Where have all the tokays gone?

isanbirder

Surin Dinosaur
There were five or six tokays commonly resident in my house. I knew most of their hiding-places, and enjoyed the occasional raucous call. About a week ago, they all disappeared. I haven't even seen their main enemy, the lovely Golden Tree Snake.

I hope this is not the Isan equivalent of rats leaving the sinking ship?

We still have many (tokays, not snakes). My wife is terrified of them. And they are terrified of my wife.

Funny old world..........

Maybe it was you that dumped that 3 meter long rat snake in my dog house IB. LOL! Seriously though, SWMBO was talking to our neighbour after the event and he said that he had seen a 1 meter long black snake in his yard a few weeks ago. He said it may be the same one. SWMBO replied that it was too short to qualify but the neighbour retorted that it had probably grown a little since he saw it. My own theory is that the snake had been slithering around at roof level, out of sight and out of mind. With the trees, drain pipes, wall and fences it is relatively easy for the snake to move around the adjoining properties unseen. No tokays round here mind you - the snake probably had those too.

Agree with you, IB, about the tokays. We had a few big ones calling every evening but not recently.
Maybe they know something we don't.

When I took over my house some 15 years ago, there were a family of tokays living under the floorboards and having access to the cupboard under the stairs. I managed to relocate them into an enclosed pipe in the garage, and this year when I converted the garage to my "den" I left a small hole above the plasterboard ceiling to allow them access/egress

Not sure how many I have, but I would estimate 20+.. Many small ones come out at night.

Some years ago, someone offered me a relatively substantial sum for them. I declined. They are family. Never make a problem, nor have they ever,

My step-daughter often tries to scare my grandson with tokays. I counter, saying, "tokays eat mosquitos, tokays are our friends."

Have around 10 living behind a cupboard in the garden,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they've been there several years,currently around 20 eggs stuck to the wall

Back