Visa arrival

alanthebuilder

Administrator
My Son
Danny wife and Baby are coming over for around 3 weeks , half way into his visit we are off to Siam Reap for a 3 night trip .

Question - On the return to Thailand will they need - proof of funds ,address ,onward tickets ?

I was in Laos last month and some American guy got a real hard time about this !
Danny has all these things but just need to know does they need to take all this with them ?

Alan, from experience, if you're crossing most likely at CC then take everything. A couple of imm.officials are dogs and enjoy hardship on farangs.

I came back through Chong Chom with my UK daughter and son in law last month. Nothing was asked for . My Thai address was shown on the TM6

My Son
Danny wife and Baby are coming over for around 3 weeks , half way into his visit we are off to Siam Reap for a 3 night trip .

Question - On the return to Thailand will they need - proof of funds ,address ,onward tickets ?

I was in Laos last month and some American guy got a real hard time about this !
Danny has all these things but just need to know does they need to take all this with them ?

I have not heard of a conflict on this at Chong Chom. The Mukdahan crossing into Lao gets all the doggy runners for visas from Savannahketh so its not surprising that Thai Immigration is clamping down there. Saying that I would advise him to be on the safe side and as the Boy Scout m0tto is "Be Prepare". I do my first border hop on the 23 October as I have a Multy O I obtained from the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. You can bet your arse I will have proof of funds on me as there have been report from OTHER crossing of immigration enforcing this on an O-Multy.

I was not aware that you have to have proof of funds to enter on a visa exemption. Not that I've entered with a visa exemption since about 16 years ago.

I was not aware that you have to have proof of funds to enter on a visa exemption. Not that I've entered with a visa exemption since about 16 years ago.
that's correct. Danny will be on a tourist visa and 20k baht in cash may be required on entry.

new rules mate , 1 month to 3 month extensions need to show 20.000 or so a month and ongoing tickets

There's a difference between a tourist visa and a visa exemption.

Your on an extension to stay and in most cases the 20k rule would not be applied to you, but don't bet the house on it. If immigration is on the rag you could be forked. Dany Boy will be on a visa exempt and It does apply to him. ATB and I are on Multy O's and its up to the discretion of immigration at a crossing if they want to fork with us when we do our hops. Crossing at Poipet and on the Maylasin border are notoriously known for requiring the 20k for a hop on an O-Mult. As for Chong Chom as I said up to know there has been no problem but this could change.

new rules mate , 1 month to 3 month extensions need to show 20.000 or so a month and ongoing tickets

Alan.. This is NOT a new rule. Its been on the books since day 1. Over the past 2 years they dusted it off and started to enforce it do to all the back to back to back visa runners. As usual the interpretation of it is up to the IO at any given crossing and this is where the unprepared can get porked.

GL is spot on.

However, the chances your family getting harassed at either point of entry is negligible. On the return from Siem Reap you are a family group and will be left alone.

This long standing rule is designed to combat individuals who are using visa exempt entries inappropriately, and possibly are working illegally in Thailand.

Never say never though...

It is my understanding that a visa on arrival is valid for a stay of up to 15 days in Thailand and only certain nationalities are eligible (Brits not being one of them).

It is my understanding that a visa on arrival is valid for a stay of up to 15 days in Thailand and only certain nationalities are eligible (Brits not being one of them).

List of countries eligible for the Visa on Arrival:

1. Andorra
  2. Bulgaria
  3. Bhutan
  4. China
  5. Cyprus
  6. Ethiopia
  7. Fiji
  8. India
  9. Kazakhstan
  10. Latvia
  11. Lithuania
  12. Maldives
  13. Malta
  14. Mauritius
  15. Papua New Guinea
  16. Romania
  17. San Marino
  18. Saudi Arabia
  19. Taiwan
  20. Ukraine
  21. Uzbekistan

I see in the list that Taiwan is a country. Not even the USA can do that. I checked your source to see if there was any proviso in the list. Some lists had a mysterious asterix next to the list, but had no reference to it's meaning. China will not be happy if they find out that Thailand is now considering Taiwan a country. May sound nit picking but I can assure anybody China takes it quite seriously.

I see in the list that Taiwan is a country. Not even the USA can do that. I checked your source to see if there was any proviso in the list. Some lists had a mysterious asterix next to the list, but had no reference to it's meaning. China will not be happy if they find out that Thailand is now considering Taiwan a country. May sound nit picking but I can assure anybody China takes it quite seriously.

I remember when the infamous Sid Waddell commentated on the pool in Asia. He always stated that the players were from Chinese Taipei.

Your on an extension to stay and in most cases the 20k rule would not be applied to you, but don't bet the house on it. If immigration is on the rag you could be forked. Dany Boy will be on a visa exempt and It does apply to him. ATB and I are on Multy O's and its up to the discretion of immigration at a crossing if they want to fork with us when we do our hops. Crossing at Poipet and on the Maylasin border are notoriously known for requiring the 20k for a hop on an O-Mult. As for Chong Chom as I said up to know there has been no problem but this could change.
I can go in and out all day long mate because I hav have a 1 year visa .
It's Danny I'm thinking of mate

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Back