UK - HM Revenue and Customs

nomad97

Resident Geek
Every year, HM Revenue and Customs give me the wrong 'Total tax-free amount' on my tax code. Every year, they use an increased State Pension amount, presumably in-line with the annual pension review. However, because I live in Thailand my pension has never increased - it is frozen at the rate when it was first issued. Therefore, each year I have to write to HMRC and tell them to correct my tax-fee amount and reimburse me for overpaying tax.

Today I discovered a new on-line facility for conducting my personal tax affairs. It takes about 15 minutes to sign up for the UK Government Gateway which gives access to, among other things, your personal tax account. This allowed me to question my tax-free amount and submit a query to seek a reduction in the tax I am paying for the year. You may also opt for a paperless, electronic notification of future tax notices.

If any UK citizen is interested you can sign up for your UK Government Gateway account at this address:

http://www.gateway.gov.uk

I have had very little to do with the Tax Man other than this annual adjustment for the frozen pension. Previously I had used quill pen and carrier pigeon - now I am in the Internet age.

It's money that we used to pay to the government back in the 80s.

Unfortunately, when you retire, the bastards begin extracting it from the pittance that you then receive.

It's money that we used to pay to the government back in the 80s.

Unfortunately, when you retire, the bastards begin extracting it from the pittance that you then receive.

That's the pleasure you get when you work your whole life and pay for your own pension. Just like me. I will never receive any aged benefits from the Australian government, not even a health care card.
I pay full pay as you go tax ,as it is called in Australia.

Rice you may get a Seniors card when you reach a certain age but I think these are state government issue. They do entitle you to some discounts. A number of shops recognise them and give discounts on purchases.I am not sure if the age is 70 or 80. My parents are also self funded retirees and get no government benefits. They still pay tax on their income.

You get a Seniors card at aged 60 years. It's State based and no exceptions. Many discounts are available using it. At 65 years you can also apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Card.

You get a Seniors card at aged 60 years. It's State based and no exceptions. Many discounts are available using it. At 65 years you can also apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Card.

Your right Surin I will get a seniors card in the NT at aged 60 (another three years, I'm in no hurry). I will also get a 15% discount on tax paid at that stage as well.
Mind you if ever I feel hard done buy, all I have to do is think of you poor ******* pommie expat pensioners, that have locked in pensions. I really do feel that is an absolute travesty of respect to the folk that worked their whole lives and enriched their country in doing so.

Unfortunately governments are always looking for new ways to fleece the public of their hard won income but are reluctant when it come to giving anything back.

HMRC responded positively yesterday to my tax query. They increased my tax free allowance to correct the earlier error. Only 8 days to sort out a tax query - excellent! I am impressed.

About an extra £330 per year to my tax free allowance. Not a fortune but, as they say, every little bit helps. Its better off in my pocket than the Government's coffers.

I have mentioned this before but perhaps it is worth mentioning again. HMRC seem to ignore the fact that while living in Thailand our State Pensions are frozen and never benefit from any annual review or increase. However, they appear to increase the State Pension received as per a UK resident and deduct this from your personal allowance. So a higher and false State Pension in your Tax Code means less of your allowance remains for other taxable income. As I have another private pension that is subject to tax, this error results in me paying too much tax. So, any of you who have other taxable income in the UK should always check what figure HMRC is using for your State Pension. Based on my experience you will probably be paying too much tax if you do not check this each year.

I have been on the website and discovered that albeit they are a little out with the their estimate of my projected "earnings" for this year, it's only £150.00 so it will be easy to sort out next April (I hope).

Thanks for the info @nomad97 !

[Although I usually am "granted" an increase in my company pension in January so they could be quite close].

After waiting for over one year and various emails going too and throw, last night I finally got the correct info to pay a further 7 years NIC's so that I can then receive a full new state pension upon my next birthday.

I am so happy to be able to pay this today and then inform them accordingly.

Just for info, I have already paid 33 years and because I contracted out of SERPS, I had to pay a further 7 years NIC 's (TOTAL = 40years) to get a full pension of £197.01 pw.

After waiting for over one year and various emails going too and throw, last night I finally got the correct info to pay a further 7 years NIC's so that I can then receive a full new state pension upon my next birthday.

I am so happy to be able to pay this today and then inform them accordingly.

Just for info, I have already paid 33 years and because I contracted out of SERPS, I had to pay a further 7 years NIC 's (TOTAL = 40years) to get a full pension of £197.01 pw.
Some of us had to pay 44 years (the going rate at the time for the basic pension as it is called today), then reduced if contracted out of Serps, then FROZEN!!!!!!!!! I receive £109.74 per week!

Back