UK LOTTERY FAQ's for EXPATS

C

coffeecorner

Following Alan's links I thought you may interested in these few FAQ's re UK Lottery.

I am still a UK resident and 'play' by using fixed numbers and paying by direct debit. If I need to make any changes I do so when I am back in the UK.

I am not sure about Euromillions - Benny has details of a website that you can play from.

Why do you think that I am playing the UK National Lottery from outside the UK and Isle of Man?

The location software we use has identified that you are accessing the National Lottery website from either a connection outside of the UK and Isle of Man or from an unknown connection.
Alternatively, if you are accessing the National Lottery website from a mobile device you may see this message each time you try to play National Lottery games or to sign in to your Account even though you are in the UK or Isle of Man. This will be because your browser does not specify your actual location. However, if you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, click the 'Accept' button to continue.
I am outside of the UK and Isle of Man and I want to play National Lottery games online and by text — what should I do?

If you are not physically in the UK or Isle of Man, or in a country where it is not lawful to play the UK National Lottery, you should not continue.
To play UK National Lottery games online and by text, you must be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times, and you must also only play in a country where it is lawful to do so. This is because, in many countries, local laws prevent the sale or purchase of tickets for any overseas lottery, including the UK National Lottery, which is not authorised there.
If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make may be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.
If you simply want to check your Account and not purchase tickets, please select the 'Accept' button to continue.
To ensure all of our players are treated fairly and consistently, the playing of UK National Lottery games in any country where it is unlawful to do so is prohibited under our Games Rules and Terms and Conditions. You agree to these when you register to play the UK National Lottery online and by text.
If you are travelling for a short period, you can buy your tickets in advance — for up to eight weeks for Lotto, four weeks for EuroMillions and one week for Daily Play. Alternatively, you may wish to play National Lottery games by Direct Debit. Please note that you must only set up the Account when you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man and must not buy additional tickets or change your regular numbers while you are in a country where the playing of an overseas lottery is not authorised. If you need any assistance in setting this up, please refer to our Direct Debit Information.
I am not currently accessing the website from outside of the UK and Isle of Man — how can I proceed?

If you are physically located in the UK and Isle of Man, click the 'Accept' button to sign in to your Account or to play National Lottery games. You must also be a resident of the UK or Isle of Man to play games through your Account.
Please note that, by clicking on the 'Accept' button while you are outside the UK or Isle of Man, you acknowledge and accept that any ticket purchases you make may be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and that we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.
What countries outside the UK and Isle of Man can I play from?

Local laws in any specific country are a matter for the authorities in those countries, not Camelot, and are subject to change. For this reason, and because there are almost 200 countries in the world, we cannot provide specific country-by-country advice.
Because we don't want anyone to miss out on a prize, we strongly advise people that, while they are travelling abroad, they should assume that it is unlawful for them to buy tickets for the UK National Lottery — and to only buy their tickets while they are in the UK or Isle of Man.
Can I check my Account information from outside of the UK and Isle of Man?

Yes, if you are presented with the 'Accept' button option, you can sign into your Account and check your Account details.
However, please note that, by clicking on the 'Accept' button while you are outside the UK or Isle of Man, you acknowledge and accept that any ticket purchases you make may be declared invalid and no prizes paid, and that we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

From what I have read Ray, the best option seems to be is ,pay the money you wish to gamble with into a friends or Families bank account that live in the UK,give them your numbers,let them place the bet and keep your fingers crossed that if your numbers come up that they pay you out.But from what I have read , money doesn't always bring you the happiness you think it will.. :(

How the Lives of 10 Lottery Millionaries went Disasterously Wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ray but surely in a court of law you could argue the point that Thailand has its own lottery is this deemed to be gambling if not surely we can still access and take part in the UK lottery? Does it also mean for the thousands of foreigners who are in the UK without citizenship are they allowed to play even if their own country does not permit them to gamble? still unclear mate...

Thanks Ray but surely in a court of law you could argue the point that Thailand has its own lottery is this deemed to be gambling if not surely we can still access and take part in the UK lottery? Does it also mean for the thousands of foreigners who are in the UK without citizenship are they allowed to play even if their own country does not permit them to gamble? still unclear mate...

This is an old link from TV......This is not new news
Uk Lottery, A Warning For Us In Thailand. - Thailand Forum

The fact is if you live in Thailand and you win and the ticket has been bought in your name they will not pay out.( Read terms and conditions )No point of Law,you have to abide by their rules or you get told to fcuk off ........A bit like most forum's...:)

This could fall into a debate about residence and domicile. The words used by UK Lottery are "You must be in the UK and be a resident of the UK to play".

I would say that if you you are a non-resident (for tax purposes) then you would be hard pressed to make a successful claim for your winnings.

I explained above how I operate (as a UK resident). It is not beyond the wit of man to find a trusted friend or relative living in the UK who can set up a fixed number arrangement, with monthly payment by direct debit. I would recommend a legal agreement (which could then be enforced it it went tits up after a win) that gave the friend/relative 10% of all winnings and you 90%.

Come to think of it, I am happy to offer my services in this respect for any expat punters goldensmile1

I've been doing this for the past year with my son in the UK, 50% each. :Cross_Fingers:

Only been £10 every now and then this last year, it's been a very poor year, but in the past i've had 5 numbers and only won £4500 for that, i've had 4 numbers many, many times where i've won anything from £40 to £170.
I think our James (son) is a bit of a jinx for me!!!

Only been £10 every now and then this last year, it's been a very poor year, but in the past i've had 5 numbers and only won £4500 for that, i've had 4 numbers many, many times where i've won anything from £40 to £170.
I think our James (son) is a bit of a jinx for me!!!

If he ever calls from the bahamas - recheck the results verycarefully goldensmile1

Had this email today:-

Please note that from 13th December 2010 we will be making some changes to our Terms and Conditions and Rules.

Summary of upcoming changes:

As well as being a UK or Isle of Man resident, to play National Lottery games online or by text you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket.

If you play by Direct Debit, you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when setting up your Direct Debit Account and also when making amendments to it, including buying additional tickets, or changing your numbers or payment details. As long as you only make these changes while you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, your tickets will be valid if you travel overseas.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

My son James puts the Lottery on in the UK through his Lottery account and I send payments to his bank account, we do have it in writing that we get 50/50, plus I get a weekly email of the official winning numbers sent to me from the National Lottery.

Pux, my wife won 7,000 baht on the 16th of this month on the Thai lottery, so she bought me a few beers. :Drink4::Drink4:

National Lottery tickets bought by Britons overseas no longer valid

New rules coming into effect next week will prevent Britons abroad from playing the National Lottery online.

nationallottery_1779035c.jpg
Britons overseas will no longer be able to play the National Lottery online Photo: digitallife / Alamy

By Leah Hyslop6:24PM GMT 06 Dec 20101 Comment

Up until now, British holiday-makers and expatriates have been able to buy National Lottery tickets online.

From December 13 however, lottery operator Camelotwill introduce a blanket ban which means that players must be physically in Britain or the Isle of Man in order to buy a valid ticket.

The National Lottery Commission, which regulates Camelot, said that the changes were being made “to make the rules clearer for people who are based overseas".

Consequently, players who purchased a winning ticket in countries where playing foreign lotteries is banned were not allowed to collect their winnings.
Although the FAQ section on Camelot's website has long advised players to assume that playing abroad is illegal, the company has been criticised for placing the responsibility of finding out if a ticket bought abroad is valid on players.
One Briton, Chris Jones from Tyne and Wear, told the website thisismoney.co.uklast year that he had lost more than £5,000 in prize money after buying a lottery ticket online while on holiday in Spain.
A spokesman for the Commission said that the decision had been made after research showed that very few countries actually allowed the purchase of foreign lottery tickets.
From next week, when players overseas try to buy a ticket, the website will show a warning message which asks them to confirm that they are inside the UK or Isle of Man before they continue.
The spokesman admitted that customers could choose to ignore the warnings but that "if you continue the purchase even though you are outside the UK, it would be in breach of the terms and conditions. If you won a prize on that ticket, you would not be paid that prize. The purpose is really to make sure that players are aware of the rules before they purchase."
She added that subscriptions set up while players were in Britain to cover the weeks they were away would be valid under the new rules.

Back