What is the purpose of this?

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
20160125_184126.jpg 20160125_184201.jpg The following picture's are of the wash hand basin in my hotel room in Cambodia.
It is not the fist time I have come across this model basin, and curiosity has got the better
of me. Does anyone know the reason for the oval shaped piece of ceramic that covers the waste hole?

Attachments

• 20160125_184201.jpg
    20160125_184201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I doubt that there is any function to the porcelain insert. The drain hole for the water has a plug device fitted already. I guess its to make the bowl look more beautiful - can't think of any other reason.

Geniuses, it's to keep the creepy spiders, water bugs, cockroaches 'n small snakes from crawling out and to keep mozzies from congregating inside the drain when no one is looking. ;)

Personally I believe they forgot to emboss their name on the sink itself, hence...:confused:

I think it is there to catch the carrots if you are throwing up!

There is no useful information in the Thai script on the web page. All it says it is easy to keep clean and adds function ability to your home. Advertising speak.

If I was to guess I would put Coffee's suggestion forward. Mozies breeding in the trap and Cockroaches coming up through. I have seen the damned things swimming through the trap of a crapper and entering the bathroom.

But seems a bit excessive if that was indeed is the reason. What about the toilet and floor drain, eliminating one source is not much good.

Asking the " professionals" @ any of the mentioned outlets, would be like masturbating with a cheese grater, feels good when it's over. f**ks me what it is. Maybe a " Wig wam" for a gooses bridle.

Cotto have several models of washbasins with these ceramic waste covers. FWIW, on their website, they state: "With Ceramics Drain Cover closer plug-waste to enhance its beauty."

Cotto have several models of washbasins with these ceramic waste covers. FWIW, on their website, they state: "With Ceramics Drain Cover closer plug-waste to enhance its beauty."

Well done Merlin, exactly what I surmised in post #4 - "I guess its to make the bowl look more beautiful - can't think of any other reason."

Back