What is Grandma's life worth ?

I have left clear instructions for my wife - keep it minimal! Buy no food or drink for anyone, no gambling either, and that will keep the numbers down. Get the job done as quick as you can.

You make light of this, but the reality should be quite the opposite. If you have not experienced death in a Thai family yet, then you are in for some new experiences. You, as a farang, should in my opinion definitely have a will and it should be quite specific about your desires. I think you should be able to get excellent advice about this from member Prachonchai Nick, but like most everything in Thailand, up to you.

You make light of this, but the reality should be quite the opposite. If you have not experienced death in a Thai family yet, then you are in for some new experiences. You, as a farang, should in my opinion definitely have a will and it should be quite specific about your desires. I think you should be able to get excellent advice about this from member Prachonchai Nick, but like most everything in Thailand, up to you.
and even then they do what they want Mario ... just ask Nick ...

I have left clear instructions for my wife - keep it minimal! Buy no food or drink for anyone, no gambling either, and that will keep the numbers down. Get the job done as quick as you can.
Here in our neck of the Khmer woods there is no gambling or drinking at funerals. Tons of food, yes, Chinese tables filled with many courses of food, but no drinking or booze, thankfully.

I appreciate that. But the Thai wife is generally "in charge" of the Farang husband's funeral which, in my experience, lasts no longer than a day.

I was involved with assisting the widow of a farang, after the funeral. Due to the death occurring around the time of the late King's birthday in December some years ago, and other factors, the cremation was 9 days after death.

In many cases farang funerals are delayed for several days to allow overseas relatives time to come to Thailand.

I personally favour the Indian way. Die before 11am, cremated same day.

But for all of us it will not be up to us! No matter what you want, what you tell the wife (and she agrees to) at the end of the day its all about Face, and a farang deserves the best cremation possible.

Here in our neck of the Khmer woods there is no gambling or drinking at funerals. Tons of food, yes, Chinese tables filled with many courses of food, but no drinking or booze, thankfully.

In my village, the gambling starts after the monks have had their last chant early evening, and stops when they arrive to chant again the following morning. Repeats itself until the cremation. Police accept it!

Told my Mrs many times I want no monks, and if they come I will jump out of my box. Strikes the fear of Buddha into her!:eek::D

My wife grandmother dig went on for 5 days and night. Chanting monk concerts for 5 nights and they were sold out. The dosh that was taken in was unbelievable. I was limited to just two large Leos per day. The powers to be wanted me up font with the family and vips but I stayed in the back in the AMAN row with home boys.:D

Very few funerals in my village have booze..just lots and lots of food and chanting.. However once the monks have gone and the gambling starts, the gamblers produce their own alcohol.

There is booze my village but not like it was, it has been seriously cut back and I have not seen any gambling.

Told my Mrs many times I want no monks, and if they come I will jump out of my box. Strikes the fear of Buddha into her!:eek::D

No worries Nick, she loves you.
You'll probably have nine monks chanting three or four days for you.

(Really, once your dead what difference will it make.)

No worries Nick, she loves you.
You'll probably have nine monks chanting three or four days for you.

(Really, once your dead what difference will it make.)

I do not want one single baht of the money I propose leaving to my wife and children to go to the monks. Unnecessary chants, 3 times a day for x number of days can cost a fair amount.....My first Thai wife's uncle who died in Korat province some 30 years ago, did not want monks or any of the trappings. His family respected his wishes and he was cremated on a big bonfire.

Back