UK pension advice

For your information about the UK State Pension. Just thought I would share my experience with the rest of you coming up for a State Pension.

I will not keep it a secret but I will be 65 on 18th January 2013. In accordance with the guidance laid down by the Department for Works and Pensions, I submitted my claim for the UK State Pension 4 months before the due date on 18th September 2012. I had downloaded and printed the application from the internet. I had heard some horror stories about how long this Government Department took to process an application so I was pleasantly surprised when I received their reply, dated 2 October 2012. The reply arrived in Thailand about one week later. All was in order and I am now entitled to a UK State Pension at the weekly amount of £117.77 from 23rd January 2013. This sum comprises of £107.45 basic state pension plus some extras that I wasn't expecting - thank you! This will be paid into my bank account every 4 weeks.

Excellent service for a change.

I hope the money is being paid into a UK bank rather than a Thai one. If direct to a Thai bank, the exchange rate used for conversion is not so good. Better to transfer the money here yourself.

PN - the money will be going into a UK Offshore Account. I will transfer it at the same time as my other pension for the lowly sum of £5.00 per transfer. I could transfer for free but I prefer the priority service.

Back