UK pension advice

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
Just a quick Question on UK pensions.
In June next year i will start to draw my UK pension.
How long do i have to be absent from the UK for it to have an effect, if any on my pension?

At present i am living here for six months and returning UK six months,but am considering
spending more time here, but not the full twelve months.

One for Prakhonchai Nick but I believe that once you are 'non resident' you will not get the annual increases i.e. it is frozen.

Basically the pension dept will allow you up to 3 months "holiday" in any year in Thailand, without it affecting your annual increases. More than that and you will suffer like the rest of us. However during any time you are back in the UK, the EEC or any other non -frozen country, you can receive the pension with the increase that would apply.

You should apply 3/4 months before your 65th birthday.

Providing the correct documents are sent, it will likely take 2 months to process enabling first payment to be made 4 weeks AFTER the 65th birthday.

I would recommend that where possible, payment is made into a UK bank at 4 weekly (not 13 weekly) intervals.

Basically the pension dept will allow you up to 3 months "holiday" in any year in Thailand, without it affecting your annual increases. More than that and you will suffer like the rest of us. However during any time you are back in the UK, the EEC or any other non -frozen country, you can receive the pension with the increase that would apply.

You should apply 3/4 months before your 65th birthday.

Sorry if i appear a little nieve on this subject, but if i keep my home in the UK and therefore pay council tax how would the pensions department know where i am at any given time?

You are most likely electronically linked via passport control to any govt. agency if you are out of the country
if you receive a govt. pension.

Sorry if i appear a little nieve on this subject, but if i keep my home in the UK and therefore pay council tax how would the pensions department know where i am at any given time?

Big brother is watching - they know exactly where you are and the immigration stamps are a bit of a giveaway.

[/FONT]
Sorry if i appear a little nieve on this subject, but if i keep my home in the UK and therefore pay council tax how would the pensions department know where i am at any given time?[/QUOTE

The fact of the matter is that they have you by the short and curlies - if you do not tell them , they can sue you and if , you do tell them , they will not provide any increases. My pension consisted of 25% from the Australian Government - When I told them I was living in Thailand , I promptly lost that 25% . It doesn't matter that you worked and paid your taxes for 50 years or that you served your country - to get top benefits constantly , you have to be an illegal immigrant

ShitHappens1

Pension advice please.

I have 30 odd years maybe 40 till i draw my pension, will it be functioning by then or will we all be bartering in Gold coins and Living in a town headed by ''Aunty'' a Tina Turner Lookalike?

The lengthy form you fill in to claim your pension asks searching questions of all overseas trips over many years, and if answered truthfully, will ensure that your pension is frozen.

If answered untruthfully, you may get away with it for a while, but you will forever be "looking over your shoulder", and when they catch up with you, it will cost you more than just repayment.

So you're a sick senior citizen and the government says there is no nursing home available for you -

what do you do?

Senior Health Care Solution

Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older a gun and 4 bullets.

You are allowed to shoot 2 MPs and 2 illegal immigrants!

Of course, this means you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head, central heating, air conditioning and all the health care you need!

New teeth? - No problem.

Need glasses? - Great.

New hip, knees, kidney, lungs, heart?

All covered.

(And your kids can come and visit you as often as they do now).

And who will be paying for all of this?

The same government that just told you that you they cannot afford for you to go into a home.

Plus, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay income tax any more.

IS THE UK A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT?

No wonder the rest of the world’s population can’t get here fast enough!

Britain 'agrees to open frozen pension talks' with Australia

The British Government has finally agreed to open discussions with Australia about the freezing of expat pensions, Australian minister declares.

macklin_2225218c.jpg
Australian minister Jenny Macklin heralded the beginning of talks on the frozen pensions issue as a "positive step' Photo: AFP/Getty Images

By Ava Hubble

2:10PM BST 05 Sep 2012
comments.gif
29 Comments

The British Government is to open discussions with Australia regarding the UK’s controversial “frozen pensions” policy, an Australian minister has claimed.

The alleged breakthrough came after a meeting in London last Thursday between Iain Duncan Smith, Britain’s secretary of state for work and pensions, and the Australian government minister responsible for the frozen pensions issue, Jenny Macklin.

Ms Macklin, who is the minister for families, community services and indigenous affairs, has now issued a statement announcing that during their meeting Mr Duncan Smith gave her a commitment that the British Government would open discussions about the policy with the Australian government.

She also said Mr Duncan Smith had agreed to open discussions with British pensioners in Australia about options they have put forward regarding the scrapping of the policy.

Britain's frozen pensions policy means that around 500,000 British retirees in over 100, mostly Commonwealth, countries have not had their British pensions increased in line with inflation since they emigrated. In some cases that was over 20 years ago when the basic British weekly pension was £54.15. It is now about £107.

Related Articles

More than half of those expats, about 252,000, are living in Australia. The Australian government provides around 190,000 of them with means-tested Australian assistance to make ends meet. This assistance costs Australia about $A110 million (approximately £71 million) a year.
In her statement, Ms Macklin left no doubt that during her meeting with Mr Duncan Smith she made it plain that Australia was losing patience with Britain’s refusal to discuss the issue.
“All UK pensioners paid into the National Insurance Fund under the same rules, in good faith, and the Australian government believes they should be paid their pensions under the same conditions no matter where they now live,” she said.
“I made my feelings on this issue clear to my UK counterpart. He's now agreed to look at the options that have been proposed by UK pensioners in Australia – it’s a positive step forward on an important issue."
Campaigners in Australia and other countries have put forward several options for resolving the frozen pensions crisis without over-straining British Government budgets. One suggestion is that the Government “defrosts” expats’ pensions in annual stages, beginning with the granting of immediate pension parity to those pensioners who are 85 or older. That group includes British ex-service men and women who went on to contribute to the National Insurance Fund during working lives than spanned 40 years or more.
The Department of Work and Pensions however said that there were currently "no plans" to change the pensions policy.
“The UK state pension is payable worldwide but is only uprated abroad where we have a legal requirement or reciprocal agreement," a spokesman said.
“We will continue to speak to officials as part of a wider commitment to exchange views on a range of policies. The Government has no plans to change its current arrangements for uprating pensions paid abroad.”
Mr Duncan Smith's office was unable to respond in time for this article.

In a statement issued in Canberra, Ms Macklin said that "The Australian government considers the indexation policy of the United Kingdom Government unfair and discriminatory".

"All UK pensioners paid into the National Insurance Fund under the same rules, in good faith, and the Australian government believes they should be paid their pensions under the same conditions no matter where they now live," she announced.

The frozen pensions policy currently penalises about 555,000 British expats in over 100 countries. But more than half of all those expats (252,000) are living in Australia. In line with the frozen pensions policy, their British pensions have not been uprated in line with inflation since they emigrated. Consequently, many frozen pensioners who emigrated a long time ago survive only with the help of means-tested Australian assistance.

Ms Macklin said that around 190,000 of Britain's frozen pensioners currently receive an Australian age pension or partial pension, for which the estimated cost is roughly AUS$100 million (£70 million) a year. She pointed out that Australia would be saved that outlay if British expats received "fairly indexed" pensions from their home country.

"I have raised the issue several times with my UK counterparts," she said. "I have urged them to discuss options for resolving this long-standing issue."

And why should we be responsible for their pensions...Sure as hell there's no reciprocating!

As British Telecom used to say...

"Its good to talk"

I am glad the Ozzy's have got the balls to question this! Cool3Cool3Cool3

(even though it took a woman) LMAO1

For your information about the UK State Pension. Just thought I would share my experience with the rest of you coming up for a State Pension.

I will not keep it a secret but I will be 65 on 18th January 2013. In accordance with the guidance laid down by the Department for Works and Pensions, I submitted my claim for the UK State Pension 4 months before the due date on 18th September 2012. I had downloaded and printed the application from the internet. I had heard some horror stories about how long this Government Department took to process an application so I was pleasantly surprised when I received their reply, dated 2 October 2012. The reply arrived in Thailand about one week later. All was in order and I am now entitled to a UK State Pension at the weekly amount of £117.77 from 23rd January 2013. This sum comprises of £107.45 basic state pension plus some extras that I wasn't expecting - thank you! This will be paid into my bank account every 4 weeks.

Back