Slideshows

Fresh ... new-look passport

Slideshows

Proud ... Elliot Coutts Miller is the first owner of the new-style passport

Slideshows

Safer ... new passport has extra security features

1 of 3

spacer.gif

A FIVE-year-old boy today became the first owner of one of the new-style British passports.

Beaming Elliot Coutts Miller from Staines, Surrey, got his hands on the document just in time for a family holiday.
He picked up his new passport at the counter of the London Passport Office in Victoria, central London.
The new-look document, first unveiled in August, contains a number of improved security features.
And its pages also contain images of well-known UK scenes, including the White Cliffs of Dover, the Gower Peninsula, Ben Nevis and the Giant's Causeway,
Elliot, who was given time off from school to pick up his passport in person, said: "I am very excited with my new passport. I like the pictures, especially the butterfly."
The new passports will be phased in this month.
From December most applicants applying for a passport will get the new version, with all applicants receiving it from October next year.
Immigration Minister Damian Green said: "I am delighted Elliot is the first person to receive this new passport which has been redesigned to ensure it remains as secure a document as ever.
"The passport contains strengthened security measures, which includes designs of iconic images from across the nation, making the passport difficult to forge and helping ensure the British passport remains a highly trusted passport meeting rigorous international standards."

Read more: Passport gets new identity | The Sun |News

Back