What type ofvisa should I get?

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
In the past when returning to LOS I have always obtained a "multi entry non imigrant O" visa for our 6 month stay. The cost for this visa here in the Uk is £125.00 they will only accept payment by Postal order, this adds another approx £12.00 to the cost, plus they want £10.00 for return postage. This brings the cost to just shy of £150.00!!
When we come over in the new year we will only be staying for 3 months, so am not keen to spend all that money for a short trip.
A single entry Non O will cost £50.00 and is valid for 90 days, our trip is 94 days.
I intend to make a trip to the Philippines in march for 10/12 days, on my return will I be granted the 30 days visa exemption that would cover me until our flight home?
Another option I have, would be to get a single entry "Tourist" visa £25.00 this permits entry for 60 days. I can organise my trip to PI to leave towards the end of the 60 period, leave for 10/12 days and hopefully re enter LOS on the 30 day visa exempt?
Final question. My Thai driving licence ran out in June this year, will they renew it on a Tourist visa, or would it have to be the Non Imm?

Driving licence

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Qualifying requirements:
  • Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
  • If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

Driving licence
  • if the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

As far as I am aware, a current holder of a full UK licence is legally permitted to drive in Thailand for up to three months (each visit).

As far as I am aware, a current holder of a full UK licence is legally permitted to drive in Thailand for up to three months (each visit).

Interestingly, Stuart has been living in Thailand for well over 20 years on multi-entry O visas. As he has to leave the country every 90 days (plus once/year back to UK) he has been driving on his UK licence for the whole of that period.

Sounds like a single entry TV (£25 plus the postal and return package) leave for the PI just before 60 days and re-enter on a 30 day exemption? Yorky licence suggestion seems the least hassle option

An International Driving Permit is good to go, I am not so sure a UK Driving Licence is. I think Rice has some experience of this and may well chip with his 5 pence worth.

An International Driving Permit is good to go, I am not so sure a UK Driving Licence is. I think Rice has some experience of this and may well chip with his 5 pence worth.

I don't think that Stuart has or has had an IDP. A completely useless document in this case in my opinion. The IDP is to provide a translation of the language of the document itself. None of the UK IDPs that I've seen have a translation into the Thai language.

In the past when returning to LOS I have always obtained a "multi entry non imigrant O" visa for our 6 month stay. The cost for this visa here in the Uk is £125.00 they will only accept payment by Postal order, this adds another approx £12.00 to the cost, plus they want £10.00 for return postage. This brings the cost to just shy of £150.00!!
When we come over in the new year we will only be staying for 3 months, so am not keen to spend all that money for a short trip.
A single entry Non O will cost £50.00 and is valid for 90 days, our trip is 94 days.
I intend to make a trip to the Philippines in march for 10/12 days, on my return will I be granted the 30 days visa exemption that would cover me until our flight home?
Another option I have, would be to get a single entry "Tourist" visa £25.00 this permits entry for 60 days. I can organise my trip to PI to leave towards the end of the 60 period, leave for 10/12 days and hopefully re enter LOS on the 30 day visa exempt?
Final question. My Thai driving licence ran out in June this year, will they renew it on a Tourist visa, or would it have to be the Non Imm?

My brother and SIL arrive Thailand 7th Jan, we go to Phnom Penh 3/6th February and Vietnam 2/7th March and they fly home 4th April.

That itinerary ensures they do not need to get visas (and can show flights out if, in the unlikely event, they are asked by an IO to do so).

Thank you for your replies Gentlemen.
Have decided to go for the Single entry tourist visa@ £25.00 + postage and the bloody duty on the PO.
will apply for an International driving permit, and forget about my Thai licence.

I don't think that Stuart has or has had an IDP. A completely useless document in this case in my opinion. The IDP is to provide a translation of the language of the document itself. None of the UK IDPs that I've seen have a translation into the Thai language.

As long as you're on a Multi O (15 month). Single O (90 days), Tourist Visa 60/30 or visa exempt 30 days you're home country DL is accepted BUT Thailand being somewhat backwards is still requiring an IDP. People are still getting popped by the BiB's . Yes get a 60 day tourist visa which can be extended for another 30 days for 1900 baht at immigration. The cost of an IDP is jack shyt in your home. If you go to the PI's you can get a 30 day visa exempt on your return but be prepared to show the equivalent of 20,000 baht at immigration on your return as they have gotten arse holed on jumping out and in as you plane on doing.

Driving licence

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Qualifying requirements:
  • Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
  • If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

Actual that's BS they will renew but he goes back to a 2 year temp.

As you know @nomad97 I have had quite a bit of experience of the law in this regard. GL pointed out quite accurately that an IDP is still required by Thai law and the BIB are clamping down on this in the last two years. They are also clamping down on Farangs that are on visas other then holiday or exempt. This was shouted in my face by a nice officer to get a Thai license.
Oh to cap of the "YES" you need an IDP narrative it was pointed out to me by police after a minor accident in Ubon, that I needed one. On that occasion my insurance agent convinced the Officer in charge to drop that charge. I am a devoted insurance customer of that company to the present date.

Who issues an IDP...a bloody auto association. Not even a legal document. You can lawfully drive on your own country's issued d/l. Of periods up to 3 months.
For reasons best known to Thai authority, it seems they recognise the IDP. It was brought in only to support the fact you have a license issued by a country recognised in agreement.

I rented the car I'm using for the month from Bkk Airport using my Vic. license. No problem,

Who issues an IDP...a bloody auto association. Not even a legal document. You can lawfully drive on your own country's issued d/l. Of periods up to 3 months.
For reasons best known to Thai authority, it seems they recognise the IDP. It was brought in only to support the fact you have a license issued by a country recognised in agreement.

I rented the car I'm using for the month from Bkk Airport using my Vic. license. No problem,

...... and if stopped by the BiB ?

Several years ago the tam ruat told me that anIDP was required - he even offered to take me to Lahansai police station to show me an 3xample of one.

UK government website says IDP is required. Hiring a car is a different matter,

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

Actual that's BS they will renew but he goes back to a 2 year temp.
Not sure what part you are saying is BS, but when I did this at Prasat a few months ago they told me I had to have Non-immigrant status to get license, couldn't do on the tourist visa I arrived here with. I was trying to renew my expired 5- year license (expired for 1 1/2 years!), so once I got extension of stay based on marriage, and took form from SI to prove this, I was able to take test and renew for another 5-year license.

Back