30 days ----stilll only giving me the 90 days! maybe you mean for me to get a double entry tourist visa....yes thanks that could work

So tourist visa(i am uk pp)would give me 60 days...ok but I don't understand where you get the 4-6 month bit.one re entry(border visa run)would surely only give me another 30 days ----stilll only giving me the 90 days! maybe you mean for me to get a double entry tourist visa....yes thanks that could work

mrloy

The crack down on out and in visa hopes at land crossing and by air have opened up a big can of worms. Immigration is after the abusers of these visa and are making big head way but there are cases of a an extension for an extra 30 days for a 60 day tourist visa being denied and people with a double entry being denied the second entry. Personally until this get sorted I would not recommend a tourist visa to my worst enemy. I 'm not saying you can not try as the Thai embassy will issue these but its up to you to roll the dice when you arrive. My recommendation is to get an O-Visa single entry for 90 days based on marriage you can extend at immigration for 7 days, 1900 baht, or if needed you can get an extension for visiting your wife for 60 days, this will give you the extra time with out and overstay and the overstay is now a very big no no up to being banned. Also they are only allowing you one turn around ( out-n-in) and stamping your pp with a red O/I stamp. My understanding the Cardiff is still issuing O-Multi visas based on marriage good for 12 months with no proof of funds required. There are SF members that have these.

Last edited:
Back