UK Pensions

3.1% was the September CPI figure which is used for state pensin increases.......................for those fortunate to receive an increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The other inflation figure of 4.9% was RPI which was the forerunner of CPI and is still used by many employers for their pension increases.

Those who have not yet claimed state pension will of course find the starting rate increases next April

Bloody pension increases! That's all expats appear to speak about these days. It's bloody boring for those who do not receive increases.

bored.png
I'm reverting to something more interesting .................. like visas and extensions.

I suppose that, at least, has some relevance to us.

Are there any members on SF who actually receive the annual state pension increase?

I am only aware of one who was and one who is likely to in a couple of years.

Maybe there might be a few who havn't started receiving a Government pension yet, so news about increases are of interest (Co-Co?).

Not I, sir, but anyone who spends 6 months in the UK (or, presumably, a country such as the Philippines where the increases are provided*) will receive them automatically.

Full list:
These are sometimes known as ‘bilateral agreements’ or ‘reciprocal agreements’.

If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year:

• Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • the Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey
  • Kosovo
  • Mauritius
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA
The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

Not I, sir, but anyone who spends 6 months in the UK (or, presumably, a country such as the Philippines where the increases are provided*) will receive them automatically.

Full list:
These are sometimes known as ‘bilateral agreements’ or ‘reciprocal agreements’.

If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year:

• Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • the Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey
  • Kosovo
  • Mauritius
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA
The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

We were aware that our pensions would be frozen when we came to Thailand. No point complaining
It has to be wrong in principle that people who paid their National Insurance while working do not get their proper pension benefits in retirement, wherever they currently live, but in the present economic climate there is zero chance of that changing.
Where there are no bilateral agreements, like Thailand, the RDR3 Statutory Residence Test determines whether folks living abroad part-time qualify for the usual UK resident's benefits, pension increases being one of them. Things can be amortised over a number of years. I was sometimes out of the country for more than 6 months of the year when I was working.
But increases, while welcome, are relative - my pension increase this last year was less than the extra I paid to Portsmouth City Council for their taxes, let alone other UK increases.

Back