Yellow house book

ColinW

Surin relic
I am sure this has been discussed before but could GL or other knowledgeable members clarify if it is compulsory to obtain a yellow book or is it just a nice to have to facilitate things like a Thai driving licence.

I have a yellow book and believe it is a nice to have, Wood is telling a friend it is compulsory although he won't drive

I have never heard that it's compulsory. I'd hazard a guess most long term expats haven't bothered with getting one even though it's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an expert on Thai Law. However, with a 99.99% degree of confidence factor I would say that a yellow house book is not a mandatory requirement for Farangs living in Thailand. I've been here or hereabouts for the past 15 years and only got my yellow house book last year (virtually the same time as Yorky to the day). And, the only reason my wife, SWMBO, bothered to get the book was because she thought it would be less hassle in the future than obtaining a Letter of Residence from Immigration, either one or the other is required to renew your Thai Driving Licence. For those that remember, last year Immigration said they would not issue a Letter of Residence unless the Authority that required such letter wrote a letter to Immigration to request one.

It is and never has been compulsory. Personally they are a waste of time and energy to obtain. In the 8 years I have had my YTB I have never been able to us it.

It is and never has been compulsory. Personally they are a waste of time and energy to obtain. In the 8 years I have had my YTB I have never been able to us it.
The same could be said about a Letter of Residency and that is only valid for 30 days and cost 500 baht (I know, its supposed to be free). On the other hand the Yellow Book is good for your lifetime and its free!

The same could be said about a Letter of Residency and that is only valid for 30 days and cost 500 baht (I know, its supposed to be free). On the other hand the Yellow Book is good for your lifetime and its free!

No its not. The cost depends on your ampur requirement. My YTB cost me 1000 baht. No two amphurs have the same requirements. At the moment at KCI if you bring a letter from the DLT requesting a CR there is no charge.

I have been unable to reconcile that. LoR 30 days validity, YTB lifetime validity.

Of course, TiT.

In normal everyday life, it's good for buying and selling vehicles and for obtaining the driving licence (which reminds me - mine expires at this year's end).

No its not. The cost depends on your ampur requirement. My YTB cost me 1000 baht. No two amphurs have the same requirements. At the moment at KCI if you bring a letter from the DLT requesting a CR there is no charge.
Can't understand your logic there GL.
Without my yellow book I would have to travel to DLT wait in the queue and get a letter requesting a letter of residence from immigration, travel to kc wait in the queue then travel back. Diesel costs and time?

Without my yellow book I would have to travel to DLT wait in the queue and get a letter requesting a letter of residence from immigration, travel to kc wait in the queue then travel back. Diesel costs and time?

Im talking fact.:eek: If you want a YTB its up to you.:rolleyes: Question. How often will you need a YTB?o_O

Im talking fact.:eek: If you want a YTB its up to you.:rolleyes: Question. How often will you need a YTB?o_O

I guess the answer to that is every 5 years for renewing a driving licence and anytime you want to trade a car.

I have not heard of it being compulsory either. I have one but I know of plenty of farangs that haven't bothered.

I would bother but I am not going to marry just because the big cheese in Prakhonchai says it is a requirement.

Will I get into wat pra kaew next week for free if I show them it? Genuine question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do you need a letter of residence?

I have not needed a CR for 4 years. Let me give you some history. I arrived on these shores in 06 on a Tourist Visa (60days). In that 60 day period I obtain a DL and purchased my first vehicle. My 2 CR's were free back then. 1 year latter (2007) I obtain my 5 year DL which required another CR and also was free. The next year ,2008, I purchased a new vehicle which required another CR at which time I said screw it and put the vehicle in my wife name. All of this was in Chiang Mai. BTW my wife and I are legally married 10 years and counting.:D So in basically the first 365 days I was in Thailand I needed 3 CR's and not another CR until 2012 when in July of 2012 I renewed my 5 Year DL for a new 5 DL I obtained my YTB in the last part of 2008 in Amphur Doi Saket (1000 baht):mad: I had it legally transferred to Kap Choeng in 2012.:D When I tried to use it at the Surin DLT they said f**k off so back to KCI for a CR.:mad: Thats is the last CR I have had. As for using it as residency proof some institution will accept it and some won't and this includes immigration. There are Thai institution that will only accept a CR.;) Now saying all this for the BS I went through getting a YTB and the use of it I only see 3 options 1 for a DL, 2 for buying a vehicle and 3 for shit paper, somewhat slick but will do in an emergency and yes you can bragging rights:D. Also in response to your original post and yes I'm blunt..:p:p

Are you that lazy ,cheep Charlie or skint. I here comments like yours and they give me a butt ache.:mad::eek::mad::eek: Saying that I still love you.:D:D:D:D Now check with your amphora for THEIR REQUIREMENTS and if you need slick TP and bragging rights go for it.:D[/QUOTE]

There was a time some years ago, and may stiill be current, that the big boss at the Prakhonchai refused point blank to issue yellow book to foreigners

Note also that they cannot be used forUK passport renewals-as proof of residence- unless they are less than one year old..

I have not needed a CR for 4 years. Let me give you some history. I arrived on these shores in 06 on a Tourist Visa (60days). In that 60 day period I obtain a DL and purchased my first vehicle. My 2 CR's were free back then. 1 year latter (2007) I obtain my 5 year DL which required another CR and also was free. The next year ,2008, I purchased a new vehicle which required another CR at which time I said screw it and put the vehicle in my wife name. All of this was in Chiang Mai. BTW my wife and I are legally married 10 years and counting.:D So in basically the first 365 days I was in Thailand I needed 3 CR's and not another CR until 2012 when in July of 2012 I renewed my 5 Year DL for a new 5 DL I obtained my YTB in the last part of 2008 in Amphur Doi Saket (1000 baht):mad: I had it legally transferred to Kap Choeng in 2012.:D When I tried to use it at the Surin DLT they said f**k off so back to KCI for a CR.:mad: Thats is the last CR I have had. As for using it as residency proof some institution will accept it and some won't and this includes immigration. There are Thai institution that will only accept a CR.;) Now saying all this for the BS I went through getting a YTB and the use of it I only see 3 options 1 for a DL, 2 for buying a vehicle and 3 for shit paper, somewhat slick but will do in an emergency and yes you can bragging rights:D. Also in response to your original post and yes I'm blunt..:p:p

Are you that lazy ,cheep Charlie or skint. I here comments like yours and they give me a butt ache.:mad::eek::mad::eek: Saying that I still love you.:D:D:D:D Now check with your amphora for THEIR REQUIREMENTS and if you need slick TP and bragging rights go for it.:D
[/QUOTE]
What a load of shite. FFS. No bragging rights here I couldn't care less who has a fukin yellow book.
I got the book within 1 month of the house being built and it took 1 fukin hour in the surin office. Used it for both temporary and 5 year license and changed the ownership of the car.
Get fuked[emoji33]

Back