Tuk-tuk convoy

J

johnb

From my vantage point in Kid Teung Coffee Shop this morning I saw, at around 10h30, a huge convoy go past. It consisted of what must have been every tuk-tuk in Surin, every motorbike taxi in town, with the entire fleet of 3 yellow taxis bringing up the rear. The convoy was being marshaled by police and seemed to be heading for the railway station.

Anyone know what it was all about?

From my vantage point in Kid Teung Coffee Shop this morning I saw, at around 10h30, a huge convoy go past. It consisted of what must have been every tuk-tuk in Surin, every motorbike taxi in town, with the entire fleet of 3 yellow taxis bringing up the rear. The convoy was being marshaled by police and seemed to be heading for the railway station.

Anyone know what it was all about?

Probably some sort of rehearsal for the upcoming chang festival.

Probably some sort of rehearsal for the upcoming chang festival.

I think not, Nick. It was a good part of the public service transport system of Surin out on some kind of mission. Lucky the samlors and songthaews weren't involved or it would have been even greater chaos.

Nobody else notice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think not, Nick. It was a good part of the public service transport system of Surin out on some kind of mission. Lucky the samlors and songthaews weren't involved or it would have been even greater chaos.

Nobody else notice?

Notice what? Sorry. Maybe it was a protest about taxi fares - maybe they are capped as to what they can charge and they want higher fares.

Most likely a protest of sorts.

I doubt is was a fund-raising sort of activity to help others.

JohnB > what did your Thai tennis partners conjecture ?

Most likely a protest of sorts.

I doubt is was a fund-raising sort of activity to help others.

JohnB > what did your Thai tennis partners conjecture ?

Good idea. Didn't ask, Coffee. Too busy trying to win! Will ask this evening.

The tennis crowd were not really aware of the event but surmised it would have been a demonstration requesting the tuk tuks, motorbike taxis etc be allowed to put their fares up for the Elephant Festival period......and presumably thereafter.

That is only surmise.....still no hard info.

The tennis crowd were not really aware of the event but surmised it would have been a demonstration requesting the tuk tuks, motorbike taxis etc be allowed to put their fares up for the Elephant Festival period......and presumably thereafter.That is only surmise.....still no hard info.

I think same as Nomad that is probably the correct 'assumption'.

For an exact explanation - someone could ask a tuk-tuk operator...I won't.

Back