Town Water Supply

nomad97

Resident Geek
A couple of days ago Coffee asked if anyone was experiencing trouble with their water supply. I answered that my water tank was not full although water was flowing again. When I open my tank to check the water level I was more than just surprised, I was really shocked. The inside of the tank was absolutely filthy and the water looked far from clean. Hence my job this morning, to clean out my water tank with the high pressure hose and drain all the muck away. Why was I shocked? I installed the tank previously in Cityland back in January 2005. I drained the tank in August 2012 when I moved to Kokpalat. After 7 years of use the inside of the tank was relatively clean, albeit there was a sandy sediment at the bottom of the tank. Now after only 4 1/2 years over here the walls of the tank were covered in slime and the sediment was more than just sediment, if you know what I mean. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words so I will show the aftermath of my cleaning effort with the high pressure water gun.
water tank.jpg

I am writing this tale as I am waiting to take a shower. There is a good flow of water and I guess there will soon be enough in the tank for me to switch the pump back on. Finally, I would like to say a big thank you to Coffee, for without his enquiry I don't think I would have checked the tank. Another thing to add to my 3-monthly check list of things to do.

Whenever a ricefarmer makes a repair/alteration to the mains, sand gets dragged into the pipes and can cause problems in dwellings 'up-stream'.
I fitted a brass/mesh filter before my pump in Surin to help with the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job, Nomad. Hope it hasn't stained the new concrete too badly!
Luckily, I have not yet concreted around the back of the house. That's another 70 odd square meters - doh! That's my project for next winter. I shall probably coordinate the work with the relocation of the water tank at the same time. It will need to be drained so it will get another good clean at that time.

Whenever a ricefarmer makes a repair/alteration to the mains, sand gets dragged into the pipes and can cause problems in dwellings 'up-stream'.
I fitted a brass/mesh filter before my pump in Surin to help with the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said, previously it was not a problem. I guess it may have had something to do with the new water pipes that were laid last year. They put in those long, seamless, welded, plastic black pipes out on the 226 heading east. Certainly, we get good water pressure nowadays (24 hours/day) and that 2100 liter tank was filled within 3 hours. In the good old days that would have taken a full 24 hours, mostly at night.

Back